Post-Game Talk: Isles over Devs 5-4 (OT)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The thing that bums me out the most in these games is that our best defensive game of the season was against Boston I'd say. We couldn't score more than a goal. Our two worst defensive games (Habs, Fishy sticks) we scored 3-4 goals.

apice3*

weve played like crap, we have holes, and we still 9/12 points. Can you imagine when we play well and fill those holes? Nothing to be bummed out about.

The difference between us and weak teams that get off to hot starts and fizzle is that we're not playing great hockey. We're not even close to our peak. Teams like the Islanders and Lightning and Oilers are peaking now and will regress down the road. We're only going to improve. This team will do great things in the playoffs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
weve played like crap, we have holes, and we still 9/12 points. Can you imagine when we play well and fill those holes? Nothing to be bummed out about.

The difference between us and weak teams that get off to hot starts and fizzle is that we're not playing great hockey. We're not even close to our peak. Teams like the Islanders and Lightning and Oilers are peaking now and will regress down the road. We're only going to improve. This team will do great things in the playoffs.

I know, but the Boston game still kinda hurts. We played pretty well. We really didn't deserve the two points against the Isles, or Habs. The team did show a lot of character to tie those games up though.

apice3*

if there is one team in the entire league id be pleased to get only 1 point against, its boston. They are what we want to be. Totally complete team from top line to 3rd pair.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
if there is one team in the entire league id be pleased to get only 1 point against, its boston. They are what we want to be. Totally complete team from top line to 3rd pair.

I agree, and that's why I was pleased with the effort. I'd love to just knock around the Pens tomorrow, and the fish sticks on Sunday.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I've liked what we've seen from Barch

Unlike Boulton and Janssen, this guy doesn't look like he's skating in mud he's got nice speed for a goon

Barch has created a few scoring chances and knows where to go on the ice.
Major upgrade to P3L, Peters, Boulton or Cam.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ya he said he's going to observe for 10 games before pulling the trigger. Can't wait

Well ten games is next Thursday. Less than a week away, amazing how fast it goes in a short season. We've already played 1/8 of our season, and other teams 1/7 or even 1/6 (if they have 8 games played).

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The past 3 seasons, Devils goons (PL3, Peters, Janssen, Boulton) have put up a combined 1 point, that point belonging to Janssen

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Refs screwed the Devils again. What a weak call on Tallinder in overtime, again.

Not going to bother typing a long rant about it. I guess I'm just supposed to accept that the league's officiating is never going to get better

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
And Kovalchuk is doing nothing at RW, I hope DeBoer isn't stubborn enough to keep him there for any longer

DevilChuk*

Refs screwed the Devils again. What a weak call on Tallinder in overtime, again.

Not going to bother typing a long rant about it. I guess I'm just supposed to accept that the league's officiating is never going to get better

Wasn't a weak call at all. Tallinder clearly cross-checked the guy in plain view of the refs.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008

I was sitting right there last night- Tallinder did hit Moulsen with a crosscheck but Moulsen embellished on the play seemingly launching himself into the boards...his arm was up in a naturally defensive position when he hit the rail and he seemed to jump after the hit. The ref was on the other side of the ice but it looked much worse than it was. I also think it was a make up call for Nj had a power play in the last 1:30 of the game and into OT.

We showed good battle once again coming back to tie the game on three separate occasions but I think that we should not be looking through rose colored glasses...we might have 9 out of a possible 12 points but this team has not played well and is very thin on talent. Goaltending is the reason that we are 3-0-3 and not 2-4. We should be a middling team this year and every point helps but right now, we simply aren't playing well and are fortunate to have the points that we have right now.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Wasn't a weak call at all. Tallinder clearly cross-checked the guy in plain view of the refs.

He was battling, its a physical sport, you let things like that go in overtime.

Had the Devils scored on their PP (and they came very close) none of this would have happened though :(

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Eh, Marty has to do a better job handling the puck. That's the game to me.

apice3*

I was at the game and didn't even need a replay to realize it was a good call.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And Kovalchuk is doing nothing at RW, I hope DeBoer isn't stubborn enough to keep him there for any longer

Kovalchuk has done nothing period.

RW/LW means absolutely nothing besides defensive and neutral zone responsibilities. It is so much more valuable for a right-hander to be on the right side and a lefty on the left side for the defensive zone. Once your out of the zone, the players get creative, they flip sides. All Kovalchuk needs is a winger that he and Zajac mesh well with on the left side. Hopefully, that winger is Henrique.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol at Kovalchuk doing nothing. The saucer pass to Zajac and the OT winner are at least two 'things', and that's only in six games. He also leads the team in plus/minus for what that's worth.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Kovalchuk is not a great possession player, playing Matteau or Tedenby with him was not going to work. The 1st line was spending way too little time in the offensive zone. Obviously Zajac couldn't cycle the puck all by himself but with Henrique back now, they're gonna be fine very quickly and Kovalchuk will goal on your net again.

apice3*

Once the PP gets going, Kovy will put up points in bunches. The weak points off the PP have been fixed each game. Had a bunch of good chances last night, just a matter of finishing them now. I like the PP we run, I just wish Kovy was off the point and at the dot.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Once the PP gets going, Kovy will put up points in bunches. The weak points off the PP have been fixed each game. Had a bunch of good chances last night, just a matter of finishing them now. I like the PP we run, I just wish Kovy was off the point and at the dot.

I feel this will never change either. Just like the sides of the wing. Though I do think he's played on the point most of his career. He did under Lemaire as well. I'm pretty sure he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad