CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Lee
Eberle
Nelson

Do they plan re-signing any of them?
Do they plan on trading them?

Just curious what the game plan is for these players.

It’s a fluid situation. LL has consistently said that they want to take this season to see what they have.

Unless a “no brainer” opportunity presents itself (ie. Signed Panarin). They will most likely continue with the Isles until the trade deadline.

Just imagine the following hypotheticals...

Under Trotz, (indisputably the best coaching they’ve had since Arbor or Laviolette, Nolan at the least)... Can he get better overall play from a guy like Nelson at center?

If Bellows makes the team and has 20 goals by the deadline. Does that change how the Isles approach some of their wingers?

Again those are just two examples, but I do think it speaks to the larger point... that there are too many question marks for some posters (not directed at you) to suggest in August what the Isles MUST do going forward.

Reactions: IODCPiper

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd be nervous about re-signing Lee to a long-term deal. Power forwards tend to wear down easier than others. I'd easily give Eberle a 5-6 year deal to keep him on Barzal's wing.

Reactions: LordNeverLose

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think they should tear it down. The talent just isn't there to justify a retool.

Get u20 prospects and picks. Build around Barzal and their 2018 draft.

What talent/how much talent do you think they lack that they can't do a retool?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think Lee will fall off without Tavares but will still get overpaid in UFA for the 40 he scored in the season with John. Similiarly Nelson will get overpaid by a team that will play him at c. No interest there from me unless you take Lucic.

Eberle is the only one I'm interested in and that wont happen.

Nothing to be done between NYI/EDM imo.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
They don’t have a cup caliber defense or goalie. I think everyone can agree on that.

And with JT leaving even their forwards are suspect. Who is suppose to be a 2C?
It's fair, I was just curious, I agree too. I just don't think that trading Lee or Eberle would change those outcomes; I'd rather keep them and acquire that other talent regardless. I really don't want to give up two 60 point wingers.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
They don’t have a cup caliber defense or goalie. I think everyone can agree on that.

And with JT leaving even their forwards are suspect. Who is suppose to be a 2C?
I think it's pretty clear they're missing a 2C, 1D, and 1G.

In a perfectly ideal world Dobson hits his ceiling and becomes a 1D and Sorokin comes over and is a 1G, but right now those spots are definitely holes.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
We didn't make the playoffs with Tavares the last two years and we didn't have to sign him for 11 mil. I would rather have a cup contending team as opposed to have to please Judas and hate that contract in 2 years. The more I think about it the happier I get that he left.
Tavares will still be a star player when that contract is over

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Lee
Eberle
Nelson

its a clean slate come mid sept with an evaluation of the entire 40+ guys under contract getting underway , even the vets on expiring contracts .

lou/barry will quickly get a sense of whose worth keeping / offering extensions to ; just have to let it play out for the first 60 days or so .

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
If the Isles ever were in a position to need to add salary to reach the cap floor, Lou's phone would be blowing up with all the GMs looking to dump contracts.
True, but the short term options are less feasible. Easy to get a 4+ year bad contract handed over. Less so to get a year or two left.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I'd be nervous about re-signing Lee to a long-term deal. Power forwards tend to wear down easier than others. I'd easily give Eberle a 5-6 year deal to keep him on Barzal's wing.
Lee is still on the upside, strong as an ox with great hands. I'd give him the long term deal, although I would like to keep Eberle also.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think they'll resign Lee long term as I feel like it's tough to find players of his mold and you want to have some decent veterans around.

They've got Ho-Sang and Wahlstrom now on the right side and Eberle would get a decent return so I could see them moving him and Nelson will go for around a 2nd somewhere I imagine. He is pretty big but does he use his size well?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Nelson will go for around a 2nd somewhere I imagine. He is pretty big but does he use his size well?
LMFAO god no. Biggest p***y I've ever seen.

Hopefully some team will get duped inot giving us a 2nd + B prospect at the deadline for him since he's basically a lock to be a 20/20 guy every year. But that team will soon realize he's a terrible player with a great wrist shot.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think on principle it would never happen but if Lee hasn't re-signed with NYI by the deadline and NYI are out of it, I wouldn't mind reuniting Lee with Tavares in Toronto, even if it was just a brief run. Imagine that NYI would soon keep him and let him expire out of spite though.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Lee
Eberle
Nelson

The words coming from management through the media are that LL and Trotz are going to take the time to evaluate the players on and off the ice to see who fits into the culture and who is too far gone drunk at the country club bar to stay. Honestly, I would like to hold on to both Lee and Eberle, but at the same time I won't be heartbroken if they are moved for rebuild pieces. First time in over two decades we've had management we can trust, so I'll go along with whatever Lamotz game plan is.

I'm pretty sure they will either be extended or traded by the trade deadline. Don't see them taking any Tr91tor type chances with either one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->