Value of: Isles Fire Sale

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The most overlooked aspect of Mayfield's underwhelming season is, he has been playing injured most of the season.
He was also severely overplayed when Pulock was out which magnified his mistakes. Dropping him down to the 3rd pairing will help him out quite a bit.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Realistically the Islanders have a ton of deadline capital who could bring in significant assets if they wanted to pull the trigger and could get guys to waive their NTCs. They are a team loaded with veteran guys who are built for the playoffs.

Pulock or Nelson would all be huge, huge adds for any contender, but Pelech is the type of guy who could be transformational.

Nelson would probably fetch something like 1st + 3rd + a good prospect, I could see a teams Carolina, NYR, or Boston being really interested in adding a rangy goal scoring center like him. Pulock's value is probably Nelson's + another 1st rounder.

But Pelech is legit worth like 4 1st round picks, probably more. There would be teams lining up to bid for him, he's one of the best pure shutdown defensemen in hockey on a great contract with term. I would imagine teams like Toronto, Edmonton, NYR, Winnipeg, Florida, or Vancouver all would be willing to give up massive assets for Pelech. I could see interest from bubble teams like NJ, Philly, and Detroit as well. As a Devils fan I'd gladly offer up Mercer + Bahl + 3rd for Pelech.

Proven playoff vets like Lee, Pageau, and Palmieri could also return a decent amount if they were willing to retain some salary.

And then there are warrior type role players like Clutterbuck and Cizikas who teams are always looking to add for a playoff run. Maybe even Martin. Engvall might draw some interest too, though his contract is probably too long to be considered.

TLDR; if the Islanders really wanted to blow it up, they'd walk away with an absolute buttload of assets for the future.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Nelson would probably fetch something like 1st + 3rd + a good prospect, I could see a teams Carolina, NYR, or Boston being really interested in adding a rangy goal scoring center like him. Pulock's value is probably Nelson's + another 1st rounder.
Whether Nelson should be traded really depends on his contract situation. Personally, I think NYI need a short term reload, and while he hasn't yet been affected by age, I think he will be in that next contract.

I don't see NYI trading Pulock because they're not going to be able to replace him. Also I don't see why he's *that* valuable. IF NYI traded Pulock it's because they think they can replace him easier than getting an athletic winger. That seems unlikely.
But Pelech is legit worth like 4 1st round picks, probably more. There would be teams lining up to bid for him, he's one of the best pure shutdown defensemen in hockey on a great contract with term. I would imagine teams like Toronto, Edmonton, NYR, Winnipeg, Florida, or Vancouver all would be willing to give up massive assets for Pelech. I could see interest from bubble teams like NJ, Philly, and Detroit as well. As a Devils fan I'd gladly offer up Mercer + Bahl + 3rd for Pelech.
Sort of. I mean, if Pelech were right, would this be happening to NYI? No, and were we talking about Chiarelli, sure. But I can't suppose GMs to be idiots. He's just not right. I mean, he wasn't right in the playoffs vs. CAR, and he's been dealing with injuries all season.

You can see it in his gaps - if he tries the kind of tight gaps he used to, he gets burned. If he gives bigger gaps, his spider traps don't quite come off.

Proven playoff vets like Lee, Pageau, and Palmieri could also return a decent amount if they were willing to retain some salary.
- Palmieri has good hands, and is *very* strong. But he's lost two steps. He can help a PP down low, but you have to shelter him ES.

- Pageau is a mystery.. He seems like he can still move fine, but he's losing, out of position, etc. His shot never came back really after his injury, but there's something more off.

- imo NYI would only deal one of Nelson or Pageau, not both. See below on "rebuild"

- Lee's contract is very likely untradeable. It is likely that they respect him enough not to trade him anywhere he really doesn't want to go. And imo they'll need him to keep level heads during the retool. So, it's unlikely. I see a offseason 2025 buyout as the most likely scenario for him. Retained salary would have to be lower than the amount that would still hit in that buyout scenario.

And then there are warrior type role players like Clutterbuck and Cizikas who teams are always looking to add for a playoff run. Maybe even Martin. Engvall might draw some interest too, though his contract is probably too long to be considered.
Clutterbuck will be on the market, has marginal value of as a 4th liner. Martin is too old to be a mercenary goon, is very rooted on LI, and seems likely to have an organizational role in the future. Toronto? maybe. Local? I guess it would be good for local sports talk radio. (His father in law is Boomer Esiason, who is a huge rangers fan). That would be something. I think NYI keep Cizikas.

NYI aren't gonna go full rebuild. It makes no sense. So:
- NYI could deal Nelson or Pageau
- NYI could deal Palmieri
- NYI could deal Clutterbuck or Martin
- Wahlstrom is most likely available for very little

Pelech's health concerns makes a move for either him or Pulock very very unlikely imo.

Chokabloc

Nov 25, 2021
NJ
The most overlooked aspect of Mayfield's underwhelming season is, he has been playing injured most of the season.
I heard from a friend on the inside (think wives) that he has played most of the season on a fractured ankle. That tends to affect play (sarcasm). It always seemed like there was something wrong and that would certainly explain a lot about his play. I'll hold judgement on booting him until we see how he does fully recovered......

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I heard from a friend on the inside (think wives) that he has played most of the season on a fractured ankle. That tends to affect play (sarcasm). It always seemed like there was something wrong and that would certainly explain a lot about his play. I'll hold judgement on booting him until we see how he does fully recovered......
I can only imagine how inflammation from that would affect anyone. And wouldn't a simple fracture have healed by now?

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
I am a big advocate for re-tooling on the fly for this team, but I would be very careful about trades of certain players. It is easy to be emotionally frustrated by some of these aging players on big contracts, but dumping them would likely cost draft picks, and I don't trust that we can fill a team up with effect UFAs in July. The Islanders have not had the best record on July 1.

The UFAs should all be traded. Martin, Clutterbuck, Aho, Reilly — even for mid/late round picks. That is addition by subtraction at this juncture.

I would take calls on Nelson, Pageau, Wahlstrom and Palmieri and make a trade only if the deal made real sense for the Islanders. In the case of Nelson — I would have to be blown away. Would have to begin with a 1st and top prospect. In the case of the Pageau and Palmieri, it just has to make sense. I wouldn't just take any offer. Would have to begin with a 2nd and a B prospect. With Wahlstrom — is there a deal that can be a swap of players who need a change of scenery?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I am a big advocate for re-tooling on the fly for this team, but I would be very careful about trades of certain players. It is easy to be emotionally frustrated by some of these aging players on big contracts, but dumping them would likely cost draft picks, and I don't trust that we can fill a team up with effect UFAs in July. The Islanders have not had the best record on July 1.

The UFAs should all be traded. Martin, Clutterbuck, Aho, Reilly — even for mid/late round picks. That is addition by subtraction at this juncture.

I would take calls on Nelson, Pageau, Wahlstrom and Palmieri and make a trade only if the deal made real sense for the Islanders. In the case of Nelson — I would have to be blown away. Would have to begin with a 1st and top prospect. In the case of the Pageau and Palmieri, it just has to make sense. I wouldn't just take any offer. Would have to begin with a 2nd and a B prospect. With Wahlstrom — is there a deal that can be a swap of players who need a change of scenery?
Put Wahlstrom in the list with the UFAs. Id rather bring back Josh Bailey next season, even with a year off than Wally at this point. My biggest thing with the Pageau, Palmieri and Nelson (to a lesser extent) trades would be to clear off the cap hit or as much as possible to utilize towards other assets. Realistically if they do move out the players listed on the first list, you use the empty spots to just audition whoever’s in the system and see what you have at this point.

Reactions: The Real JT

Chokabloc

Nov 25, 2021
NJ
I can only imagine how inflammation from that would affect anyone. And wouldn't a simple fracture have healed by now?
I think a new fracture heals in 4-6 weeks.....but if you take another puck to the same location, and do so on multiple occasions.......who knows? Not a doctor. The question is: Is Mayfield now vulnerable to that injury every time he skate blocks a shot on the PK. So let's see when he's recovered.....

Reactions: saintunspecified

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I think a new fracture heals in 4-6 weeks.....but if you take another puck to the same location, and do so on multiple occasions.......who knows? Not a doctor. The question is: Is Mayfield now vulnerable to that injury every time he skate blocks a shot on the PK. So let's see when he's recovered.....
I’d say he’s vulnerable for sure, especially if he’s still injured. He probably needed another 2 weeks off the ice before he started skating. I’m guessing his current injury is a setback of the previous one this season.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Realistically the Islanders have a ton of deadline capital who could bring in significant assets if they wanted to pull the trigger and could get guys to waive their NTCs. They are a team loaded with veteran guys who are built for the playoffs.

Pulock or Nelson would all be huge, huge adds for any contender, but Pelech is the type of guy who could be transformational.

TLDR; if the Islanders really wanted to blow it up, they'd walk away with an absolute buttload of assets for the future.
If im following along correctly, that means Mercer is worth 4 1sts as well? :sarcasm:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Jarnkrok + timmins for Mayfield ? Solid top 9 winger with a nice cap hit for multiple years and a reclamation RD to try for the rest of the season.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Jarnkrok + timmins for Mayfield ? Solid top 9 winger with a nice cap hit for multiple years and a reclamation RD to try for the rest of the season.

The Isles need draft picks. No reason to take on players with cap hits who have zero shot of being with the team when they're ready to compete again. Also no reason to take on any legit NHL players that will help them win when they need to start finishing bottom 5 to be able to draft some elite prospects.

Reactions: Glorydays22

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Suckage and Horvat go hand in hand, I'll tell ya that for free🙃
Iou needs to be fired for that trade and signing.
Most islander fans had already seen the writing on the wall, the team is old with no star forwards and nothing in the pipes.
I thought the sharks would have the longest rebuild but this is not gonna be some quick on the fly.
Sucks since Dobson finally breaks out and with true rebuilds usually taking 5+ years is he going to want to waste his prime in a losing environment? Is it even worth keeping him when the return would be big?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I’m not moving the following roster players: Barzal, Horvat, Holmstrom, Romanov, Dobson, Pelech, Pulock or Sorokin. None of them should get moved in all reality and the offers are going to be extremely lackluster.
It's funny seeing Romanov on a list of unavailable players. Go back 2 years, and he was on mine, and it was a damned short list. "Anyone but Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov" was being repeated often back then.

Reactions: miscs75

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
A big young RW shooter is what the Ducks might be after. Wjat's his problem, why the production has been bad?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It's funny seeing Romanov on a list of unavailable players. Go back 2 years, and he was on mine, and it was a damned short list. "Anyone but Suzuki, Caufield and Romanov" was being repeated often back then.
People don’t actually realize how good he truly is. The fact people are trying to trade him like he’s a bottom pairing guy is almost comical.

Reactions: pth2

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
how do oiler fans feel about Ryan McLeod these days ?

I wouldnt mind adding him to inject some speed into the top 9

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Suckage and Horvat go hand in hand, I'll tell ya that for free🙃
Iou needs to be fired for that trade and signing.
Most islander fans had already seen the writing on the wall, the team is old with no star forwards and nothing in the pipes.
I thought the sharks would have the longest rebuild but this is not gonna be some quick on the fly.
Sucks since Dobson finally breaks out and with true rebuilds usually taking 5+ years is he going to want to waste his prime in a losing environment? Is it even worth keeping him when the return would be big?

Hmm, Horvat and suckage?

Might wanna check the box score from last nights game.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
This is also a deal. Isles have Dobson and Pulock eating 45 mins a night, our 3rd RD cannot be making 3.5M. Signing didn’t make sense before Dobson’s emergence and now it’s totally batshit crazy.

This plus the Sabres fan offer of a first, Savoie and one of the Russians for Pelech is basically what we need for the re-tool. Isles can then deal Nelson in the offseason and make room for Savoie in the 2C role next season. Basically pick up the 4 firsts they dealt the last few seasons in a couple of moves while also shedding 15M in salary. Use some of the assets and space for Chychrun.

Lee - Horvat - Barzal
XXX - Savoie - Palmieri
Engvall - Pageau - Jarnkrok
Fasching - Cizikas - Holmstrom

Romanov -Dobson
Chychrun - Pulock
Bolduc - Timmins

Sorokin

About the same as what we have now depending on the second line left wing, but plus a couple of picks and prospects and quite a bit younger. Would be a proper re-tool I think.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
People don’t actually realize how good he truly is. The fact people are trying to trade him like he’s a bottom pairing guy is almost comical.
The guy was moved 18 months ago, in a deal that fans of the team that dealt him still see as fair, so seems like his value should be pretty clear, overall. Even if it had gone down, it's still clearly a top-15 or top 20 pick at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad