Post-Game Talk: Isles over Devs 5-4 (OT)

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Watching the replay of Henriques goal. Man is he clutch and so smart. He is going to be such a huge part of this team going forward. Him getting his first in his first game back takes a lot of the sting out of the loss. Haven't yet seen a full game replay but I take it Larsson had a bit of a rough return?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Here are my conclusions after last night's game:

-Kovalchuk: Put him back on left wing. He ends up there anyway on breakouts. It is obvious he is more comfortable on that side. In addition, if you look at the rosters around the league.... it will be MUCH easier to find a right wing to put on his line compared to a left wing. Also, put him back on the left point on the power play. Zidlicky does a good job but Kovy's slapper is much more powerful and dangerous.

-Zajac: So hard to get this guy off the puck which is great. I think he should be the second line center. It would give this team more depth. My fake lineup is at the bottom of this post.

-Elias: Looks like his skating speed is very slow. I do like that he's trying to shoot more lately. He just needs some luck.

-Zidlicky: I thought last night was one of his best games as a Devil. As long as he is partnered with a defensive minded d-man, he can be a terrific asset. Great passing, vision, good shot, puck control.

-Greene/Salvador/Volchenkov: I don't get it. They all have flashes of brilliance... but the mistakes/brainfarts/fumbles are getting old fast. Our defense is completely inept when it comes to clearing the zone. There were also at least 3-4 moments where one of these guys could have kept the puck in the offensive zone but just backed away and let the Isles get it.

-Larsson: This kid needs to stay in the lineup.

-Henrique: SO SO glad to have him back. Great goal. He makes the team THAT much better.

-Tallinder: Great goal and good overall game for him. Seems to me like Volchenkov/Greene/Fayne are my list of "wouldn't mind too much if traded."

-Carter/Gio/Bernier: Great to see all of these guys on the scoresheet only six games into the season.

-Barch: I still don't want a goon in the lineup... but I was impressed with him. The fight was pointless but he actually has hockey skill which blows Cam Janssen away. He had some chances, had some cycles, and contributed.

-Refs: I think they should be fined or disciplined with they screw up. Last night I was embarrassed for them. The missed an obvious call on a high stick to Elias. Tavares then scores... as they were celebrating the goal, three refs had a conference at center ice. Next play, they call a really soft penalty on the Islanders. It was so obvious it was a cheap make-up call. You can't have refs botching up penalty calls especially when it leads to goals. More-so you can't have refs giving up make-up calls when they know they screwed up.... then they are changing the course of the game and taking it out of the hands of the players. Very bad job by them.

How was Tallinder's crosscheck in overtime? I really didn't see it.

Lou has to know by now that the Devils need a forward. I like to think that he would have claimed Boychuck had he fell further down the waiver list. Dallas seems like a perfect trading partner seeing how terrible their defense is. Washington also needs a vet d-man.

Kovalchuk-Henrique-???????
Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Zubrus-Josefson-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

DevilChuk*

Here are my conclusions after last night's game:

-Kovalchuk: Put him back on left wing. He ends up there anyway on breakouts. It is obvious he is more comfortable on that side. In addition, if you look at the rosters around the league.... it will be MUCH easier to find a right wing to put on his line compared to a left wing. Also, put him back on the left point on the power play. Zidlicky does a good job but Kovy's slapper is much more powerful and dangerous.

-Zajac: So hard to get this guy off the puck which is great. I think he should be the second line center. It would give this team more depth. My fake lineup is at the bottom of this post.

-Elias: Looks like his skating speed is very slow. I do like that he's trying to shoot more lately. He just needs some luck.

-Zidlicky: I thought last night was one of his best games as a Devil. As long as he is partnered with a defensive minded d-man, he can be a terrific asset. Great passing, vision, good shot, puck control.

-Greene/Salvador/Volchenkov: I don't get it. They all have flashes of brilliance... but the mistakes/brainfarts/fumbles are getting old fast. Our defense is completely inept when it comes to clearing the zone. There were also at least 3-4 moments where one of these guys could have kept the puck in the offensive zone but just backed away and let the Isles get it.

-Larsson: This kid needs to stay in the lineup.

-Henrique: SO SO glad to have him back. Great goal. He makes the team THAT much better.

-Tallinder: Great goal and good overall game for him. Seems to me like Volchenkov/Greene/Fayne are my list of "wouldn't mind too much if traded."

-Carter/Gio/Bernier: Great to see all of these guys on the scoresheet only six games into the season.

-Barch: I still don't want a goon in the lineup... but I was impressed with him. The fight was pointless but he actually has hockey skill which blows Cam Janssen away. He had some chances, had some cycles, and contributed.

-Refs: I think they should be fined or disciplined with they screw up. Last night I was embarrassed for them. The missed an obvious call on a high stick to Elias. Tavares then scores... as they were celebrating the goal, three refs had a conference at center ice. Next play, they call a really soft penalty on the Islanders. It was so obvious it was a cheap make-up call. You can't have refs botching up penalty calls especially when it leads to goals. More-so you can't have refs giving up make-up calls when they know they screwed up.... then they are changing the course of the game and taking it out of the hands of the players. Very bad job by them.

How was Tallinder's crosscheck in overtime? I really didn't see it.

Lou has to know by now that the Devils need a forward. I like to think that he would have claimed Boychuck had he fell further down the waiver list. Dallas seems like a perfect trading partner seeing how terrible their defense is. Washington also needs a vet d-man.

Kovalchuk-Henrique-???????
Elias-Zajac-Clarkson
Zubrus-Josefson-Butler
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Tallinder's crosscheck was a good call. Stupid, stupid play by him.

That whole Elias sequence was a joke though.

This team is so distressing. I mean, we may have 9 out of 12 points but we are a .500 team right now record wise. We've played terrible but gotten good results.. which makes me worry we will start to get complacent with just losing in OT every game like the last three. Ugh.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
His defense still leaves something to be desired I'll admit that.... but offensively he was very good.

I thought Greene had a WAY better offensive game than Zid. TBH Greene should be in his spot on the PP with Kovy. Having two right-handed shots on the point is silly.

I'm growing tired of Zid screwing **** up on point by either shooting it straight into a defender or missing the net by 15 feet. Not to mention he demonstrated his absolute sluggishness trying to chase after Grabner on that SH breakaway after his wishful pinch. (But then again it was Grabner)

DevilChuk*

Watching the replay of Henriques goal. Man is he clutch and so smart. He is going to be such a huge part of this team going forward. Him getting his first in his first game back takes a lot of the sting out of the loss. Haven't yet seen a full game replay but I take it Larsson had a bit of a rough return?

Larsson played great, IMO. He looked really solid defensively and this lineup missed his ability to make that breakout pass.

He did, though, make a humongous error on the fourth Islanders goal that may have cost us a point. Don't know what he was thinking there but outside of that one play, he was very good IMO.

Nick0930

Mar 16, 2011
Quebec
I'm really impressed with how Clarkie has been playing this season. Just get shots on net and good things will happen. Also has had some really nice passes. Not bad for a career AHLer.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
On a side note, Chico really needs to learn the difference between his Adams. Larsson started the game and 4 minutes later when Henrique jumps on the ice I hear "And here comes Larsson with his first shift of the game..."

DevilChuk*

Clarkson may be our best forward through the first 6 games. Actually, I'm not sure there is any debate.

Gionta? :sarcasm:

Sadly, our best line has actually been CBGB and it's not even close.

I could've sworn they were on the ice every other shift last night. Guys were rocking while our first and second line took the night off.

DevilChuk*

Henrique's shooting percentage is 100% right now. That's sustainable.. right?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Gionta? :sarcasm:

Sadly, our best line has actually been CBGB and it's not even close.

I could've sworn they were on the ice every other shift last night. Guys were rocking while our first and second line took the night off.

You make a good point, Lil' Gio has been great. I don't think anyone expected him to produce like he did in the postseason, but he has been as productive as anyone else.

DevilChuk*

We have not beat a team with a win yet:sarcasm:

What??

We beat Philly.. and the Islanders.. and the Canadiens.

All three teams have at least two wins... the Islanders have 4.

EDIT: Capitals, not Canadiens.

Devils86

Apr 8, 2008
Who else thinks Barch is not a major liability?

Barch played 4 min. 4. Anyone who only gets on the ice for 4 min in its essence is a major liability. In a truncated season you need to have players, who at minimum, can play 9 minutes a night.With 12 games in 24 nights Barch is a liability. Only thing he should see is the press box.

DevilChuk*

Capitals, not Habs.

Also, none of those teams had a win when we beat them is what he meant.

Kind of irrelevant though because we kind of can't pick and choose when we play teams.

If anything, beating a desperate team still looking for their first win > beating a team that has already won

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
My review of the game?

When your previous year's playoff fourth line becomes your third line, and is still your best of the night, you'll have problems.

My review of the season so far?

We're getting points. We're learning from our mistakes. We're making new mistakes. We're rotating players in and out.

Lou usually waits 20 games to "see what he's got", right? Usually about a 1/4 season. By my guess, we'll see a similar thing this at the 10-game mark then. This is why Henrique and Larsson will be in and out of the line up, to see what the whole shebang looks like. Somewhere between game 10 and 15, I imagine you'll see a shakeup if things aren't on the improve.

But, all in all, we're playing terribly and putting points on the board. Could be worse, could be worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad