Post-Game Talk: Isles def. Canucks - 6-2 (Horvat x2)

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I want him benched just to see how much he freaks out and whines to the press...

How does where he lived make any difference?
On it's own....maybe it doesn't matter too much but the guy was always late for practices and would always be the first one out of the arena after games and practices. Torts wanted nothing to do with a Canadian franchise but was happy just to get a job.

Reactions: Kreator

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I want him benched just to see how much he freaks out and whines to the press...

when a coach is like… I will live in an area that creates an obstacle to going to morning skates and practices. is it not obvious to question his dedication to the team he coaches?

Even if its optics for players…

Is coach here for the morning skate? No he is at home…

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Let’s see Miller actually play like he talks about how he plays tonight

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They had to install a Murphy bed in Torts office so that he could be around more.

I remember the intro to Willie Desjardins video and how he stumbled upon it, and the hilarious look on his face.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There it is lol.

Man, even ol Jimbo looks youthful and healthy in that clip.

Hard to believe that was a time of excitement. It felt like all the stars had aligned for us at long last. Linden came in as President. Jim Benning was hyped as the hottest candidate to be a good new GM with a drafting pedigree. And Willie Desjardins was the most sought after new head coaching candidate. That we landed both Benning and Desjardins (and there were indeed other suitors) felt like maybe - just maybe - at long last, things were looking up for the franchise.

But of course, Canuck Luck being what it is...we know how all that ended up.

Reactions: Hansen and rypper

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Hard to believe that was a time of excitement. It felt like all the stars had aligned for us at long last. Linden came in as President. Jim Benning was hyped as the hottest candidate to be a good new GM with a drafting pedigree. And Willie Desjardins was the most sought after new head coaching candidate. That we landed both Benning and Desjardins (and there were indeed other suitors) felt like maybe - just maybe - at long last, things were looking up for the franchise.

It shows how true this is that I was a huge Gillis fan and didn't want him fired, and I was excited at the time with how everything was starting to unfold...

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

Desjardins turned out to be a disastrous NHL head coach, he was in way over his head and now is back in the junior ranks. Jim Benning, well that resume is written in mud as he was another fraudulent Boston hack who road the coat tails of others.

Linden left to do his personal businesses, he's been fine since.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Desjardins turned out to be a disastrous NHL head coach, he was in way over his head and now is back in the junior ranks. Jim Benning, well that resume is written in mud as he was another fraudulent Boston hack who road the coat tails of others.

Linden wasn't good, but he was open to learning and I would have liked to see him in a different time when he had the chance to learn and grow into the position.

Reactions: mriswith

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Hopefully it educated people. GM’s who are known for drafting, more than likely suck at actually generally managing an entire professional hockey operation.

I know I wasn’t that excited at the time. Didn’t think the previous guy deserved to go but I did understand why they moved on.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks haven't had a decent GM in the executive booth since the Burke-Nonis regime left town. Gillis was basically a 'caretaker' GM who inherited all the key pieces and rode the roster to its heights in the 2008-11 period.

After that it was all downhill with the hiring of Linden and Benning, and then Benning alone for eight lost seasons. The jury is still out on Allvin-Rutherford, but early returns aren't encouraging.

I suppose we shouldn't be surprised at the Canucks mediocrity in the executive booth. It starts and ends with the owner. From all reports he's meddled from the beginning, including hiring Torts and then Linden. And was backing Benning almost until the bitter end. Then to add to insult to injury, after 'cleaning house' he said he regretted not acting sooner. Really?

You'd like to think that Rutherford laid the law down before he agreed to come here--with complete autonomy to call all the shots. But then the Miller extension really makes you wonder.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This.

Tortorella gave one of the most mailed in peformances I’ve ever seen from a Canuck. If he came in and behaved the way and cared the way he did everywhere else he has coached, he may have lasted more than one season. The guy didn’t even move to Vancouver, and didn’t attend some of the team’s practices because of it.
He definitely gave FAQ the bare minimum effort.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

There were some of us sounding alarm bells about the Jim Benning hire. Some Bruins fans were ridiculed as being trolls.

It was like Deja vu with the Rutherford hire with Pens fans stating similar obvs about a clueless dinosaur.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Sorokin is going to shut us out hard.

Canucks against any team that knows how to clog the neutral zone

i-quit-quit.gif

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

What's John Weisbrod been up to lately? GM of a MLB team?:sarcasm:

4f2c7ac70c85ca0fa6b7bf73e2fd100a.jpg

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Honestly I'm so sick of talking about Miller, Myers, OEL, (mis)management etc. I hate the way they are playing but it gets me down man :(

Sooooooo...Really love the Hughes & Bear pairing. Just so smooth in moving the puck. They have been outstanding all over the ice. Hughes is looking really good defensively again like he was last yer. Now if the other two pairing can stop getting caved in, and just try to be even, that would be nice.

Really so cool to see Petey happy and excited again. He is such a complete player. He will win a Selke trophy one day. Just keeps getting better. Would be such good news to see him locked up on a long term contract.

Good game against a very strong team. Lets gooooooo!

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
I'm still all in on the Canucks getting the best chance possible to have a chance at drafting Bedard, so let's lose boys!

Go Canucks Go!

credulous

Nov 18, 2021

he let his assistants run practices because the commute from point roberts to downtown took too long. the canucks even investigated practicing out in tsawassen when he was here because it was an easier commute for him

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Now we know why it took him so long to get a gig as a head coach in the NHL.

Willie................................Rookie head coach
Jim Benning..................Rookie GM
Trevor Linden...............Rookie President
Wormtongue...............Veteran Executive Mentor of the three amigos.

What could go wrong?

But back to the game.....o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad