Value of: Isles 1 year UFA players

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think they'll resign Lee long term as I feel like it's tough to find players of his mold and you want to have some decent veterans around.

They've got Ho-Sang and Wahlstrom now on the right side and Eberle would get a decent return so I could see them moving him and Nelson will go for around a 2nd somewhere I imagine. He is pretty big but does he use his size well?

I once heard he got a jar of pickles down from the top shelf for an old lady at the supermarket. However, it took him 5 minutes and he did it with a grimace on his face. I'd say that's a no....but others may disagree.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think Nelson is gone. Eberle, that really depends on how he does this season. If the chemistry continues, and he is on pace for another 55+ season, I can see the Islanders doing everything possible to try and keep him. I think Lee is given a blank check to stay (especially if he's putting up close to 40 goal pace again) and it'll ultimately be up to him.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It's fair, I was just curious, I agree too. I just don't think that trading Lee or Eberle would change those outcomes; I'd rather keep them and acquire that other talent regardless. I really don't want to give up two 60 point wingers.

I think you can get a decent return for Lee and Eberle. I think Lee would be in demand come playoff time. You might not get the return of a perennial 40 goal scorer, but I still think there's value to be had.

If Lou is smart, instead of trying to win now, I think he should see what he can get for his assets and build around what was a very good draft for them this year.

I was on the draft floor and talked to quite a few names in the industry and every single person I talked to said the Islanders were the big winner. It's a solid starting point.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Trade them all and then try resigning them on July 1st. Be upfront with them and tell them the plan. Regardless if they want to stay or not rather get free assets. Look at Plekanec for example last year.

Reactions: IODCPiper and olli

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think you can get a decent return for Lee and Eberle. I think Lee would be in demand come playoff time. You might not get the return of a perennial 40 goal scorer, but I still think there's value to be had.

If Lou is smart, instead of trying to win now, I think he should see what he can get for his assets and build around what was a very good draft for them this year.

I was on the draft floor and talked to quite a few names in the industry and every single person I talked to said the Islanders were the big winner. It's a solid starting point.
But if you keep them and sign them, it's not just looking at winning now, it's winning with them over their contracts.

I think we can get a great return for both, they're excellent top 6, first line wingers. If Lou doesn't want to keep one or the other or both or keep both I trust him.

I would just like to have guys like Whalstrom and Bellows be brought into an environment where there is already an Eberle or Lee.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
But if you keep them and sign them, it's not just looking at winning now, it's winning with them over their contracts.

I think we can get a great return for both, they're excellent top 6, first line wingers. If Lou doesn't want to keep one or the other or both or keep both I trust him.

I would just like to have guys like Whalstrom and Bellows be brought into an environment where there is already an Eberle or Lee.

I mean you don't necessarily have to deal both off. One could stay. You could also bring in other assets in free agency to supplement the kids after dealing the two of them off.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Trade them all and then try resigning them on July 1st. Be upfront with them and tell them the plan. Regardless if they want to stay or not rather get free assets. Look at Plekanec for example last year.

Most sought after Islanders UFAs end up leaving once they get a taste for what’s out there. I don’t expect Eberle or Lee to be any different that those before them.

There’s huge risk from NYI’s standpoint in doing this. If you want to keep them, sign them.

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I mean you don't necessarily have to deal both off. One could stay. You could also bring in other assets in free agency to supplement the kids after dealing the two of them off.
Absolutely, could deal both; sign Patches in the offseason. Would be fine too. I'm really curious to see how it plays out.

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
for what it’s worth I think the leafs should take a gamble on Lee wait till the season starts to see how he plays without JT and get him prior to Thebes TDL could be a very good asset if they want to contend ,

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
for what it’s worth I think the leafs should take a gamble on Lee wait till the season starts to see how he plays without JT and get him prior to Thebes TDL could be a very good asset if they want to contend ,

I think the chances of LL helping the Leafs out at the TDL are slim to none unless the Leafs want to drastically overpay. Last thing LL wants is for his first year as GM is to lose his franchise player and help his new team win the Cup. Would not endear him to the Isles fanbase at all, lol.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
The players the Isles lost hurt. The players that were added addressed key problem areas. Defense still remains a big question mark as does goaltending. Too many "ifs" to say they will contend for a playoff spot. But I also don't believe at this moment that they wont at least be in the mix as the deadline approaches. They could be anywhere from bottom 2-3 of the Metro to wildcard. That's why we play the games.

A "full rebuild" really is not something that makes a ton of sense. There is some real skill and talent on the ice. Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, Leddy, Lee, Bailey, Nelson and Eberle are all players that can figure into the next 5 seasons. Some are still young and developing. Others are established players. Add to that maturing players like Wahlstrom, Dobson and possibly others and you have the makings of a fine core.

Should the team falter this season, and be sellers at the deadline, then they can and should sell players who are not in the long term plans. My guess is Nelson, Flipulla and Lehner are the first to be offered at the deadline; although in Lehner, if he plays well, they may yet hold him. That group of 3 should garner 2nd-3rd rounders at minimum (a lot will depend how they play from the start of the season through the dealine of course). I believe you move Lee and Eberle for at minimum a first and a B level prospect at minimum. These are proven assets who can produce and if they are sure they are not coming back, then they need to get a high return.

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad