Rumor: Islanders working on a Boychuk trade

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
But what teams need cap? Last I checked, Ottawa doesn’t need any help reaching the cap floor. Boychuck is still ridiculously overpaid at 5.25M.

That is 5.25M over 2 years(or 2.625M a year). I would argue from a salary standpoint that is fair. My point is they might be able to find a team willing to dump a guy who makes 3M a year/3M caphit for 2 years

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Using some inside info here, so take it for what it's worth, but I'd be somewhat surprised if the trade partner here wasn't the Devils.
It is possible they have history....but it has to be at pretty good offer from Isles to have devils do it.....What do you think they would offer?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
That doesn’t really help us.
How doesnt it?
Canucks had two ways to go. Payout prospects and picks this year to dump contracts and create a small cup window by re-signing their ufas and others. or going with younger core and waiting out the bad contracts.
They are now going to wait out the bad contracts, so a 2 year window.
If it was boychuk and a 1st for sutter, id definitely consider it. Addional first, +2mil cap for a 3rd pairing rd we dont have anyways. contract is the 2 years nucks wait anyways.
islanders can then buyout sutter in second window and have 4mil~ cap savings

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
They just signed Barrie, and they already have Bear, Larsson, and Bouchard on the right side and they have no cap space.

If you thought about it for 10 seconds youd realize the Oilers don't make sense
Agreed.
No team really makes any sense.
For some of these teams that need to dump players, I just don’t see any options at all other then keeping them.
The price to dump a guy like this would be astronomical just like fleury. This isn’t a ‘attach a 1st round pick’ kind of deal. I think trading a guy like boychuk, fleury, Neal, etc.. (players who are completely done) will leave the team feeling horribly uncomfortable with what they have to give up.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I don’t know why but I have this sneaking suspicion someone is going to help the Islanders out. And we’re all going to hate it.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Not a fan of either team, I just see a good fit for Melnyk to add significantly more cap hit than salary for two years as well as gain additional assets

The sens are easily hitting the floor and have no reason to take on more cap or salary they just traded for 2 Dmen and are happy paying as little as possible for a last place finish

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don’t know why but I have this sneaking suspicion someone is going to help the Islanders out. And we’re all going to hate it.

My 2 cents is Arizona wants to dump salary, so Islanders should try trade for Kessel while dumping a couple of there low salary/high cap hit contracts plus something of actual value

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Yeah if the cost is a 1st I'd pass. I'd only strap a 1st to Ladd at this point(more if needed). Boychuk is still a solid 3rd pairing guy, and proved in the playoffs that he's still a warrior. 2 years with low salary. No reason to cough up a 1st. Eff that noise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They'll have to add a significant pick/prospect to get back a 6th or 7th rounder in 2023 for this to work. Even if you are a team like Ottawa or Detroit, why would you help out the Islanders for free?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They'll have to add a significant pick/prospect to get back a 6th or 7th rounder in 2023 for this to work. Even if you are a team like Ottawa or Detroit, why would you help out the Islanders for free?

If you view Boychuk as a 2.625M player you are getting something of value

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you view Boychuk as a 2.625M player you are getting something of value

Where are you getting that number from? Are the Isles retaining? I see two years left at 6 per.

If the Isles retain, he can still play in the league, but don't the Isles need full cap space? If you are going to get rid of him and have to add to get rid of him, you might as well get rid of his whole cap hit.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Because they'd be picking up an asset as sweetener, and then flipping Boychuk next year for another asset. All for the cost of his modest salary this year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Where are you getting that number from? Are the Isles retaining? I see two years left at 6 per.

If the Isles retain, he can still play in the league, but don't the Isles need full cap space? If you are going to get rid of him and have to add to get rid of him, you might as well get rid of his whole cap hit.

Caphit is 6M, actual salary

Islanders already paid his bonus(2.75M) this year so he only gets 1.25M in salary. Next season he gets paid 4M. So he gets paid 5.25M over the next 2 seasons(or an average of 2.625m)

Johnny Boychuk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
RD Johnny Boychuk + INCENTIVE <> LD Patrik Nemeth 50% retained (1.5M)

Handness swap with Detroit.

Nemeth was good at last season in a crap team.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yeah if the cost is a 1st I'd pass. I'd only strap a 1st to Ladd at this point(more if needed). Boychuk is still a solid 3rd pairing guy, and proved in the playoffs that he's still a warrior. 2 years with low salary. No reason to cough up a 1st. Eff that noise.

Would you rather move Boychuk and a 1st...or lose Pulock?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Tough trade to try and make happen in a flat cap.......especially with over 90% of the cap spent already around the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caphit is 6M, actual salary

Islanders already paid his bonus(2.75M) this year so he only gets 1.25M in salary. Next season he gets paid 4M. So he gets paid 5.25M over the next 2 seasons(or an average of 2.625m)

Johnny Boychuk - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Didn't know that. I still think the Isles are adding a mid-round pick or B caliber prospect.

Boychuk is not a 2.625M player right now. Why would a team want to add that player without getting anything back in a flat cap?

But I can see how this contract is more movable. It shouldn't be that difficult for the Islanders. I suspect it'll get done.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Using some inside info here, so take it for what it's worth, but I'd be somewhat surprised if the trade partner here wasn't the Devils.

I'd be very surprised if it were. We have maybe 5-6 million in cap to play with. If we spend that on Boychuk given the rest of this market, I'd be floored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad