GDT: Isles @ Caps - 2/4/14 7:30 NBCSN

GoGoGrabo

Nov 29, 2008
Because Brouwer does, what, better than Wilson?

Talks to the media. Also, Oates seems to play people based on their contract or *status* instead of who actually is out there producing. If he was paying attention Joel Ward would be on the 2nd line. Brouwer and Laich would be on the 4th line or in the press box. Jay Beagle would be on waivers, Latta would be up in his spot (they both play the PK and win a lot of FO, Latta can actually score and fight) Erat would be playing on the RW which is his natural position, etc

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Bruce would be contending with this roster.

With a great coach (which is what Bruce is, at least in the regular season), this roster isn't horrible. A top-6 of 8/19/10/84/16/90 is not horrible. A top-4 in defense of 27/74/81/52 is not horrible. Neither one is fantastic, but with a great coach we'd be in a playoff position right now.

Instead we're practically in the cellar because our coach is ****ing terrible.

and this post was not in defense of GMGM. He should be fired as well.

Playoffs -- sure, SC contender -- eh, not really feeling it. One real scorer and just not enough consistency/maturity on D -- "not horrible" is maybe ok if your offense is a juggernaut, which I don't think it could be even with BB at this point.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Troy Brouwer: 21:02
Tom Wilson: 4:37

#forwardthinking

Wow, let that sink in.

Wilson had actually showed a bit more hustle/offense of late, and that is his reward.

If we are out of the playoffs, I think its safe to assume Oates will not cut Brouwer's ice time to get Wilson more experience.

George has to read these things and take action. Oates pushing all in on a player. That player does not respond. Is George going to sit and watch one players trade value plummet to little and another's development clearly not pushed, as the team tanks?

I can hear him now this offseason, I had no idea Oates would only play Wilson 5 minutes a night.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Players that I'd like to see on the 2014/15 Capitals:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-XXXXXX
XXXXXX-Grabovski-XXXXXX
Chimera-XXXXXX-Ward
XXXXXX-Latta-Fehr

XXXXXX-XXXXXX
Alzner-Carlson
Schmidt-Orlov

Holtby
XXXXXX

Is it possible to create/fill in all those blanks in 1 offseason?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

XXXXXX-Grabovski-XXXXXX
Chimera-XXXXXX-Ward
XXXXXX-Latta-Fehr

XXXXXX-XXXXXX
Alzner-Carlson
Schmidt-Orlov

Holtby
XXXXXX

With a competent GM, Girardi could be an immediate improvement to the top pair and anyone could center Chimera and Ward. The real question is can they get rid of Laich, Brouwer, and Green.

If George is still here I could see him inserting Kuz and other rookies in those positions.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
With a competent GM, Girardi could be an immediate improvement to the top pair and anyone could center Chimera and Ward. The real question is can they get rid of Laich, Brouwer, and Green.

If George is still here I could see him inserting Kuz and other rookies in those positions.

And who would you like the caps to trade for Green? The only way this team trades Green is for another top 4 D. Very few teams will want a puck moving D in exchange for a shut down D. Everyone rags on Green too much, but you see what the defensive core looks like without him. Bottom line is the caps need him healthy. He will NOT be traded.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
And who would you like the caps to trade for Green? The only way this team trades Green is for another top 4 D. Very few teams will want a puck moving D in exchange for a shut down D. Everyone rags on Green too much, but you see what the defensive core looks like without him. Bottom line is the caps need him healthy. He will NOT be traded.

Therein lies the problem.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water

Liles / Gleason ?

And on the optimistic side of things, this was the first game in how long the Caps did not give up a goal within two minutes of scoring one themselves?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
girardi is said to want 7 years at 5.5m. you know he's not likely to last more than half of that. would you do that anyway? most competent gm's won't take the chance. curious. what is your top pair with Girardi as a Cap?

trading green really means giving up on something. what you bring back or find elsewhere to replace him won't likely be as good as Carlson who doesn't bring what Green can. you might get a solid 2nd pair puck mover and have to be satisfied with that. Green has lead all nhl defensemen in goals 3 times including last season. once he is gone its very unlikely you can even find an all star level player for his slot.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
girardi is said to want 7 years at 5.5m. you know he's not likely to last more than half of that. would you do that anyway? most competent gm's won't take the chance. curious. what is your top pair with Girardi as a Cap?

trading green really means giving up on something. what you bring back or find elsewhere to replace him won't likely be as good as Carlson who doesn't bring what Green can. you might get a solid 2nd pair puck mover and have to be satisfied with that. Green has lead all nhl defensemen in goals 3 times including last season. once he is gone its very unlikely you can even find an all star level player for his slot.

I love fawning over Green while dooming and glooming on Girardi's ability to stay healthy (2 games missed in his 7.5 year NHL career).

Last night is an example of what happens when you count on Mike Green.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Troy Brouwer: 21:02
Tom Wilson: 4:37

#forwardthinking

Did Willy check someone too hard again last night or is dOates still punishing him for the "hard" hit he made vs Detroit?

ZBBLVHp.gif

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

XXXXXX-Grabovski-XXXXXX
Chimera-XXXXXX-Ward
XXXXXX-Latta-Fehr

XXXXXX-XXXXXX
Alzner-Carlson
Schmidt-Orlov

Holtby
XXXXXX

I'll give it a whirl:

Signings
1RW/1LW: Nikolai Kulemin (UFA)
2LW: Evgeny Kuznetsov (ELC)
2RW: Thomas Vanek (UFA)
3C: David Legwand/Marcel Goc (UFA)
1RD: Dan Girardi (UFA)
4LW: Ryan Smyth/Brendan Morrow (UFA)
2G: Giguere/Khudobin (UFA)

Trades
1LD: Green + Schmidt + Laich + draft pick for Ehrhoff
3LD/RD: Brouwer for Gorges

So that leaves you with:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Kulemin
Kuznetsov-Grabovski-Vanek
Chimera-Legwand/Goc-Ward
Smyth/Morrow-Latta-Fehr

Ehrhoff-Girardi
Alzner-Carlson
Gorges-Orlov

Holtby
Giguere/Khudobin

So yeah, it'd be possible in one offseason, though it's highly unlikely any team signs that many UFAs.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Based on what, exactly?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

The Oilers unloaded Shawn Horcoff this offseason as a 34 year old with two more years on his contract at a 5.5M cap hit, who hadn't hit 40 points in four years, during a year when the cap went down, and didn't have to retain salary or take a bad contract back. We can definitely unload Laich.

Liberati0n*

I've been slow to come around to the fact that Backstrom sucks, but he does. I think trading him should be seriously explored.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I've been slow to come around to the fact that Backstrom sucks, but he does. I think trading him should be seriously explored.

He's a guy I think you try under a new coach. He still shows flashes of the 3-zone dominance he previously had, he just seems to lack...wait for it...motivation.

Liberati0n*

He's a guy I think you try under a new coach. He still shows flashes of the 3-zone dominance he previously had, he just seems to lack...wait for it...motivation.

Yeah, I guess. His contract also isn't too terrible, so he could be kept as the 2C and play on the PP. When I say "explore" I mean they should establish what kind of return they could get to see if it's worthwhile.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010

We'll see what he ends up with length-wise. Of course the early indication would be that he would want a lot of term, which pending FA wouldn't? It doesn't always turn out that way and I'd do $5.5mil per in a heartbeat. Girardi gives you flexibility for the top pair. You could give him a puck mover like Orlov or Alzner as a shutdown unit, there are always external options as well.

Yeah your giving up on the illusion that he's a #1D, that he'll return to form, or that he'll stay healthy. None of which he's proven since 2010. He hasn't played 75% of a season since 2010 and it's not looking promising for this year as well. You don't need an all-star to replace Green, someone reliable and dependable like Girardi can do wonders and yes I would be satisfied if they could add a solid second pair puck mover in place of Green as long as they add Girardi.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I love fawning over Green while dooming and glooming on Girardi's ability to stay healthy (2 games missed in his 7.5 year NHL career).

Last night is an example of what happens when you count on Mike Green.

And Laich had missed 4 games over 5 years before he went to Switzerland. How many physical defensemen in the Girardi mold do we have to see collapse in their mid 30s before we recognize it's more than just coincidence? Regehr, Volchenkov, Mitchell, Robidas, Orpik, Murray, Ohlund, Phillips, Klesla, Montador, Jackman's on his way there, might be the beginning of the end for Seidenberg too. They either slow down and become a liability, or they get fragile.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
* girardi will be 30. he's blocked a lot of shots. I project his shelf life based on other players of his kind in recent years. I could be wrong. But many here wanted McPhee to go after Volchenkov who was basically out of gas already.

* I was using the term any competent gm in regards to signing girardi. the rangers appear to be unwilling to pay what it will take to keep girardi. I suppose sather isn't competent and should reconsider his position. Assuming he is not and won't and girardi hits the market, are we thinking it realistic that a fair to good contract could sign girardi? I would think that would be hard to get. am I wrong?

*fawning over Green and Green not bringing his "a" game since 2010. he did lead nhl d in goals last season and was tied for the team lead in points in the playoffs last season, was he not?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
*fawning over Green and Green not bringing his "a" game since 2010. he did lead nhl d in goals last season and was tied for the team lead in points in the playoffs last season, was he not?

Green had a stretch of 20 good games last season. That's about as much as I expect from him in a season ever again.

Last edited:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
And Laich had missed 4 games over 5 years before he went to Switzerland. How many physical defensemen in the Girardi mold do we have to see collapse in their mid 30s before we recognize it's more than just coincidence? Regehr, Volchenkov, Mitchell, Robidas, Orpik, Murray, Ohlund, Phillips, Klesla, Montador, Jackman's on his way there, might be the beginning of the end for Seidenberg too. They either slow down and become a liability, or they get fragile.

Laich isn't really a relevant comparable as a forward. Also, everyone's liable to shred their groin playing this sport. Laich's number came up.

I guess the wear and tear could catch up to him, but he's been remarkably healthy so far. I'd much rather gamble on Girardi than Green at this point in their careers.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
* girardi will be 30. he's blocked a lot of shots. I project his shelf life based on other players of his kind in recent years. I could be wrong. But many here wanted McPhee to go after Volchenkov who was basically out of gas already.

* I was using the term any competent gm in regards to signing girardi. the rangers appear to be unwilling to pay what it will take to keep girardi. I suppose sather isn't competent and should reconsider his position. Assuming he is not and won't and girardi hits the market, are we thinking it realistic that a fair to good contract could sign girardi? I would think that would be hard to get. am I wrong?

*Volchenkov had an injury history prior to his Devils deal, Girardi will not wherever he signs.

*Sather isn't competent. Considering the paydays some have gotten with the NYR if I were Girardi I'd ask for a huge payday to remain there.

*Did he not miss 13 games in a shortened season? Are recurring injuries not a concern for Green as it is for you regarding Girardi? Green has shown he doesn't know how to protect himself and will constantly be the target of opposing teams.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, I guess. His contract also isn't too terrible, so he could be kept as the 2C and play on the PP. When I say "explore" I mean they should establish what kind of return they could get to see if it's worthwhile.

I'd be fine exploring as well, but unless you're able to land something like MacKinnon, I don't see the value in the inevitable downgrade you'll get. True #1 centers are by far the hardest commodity to come by in hockey, hence Backstrom being the only one the Caps have really ever had (unless you cont Oates, which I don't).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad