Value of: Isles Fire Sale

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
We all know what needs to happen from a hockey perspective but short term greed gets in the way. The thing is that the islanders are the type of franchise that can easily survive a long rebuild. Their fans have stuck around through decades of darkness and would explode in passion and numbers once the new blood starts coming in.

Ownership though will never leave one current dollar on the table even in exchange for ten in the future.

Oh really...? There's no way you would know this, but also no evidence that it is true. To wit - These new Isles owners have spent plenty of their own money upgrading this franchise from the previously inept charles wang. They didn't have to go out and spend the money to get guys like Lou, trotz, etc when they could't kept going with garth snow (who wang gave a "lifetime contract" to so they're also paying him).

Also they have a brand new mall opening up next to the new arena so money will be flowing in from that as well.

This is less about money and more about...What is the agreement they have with Lou, and do they know hockey well enough to know when it's time to replace him (which is now)?

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Would you guys be willing to retain to move him? Mikheyev's fast and cheaper and great on the PK, plus he had a top-6 role before in Toronto. Him and Barzal together would be tough to contain.

Mikheyev + 1st + __________ for Lee (with retention)?
Yes, I would retain 50% for Mikheyevv + 1st and another player....sign me up

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I’d do it for sure. I’d be shocked if we got a warm body and a first for Lee though
Lee and Mikheyev both expire the same year. Mikheyev is making $4.75m so essentially if the Islanders retain, they’re getting just about the same cap hit in return for just a younger 3rd liner. Realistically it’s not even worth it at that point. If you move Lee, you move him out completely with the only return being a cap dump that’s a UFA at the end of the season, not for an even cap in-cap out situation.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Lee and Mikheyev both expire the same year. Mikheyev is making $4.75m so essentially if the Islanders retain, they’re getting just about the same cap hit in return for just a younger 3rd liner. Realistically it’s not even worth it at that point. If you move Lee, you move him out completely with the only return being a cap dump that’s a UFA at the end of the season, not for an even cap in-cap out situation.
But if I'm also getting a 1st and another player (youngster), I'm doing it.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
But if I'm also getting a 1st and another player (youngster), I'm doing it.
Who’s the youngster though? To take on more cap for the same term, the youngster would have to be worth it. I’m not taking back Raty to eat half of Lee’s contract and all of Mikheyev, I want a substantially better quality prospect in return for the addditional $1m+ cap accrual.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Who’s the youngster though? To take on more cap for the same term, the youngster would have to be worth it. I’m not taking back Raty to eat half of Lee’s contract and all of Mikheyev, I want a substantially better quality prospect in return for the addditional $1m+ cap accrual.
Not sure, he mentioned Mikheyev, 1st, +...... Would they do a player like LW-Bloom?

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Not sure, he mentioned Mikheyev, 1st, +...... Would they do a player like LW-Bloom?
That’s not even the player I was targeting. I’m talking higher end prospects in their system over the first. They won’t move Lekkerimäki but that’s my target.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Considering I’d say that’s the core and what you build around, yes. Why are you moving out Pelech and Pulock to get futures and some leftover garbage in hopes to strike gold. Would you honestly trade Pulock to a team like Toronto for a 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, Ryan Reaves (absolutely useless cap dump with term) and some scrub overhyped C-tier prospect?

Toronto wouldn’t do that, they’re not trading Marner unless they get Sorokin, Dobson, Barzal (all 3 players at 50% retention), 46 1sts and the 2026 ASG in return for Mitchell. You know how they work.
I don't have a problem moving on from Pelech. He's clearly having issues and this seems more of a theme than an anomaly. If trading him and using his salary on a different defenseman, maybe even a little cheaper, I'm okay with it. Wouldn't mind someone a little cheaper, healthier, and more consistent.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
That’s not even the player I was targeting. I’m talking higher end prospects in their system over the first. They won’t move Lekkerimäki but that’s my target.
So if Mikheyev has as many yrs left as Lee. Instead of retaining 1/2. We only retain say 2M. I understand they would basically cancel each other out salary wise but we need to get Lee off this roster and I don't want to pay to get rid of him. I think a 1st rounder and a youngster like Bloom would work. Mikheyev is younger 29 to Lee 33, there are putting up the same amount of pts. So we get younger all around getting him, 1st and a guy like Bloom. I don't see a downside with this deal. We have been begging Lou to get rid of Lee anyway he can. Here we get to build up system.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I don't have a problem moving on from Pelech. He's clearly having issues and this seems more of a theme than an anomaly. If trading him and using his salary on a different defenseman, maybe even a little cheaper, I'm okay with it. Wouldn't mind someone a little cheaper, healthier, and more consistent.
The same issue with the Lee deal that I explained, they'd have to move him out and not retain anything/wind up with more cap then what's returned. You move Pelech for either a top 6 (QUALITY) foward or futures such as a 1st, blue chip prospect and whatever else.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
So if Mikheyev has as many yrs left as Lee. Instead of retaining 1/2. We only retain say 2M. I understand they would basically cancel each other out salary wise but we need to get Lee off this roster and I don't want to pay to get rid of him. I think a 1st rounder and a youngster like Bloom would work. Mikheyev is younger 29 to Lee 33, there are putting up the same amount of pts. So we get younger all around getting him, 1st and a guy like Bloom. I don't see a downside with this deal. We have been begging Lou to get rid of Lee anyway he can. Here we get to build up system.
2m would be the absolute highest to retain. I'm personally not a fan of moving Anders Lee for another Anthony Beauvillier honestly. They need to move out the cap to utilize it better, not reallocate for the same roster just a couple years younger. You also have to take into consideration that the 2024 1st from Vancouver is basically an early 2nd at this point since they're one of the top 5 teams in the NHL.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
2m would be the absolute highest to retain. I'm personally not a fan of moving Anders Lee for another Anthony Beauvillier honestly. They need to move out the cap to utilize it better, not reallocate for the same roster just a couple years younger. You also have to take into consideration that the 2024 1st from Vancouver is basically an early 2nd at this point since they're one of the top 5 teams in the NHL.
What I don't understand is....You, me and 95% of the isles fans want Lee off this roster at any cost. Most of us thought we would have to pay compensation to a team in the form of draft picks. Now if you have the opportunity to get a 1st (don't care if it's at the bottom) and a prospect. I have know idea why we wouldn't jump on it.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
What I don't understand is....You, me and 95% of the isles fans want Lee off this roster at any cost. Most of us thought we would have to pay compensation to a team in the form of draft picks. Now if you have the opportunity to get a 1st (don't care if it's at the bottom) and a prospect. I have know idea why we wouldn't jump on it.
I don't want Lee off at any cost but if it upgrades the team i'm all for it. I want Wahlstrom shipped off the roster first, then Aho. I got bored before on CapFriendly and did that if Lou makes no moves and just signs a few guys in the system. Bring up the youth and let them get their feet wet/some growing pains and learn. They have kids with talent and should just audition them. The team ideally has 2 more seasons at most before it really clears off (JGP and Lee end the same season, Palmieri next year).

As for just getting prospects, no interest in taking a prospect who people know wont make it out of the minors just to get a young player. You want someone with upside and potential to grow into an NHL player that doesn't have the attitude of Josh Ho-Sang or off ice hobbies of Adam Ružička.

Wait, how long does Garth’s contract run?
No one knows but he's not involved with the team anymore.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-25 190140.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-25 190140.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-02-25 190245.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-25 190245.png
    25.5 KB · Views: 3

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Toronto is so lucky to have like 6 franchise players. It’s not even fair. They probably win the cup easily every year.
They have two franchise players in Matthews and Marner with Nylander being a tier below the two. Be happy the islanders have one in Dobson.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Isles need a major retool. Dead last in prospects/ farm system and the core vets aren’t getting it done.

no one is untouchable but Players isles should keep to re-tool around are Barzal Horvat Holmstrom Dobson Romanov and Sorokin.

3 biggest trade chips as far as value would be Nelson Pelech and Pulock. Highly motivated to get rid of Mayfield and Engvall who both have 6 more years left on their deals smh.
Lee Palmieri and Pageau would all be available for me.

Mike Reilly was a waiver pick up so I don’t think he could be traded but I’d look to
re-sign him and extend him for next year.

Isles need players that can play for Roy and the style he’s looking for.

There’s the situation, offer away!
What would you want for Mayfield from the Oilers. Keep in mind we have to send cap back.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Pageau has 2 years left at $5 million AAV. His offense the last 2 years has taken a hit but he’s still great defensively and on faceoffs. Clutterbuck is a hitting machine still and great defensive winger. He’s a UFA after this year. I’d

Pageau and Clutterbuck for Beau Akey + late pick
Cap wouldn't work and from my point of view Akey should be the Oilers most untouchable prospect

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No looking for a bashing response but I see a lot of NYI fans are saying some of there players are cap dumps. So I ask sincerely would something work around Campbell. I know Campbell is useless but I was thinking if there was something usefulul the NYI wanted to dump base on contract length maybe capbell 3 years would be less of a burden. Edmonton needs to win and win soon. So maybe someone signed to a 6 year deal vs Campbell 3 years is worth considering.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
No looking for a bashing response but I see a lot of NYI fans are saying some of there players are cap dumps. So I ask sincerely would something work around Campbell. I know Campbell is useless but I was thinking if there was something usefulul the NYI wanted to dump base on contract length maybe capbell 3 years would be less of a burden. Edmonton needs to win and win soon. So maybe someone signed to a 6 year deal vs Campbell 3 years is worth considering.
The Islanders don’t need a 3rd goalie under contract though. The only way it might work is if Edmonton was willing to take on JGP and Lee without retention in return for Campbell. You get $12m in cap hit and the Islanders get stuck with an overpriced AHL goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad