Post-Game Talk: Isles over Devs 5-4 (OT)

DevilsAnimal*

When we are in the division race, we are going to be so glad we picked up 9/12 points to start the season

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
In those blaming Kovy he has been solid. Hasnt been the dynamic Kovy we expect but he hasnt been terrible
1st shift of either the 2nd/3rd, Kovalchuk turned the puck over and the Islanders got a great scoring chance.

Kovalchuk has to be the dynamic player he can be. Tavares is for the Isles (3 points) Kovalchuk needs to be for NJ

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
People need to quit slagging Kovy. Who have he and Trav had on their line? Matteau is not an NHL player yet. Tedenby? GTFO! Josefson? Not a first liner. These players have no business on the first line.

Henrique back will bring some much needed stability that we haven't seen yet this season.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
People need to quit slagging Kovy. Who have he and Trav had on their line? Matteau is not an NHL player yet. Tedenby? GTFO! Josefson? Not a first liner. These players have no business on the first line.

Henrique back will bring some much needed stability that we haven't seen yet this season.

I though Josfeson played really good tonight. He showed the puck possession/speed that is needed on the first line. Maybe not the finishing ability but everything else was there.

Kovalchuk also had a good amount of PP time

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
There should be a mandatory special teams practice tomorrow. So far that's been our downfall, and it needs major improvement.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
People need to quit slagging Kovy. Who have he and Trav had on their line? Matteau is not an NHL player yet. Tedenby? GTFO! Josefson? Not a first liner.

kovy and zajac are enough to score a goal dude. the other person on that line is inconsequential. the bottom line is zajac is stepping up and making big plays, scoring goals, and kovy is having brainarts.

DevilsAnimal*

So what? Thats like me saying someone like Vinny Lecavalier deserves his contracts cause once upon a time he had 100 points.

Gimme a break.
Then maybe you should limit your insults to the modern era

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
What is the average age of posters on this board? Looking at post game comments after a loss, the reactions are incredibly juvenile.

I thought we deserved to win as a team but a few individual mistakes cost us. I think Marty had a bit of a sloppy game too (weak challenge on that second Tavares goal and the last clearing attempt on the OT winner was bad).

That being said, I am super excited to have Larsson in the lineup and of course Henrique came up clutch yet again. If Lou manages to find a couple of forwards to fill out that third line, I see no reason why we are not serious contenders again this year. Hopefully the team doesn't make a liar out of me on this one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
kovy and zajac are enough to score a goal dude. the other person on that line is inconsequential. the bottom line is zajac is stepping up and making big plays, scoring goals, and kovy is having brainarts.

The other teams have had easier times neutralizing them. They need a competent winger. Let's see what he does or what he lacks with Henrique back.

Remember Kovy had 2 goals in his first 11 games last year before going on the shelf for 5 games, and scoring his first game back.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Meh, I'm ok with this loss. 9 of 12 points and better overall performance.

If Henrique sticks on the top line, which is fine by me:

Adam1 - Zajac - Kovalxperiment
Elias - Josefson - Clarkson
Zubrus - Gio - Butler
Matteau - Carter - Bernier

Barch had a good possession stiff. HE was a fine goon today, but I don't think the Devils need a goon. If Matteau sticks, give him some 4th minutes

Matteau - Zubrus - Butler
CBGB would be fine by me too.

Josefson needs some players around him.

apice3*

dont really have a problem with any one individually. No one has played poorly all 6 games. Some players have great games. Some have bad games. Were fine for now. Just gotta add a forward to the team.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

You're acting like kovalchuk is some average joe who needs all-stars on his line to thrive. He didn't exactly have firepower in atlanta either. He hasn't been dynamic like we need him to, that's a fact. I think the problem is that he's relying more on his teammates than he usually does. Result of playing with tarasenko for awhile perhaps?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
There should be a mandatory special teams practice tomorrow. So far that's been our downfall, and it needs major improvement.

The biggest problem with the power play has been entering the zone, but overall I don't really think it has looked all that bad, especially considering it does have a significantly different look than in years past. The team is middle of the pack early on so far this season in terms of PP %. There is a tendency on our boards for posters to greatly exaggerate how bad the PP is.

EDIT: Devs PP % was middle of the pack for the season last year as well. Reading on here, you would think they were dead last.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
If you look at the big picture this team has room for improvement. Henrique just came back, the big lack of forward depth is still there but Lou Lamoriello will fix it sooner or later, Kovalchuk has not been spectacular yet, etc, etc. And they haven't yet lost a game by more than 1 goal difference.

It's too early to be firing on all cylinders.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
Won't win too many games giving up 5 goals... Was happy to see us score 4 though and I never feel as bad losing in OT/SO when were the ones who tie it up.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Angry, disappointed, heartbroken, annoyed.

I'll be constructive tomorrow. Tonight I just wanna burn out the frustration.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You're acting like kovalchuk is some average joe who needs all-stars on his line to thrive. He didn't exactly have firepower in atlanta either. He hasn't been dynamic like we need him to, that's a fact. I think the problem is that he's relying more on his teammates than he usually does. Result of playing with tarasenko for awhile perhaps?

He doesn't need all stars. But you're kidding yourself if you think he can put up points all over while playing with players who more than half have no business in this league like Tedenby, and a guy who's played 5 games.

Even if you forget who he's been playing with. How many straight games has he had stable linemates?

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
kovy looks slow to me. i don't know if it's his khl form or whatever, but the speed seems off.

the next game is in the afternoon, right? oh boy

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
What is the average age of posters on this board? Looking at post game comments after a loss, the reactions are incredibly juvenile.

I thought we deserved to win as a team but a few individual mistakes cost us. I think Marty had a bit of a sloppy game too (weak challenge on that second Tavares goal and the last clearing attempt on the OT winner was bad).

That being said, I am super excited to have Larsson in the lineup and of course Henrique came up clutch yet again. If Lou manages to find a couple of forwards to fill out that third line, I see no reason why we are not serious contenders again this year. Hopefully the team doesn't make a liar out of me on this one.

people hve to vent. age is irrelevant.

The other teams have had easier times neutralizing them. They need a competent winger. Let's see what he does or what he lacks with Henrique back.

Remember Kovy had 2 goals in his first 11 games last year before going on the shelf for 5 games, and scoring his first game back.

still think him playing on the right is ****ing mental and limiting his play. i know hes streaky, but when the 4th line is scoring more than ur sniper, theres ish goin on. he deserves the flak hes getting because hes making little mistakes. hell clarky looks like parise out ther crashing and banging and creating things outta nothing. and kovy is in on auto pilot. but i know hell snap out of it. hes in one of his ****** streaky stretches. the roster dartboarding is a little annoying but that shouldnt be an excuse for an elite player like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad