Rumor: Isles and Sens discussed Duchene to LI trade

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He left Colorado because he wanted to win and didn't want to be part of a rebuild. Why would he re-up in Ottawa?

If there's any truth to this rumour, I suspect it's because he's showed some reluctance, with good reason, to sign in Ottawa.
Yep ,it seems plausible ...But iam also very certain with the amount we gave up to get him in the first place...There would have likely been contract talk beforehand,now he could go back on his word... But that wouldnt be prudent to do as the agent would have likely helped in faciltating the deal and would have given his word also...And that wouldnt be a good look for him in his line of work

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If that was the case I expect he would have extended already. With the turmoil in Ottawa I imagine he will sign elsewhere.
It was rumored that they are waiting to annouce the deal after EK is traded to somehow soften the blow.....But no one is really certain of anything right now

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Jimmy Murphy has absolutely no credibility at all

I believe it was Jimmy who once tried to claim he had inside sources in Denver saying Ryan O'Reilly was going to be traded by Colorado for signing an offer sheet and people started raking him for not knowing the CBA, and he quickly deleted the tweet.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yep ,it seems plausible ...But iam also very certain with the amount we gave up to get him in the first place...There would have likely been contract talk beforehand,now he could go back on his word... But that wouldnt be prudent to do as the agent would have likely helped in faciltating the deal and would have given his word also...And that wouldnt be a good look for him in his line of work

Even if that were true, you think Duchene is going to lock into a contract on a joke of a team in order to make sure his agent looks good?

Are you out of your mind, why would he care about that?

Additionally, you think Duchene would be concerned about not going back on his word? You don't think the Senators went back on their word by trading away Hoffman and ultimately Karlsson?

They know Duchene wanted to be part of a contender when they acquired him. They are not holding up their end of the bargain.

I would be *extremely* surprised if Duchene is playing in Ottawa by the end of next season. He's either traded this off-season or traded during the season. There's zero reason for him to sign a new contract with what is rapidly becoming the NHL's tire fire.

Ottawa paid way too much to get him and it's going to look a lot worse in the future because he absolutely has them bent over a barrel. He can walk at the end of this year and he can dictate where he wants to be traded because he's not getting dealt unless its the *exact* team he wants to go to and re-sign with. No team in the league will be stupid enough to do what Ottawa did in the first place, which was trade for an expiring asset and hope they can extend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pure

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Cant see Ottawa moving him,after what we paid for him there was likely talk of an extension in place well beforehand...He will resign in Ottawa
Well, he hasn’t yet.

Probably similar to Karlsson- he’d like to stay, if the team wasn’t in complete disarray.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It it going to cost Barzal + Sorokin + Pulock + unprotected 2019 1st this time again?
But will you be getting more gritty character guys coming back the other way, that is what matters? Another few Komorov sand Martins and you can remake a contender for the 90s ;)

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Even if that were true, you think Duchene is going to lock into a contract on a joke of a team in order to make sure his agent looks good?

Are you out of your mind, why would he care about that?

Additionally, you think Duchene would be concerned about not going back on his word? You don't think the Senators went back on their word by trading away Hoffman and ultimately Karlsson?

They know Duchene wanted to be part of a contender when they acquired him. They are not holding up their end of the bargain.

I would be *extremely* surprised if Duchene is playing in Ottawa by the end of next season. He's either traded this off-season or trading during the season. There's zero reason for him to sign a new contract with what is rapidly becoming the NHL's tire fire.

Ottawa paid way too much to get him and it's going to look a lot worse in the future because he absolutely has them bent over a barrel. He can walk at the end of this year and he can dictate where he wants to be traded because he's not getting dealt unless its the *exact* team he wants to go to and re-sign with. No team in the league will be stupid enough to do what Ottawa did in the first place, which was trade for an expiring asset and hope they can extend.

A little problem here is that if Duchene is truly a part of a contender, it's making $5 million on a 2nd line.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
M

I think Duchene to the Isles is a complete pipedream. I would be shocked if he does not sign a large contract with the Sens in the near future right after Karlsson gets dealt.

I would assume that atleast one of Wahlstrom or Dobson would have to go the other way. Otherwise there is no way Dorion could justify trading him right now unless Duchene has demanded a trade (which seems very unlikely).

Dorion will probably already lose EK for not great value. Trading Duchene for a meh package would probably the killer blow not only for Dorions career but maybe also the franchise. He will offer Duchene (and Stone) huge longterm deals and pray to god that they will take them (and I think they will).

I would not be shocked to see Duchene extended in Ottawa.
Fans seem to think isles are rushing to make moves NOW,but listening to Lou's comments it sounds like the isles will take the next season to evaluate their players.
If Duchene is not available or too costly , it would not be a shock to see Beau get a shot at the #2C position or Bailey slide back over to center. The 2019 draft is deep at center.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018

I just don't think he is a good fit. If Tavares bolted, what pitch do we make to Duchene to stay on the island? I think some people are more about family, $ etc. but I get the impression Duchene is sick of playing for bad teams and would prefer signing with a contender. Don't want to risk acquiring another player who pulls a Thomas Vanek

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Cant see Ottawa moving him,after what we paid for him there was likely talk of an extension in place well beforehand...He will resign in Ottawa

I agree, I can see Duchene resigning FROM Ottawa and then re-signing with a team that isn't in disarray....see what I did there. :sarcasm:

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
I think it would be sort of ironic that if duchene wants out of ottawa, He would be helping colorado secure better odds at getting a high draft pick. lets face it, the pieces going to ottawa would be for the future not this coming season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad