Value of: Isles 1 year UFA players

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Tavares leaving set them into rebuild. They should sell this year.

Those guys aren't part of the Isles future winning window.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Even without Tavares, that team has more talent on and behind the bench than you realize. They are not tearing anything down. 75 year old Lamoriello didn't come in to tear it down and wait til he's dead for results. The coaching change alone will be a staggering improvement, ultimately offsetting the loss of Tavares and then some.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Even without Tavares, that team has more talent on and behind the bench than you realize. They are not tearing anything down. 75 year old Lamoriello didn't come in to tear it down and wait til he's dead for results. The coaching change alone will be a staggering improvement in the standings .
The 72 Lou and talent of Babcock did what in 2015 and 2016?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
NYI would be wise to retool. The pieces are there, they just need a couple of years to change the culture and make minor upgrades (major in net).

If I were in charge, I’d sell them at the deadline when prices are high regardless of he standings and then try to flip the assets in the off-season for what they need.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
NYI would be wise to retool. The pieces are there, they just need a couple of years to change the culture and make minor upgrades (major in net).

If I were in charge, I’d sell them at the deadline when prices are high regardless of he standings and then try to flip the assets in the off-season for what they need.

I can see that point of view.

Would it be wise to re-sign like 1 of them to take some of the pressure off incoming rookies though?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I really have no clue what the Islanders plan of attack is going forward. I figured with Tavares leaving they’d sell off expiring assets and look to rebuild. If they are on the bubble come February they have to sell of whoever they haven’t signed. Could get a good return if all these guys have a solid year. I know Dallas would be particularly interested in Anders Lee.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My hunch is Lee signs long term and becomes the captain.

Eberle and Nelson are gone in deadline deals or possibly before the deadline

Also, if Filpula has a decent first half he could be moved to a playoff team needing depth.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I really have no clue what the Islanders plan of attack is going forward. I figured with Tavares leaving they’d sell off expiring assets and look to rebuild. If they are on the bubble come February they have to sell of whoever they haven’t signed. Could get a good return if all these guys have a solid year. I know Dallas would be particularly interested in Anders Lee.

Every team would be interested.

Lee would be a fantastic trade chip, but then again, it'd be nice to re-sign him given his production.

Tough call, thats why I created this thread.

(Eberle and Nelson are also intriguing topics IMO)

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Every team would be interested.

Lee would be a fantastic trade chip, but then again, it'd be nice to re-sign him given his production.

Tough call, thats why I created this thread.

(Eberle and Nelson are also intriguing topics IMO)

True don’t know a team that wouldn’t want a 40 goal scorer. If I were the GM I’d focus on a rebuild. They have a great player in Barzal. A couple good young players Beau, Pulock, Ho-Sang, Wahlstrom, Bellows, and Dobson. What is really holding them back are all these long term veteran contracts. Spending a couple years in the basement, then coming on strong once these contracts start to drop off would be the best plan of attack.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

Are you sure the will have a “winning window”? It has been since the early 80’s. :eek: P.S. they are my 2nd team as I was able to watch their games from like 77 on with this crazy new thing they were trying where I live called “cable TV”.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
If I were the gm, I’d keep Eberle. He has great chemistry with Barzal. For Lee and Nelson I’d trade them should get a nice return for Lee and decent for Nelson. And hopefully teams want Filppula and Lehner

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'd imagine they'll try to keep Lee and Eberle. Nelson is most likely gone no matter what. I would also guess that if Eberle and/or Lee aren't signed by the deadline, they'll trade them no matter where they are in the standings.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Because this is the NHL and nothing is certain, they should wait and see how the team does. You never know. They could be better without Tavares. It's possible that the uncertainty around him staying or not was a distraction, and it is definitely possible that Trotz could be a great coach for them.

Reactions: Mork

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I would hope they learn from their mistakes. You trade any UFA to be if you are out of contention, which in all likelihood they will be. Metro is a tough, tough division.

There is a lot of solid youth on the way but Lee is the only one I would definitely resign. He's a monster in front of the net and he's improved every year. He is good for one bad offensive or defensive stretch every year but he's going to pot goals, going to keep a defense honest (and really busy trying to move him) and is one of the only forwards on the team (with talent) that can stay in the dirty areas and be a threat.

Eberle looked great with Barzal but there are enough speedy wingers that are cost-controlled on the way up and Bailey is a lock to play top 6. If Eberle has another season like the one he just had and the cap continues to increase, 7m + on a long-term is not out of the question (but it should be for the Islanders).

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Even without Tavares, that team has more talent on and behind the bench than you realize. They are not tearing anything down. 75 year old Lamoriello didn't come in to tear it down and wait til he's dead for results. The coaching change alone will be a staggering improvement, ultimately offsetting the loss of Tavares and then some.

You're kidding yourself if you think any of this is true

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad