Confirmed with Link: Islanders Sign Robin Lehner, G - 1 Year Deal

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am sure if Lehner has a successful year with us he would be interested in staying.

Keyword if

Given the goalie market I am guessing if we throw him a decent enough deal before the Trade Deadline he would sign(sort of same reason Halak signed with us before testing Free Agency, he realized decent chance if he doesn't take that deal now he will be left out in the cold when the Islanders give that deal elsewhere)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrasymachus

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I hate to say it but the thing I always dislike about the Islanders going the route of one year "show-me" deals is that in all likelihood it is a no-win situation. Either the player, in this case Lehner, is average to below-average and you dont want to re-sign them (or in the Isles case, they probably would re-sign him). Or, he has an amazing season and then is not interested in staying with the Islanders. I mean, lets be honest for a second, if somehow Robin Lehner has a ridiculous season this year, lets say he finishes top 10 in the league in all key stats and basically carries an average Isles team into the playoffs. Do you really think that if there are other teams lining up for him, a 28 year old goalie after a season like that, he chooses to stay here? This is why 1 year deals for players makes no sense for the Islanders and I look at it being a no-win.
It is somewhat similar to the situation with Lee and Eberle. I understand the thought of wanting to see how they do this year, but in the real world when you are running the Islanders of all teams, if guys like these two are not re-signed now and they go on to have great seasons, they will be gone.
I know it sucks, but the Islanders are not a desirable team and they cannot use show-me deals the way some other teams can.

A prime example was Mtl signing Radulov , see what happened there. He wanted a huge deal
To stay but signed for less term in Dallas . I think
2 year deal works the best for team . If he works out you benefit from an added year at low cost and it gives you time to evaluate if that year was not just a fluke and time to sign a longer term deal if he was garbage send to minors

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Lehner is a placeholder for the young guys like Sorokim and Soderstrom. If he has a great year, he can be re-signed and management can figure out what to do with Greiss. He'll be easier to move with another year off his contract.
1. I don't think Lehner thinks this way, he is waay too good for this, and waaay too competitive to be some kind of placeholder. 2. If people keep saying those types of things, we have to hope that his competitive nature comes to the table and he shuts you people up. 3. If he has an outstanding season and they make the playoffs, it will be his job to lose. 4. Just because he was on an awful team in Buf where the entire team had a bad attitude and played lousy in front of him, does not mean that Lehner is somehow just a horrible goalie. With the right system and effort, a goalie can shine.

Reactions: Quicklime

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
1. I don't think Lehner thinks this way, he is waay too good for this, and waaay too competitive to be some kind of placeholder. 2. If people keep saying those types of things, we have to hope that his competitive nature comes to the table and he shuts you people up. 3. If he has an outstanding season and they make the playoffs, it will be his job to lose. 4. Just because he was on an awful team in Buf where the entire team had a bad attitude and played lousy in front of him, does not mean that Lehner is somehow just a horrible goalie. With the right system and effort, a goalie can shine.

I wish for nothing but the best from the DeathViking.

We could use a little “Hextall” in the crease.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I hate to say it but the thing I always dislike about the Islanders going the route of one year "show-me" deals is that in all likelihood it is a no-win situation. Either the player, in this case Lehner, is average to below-average and you dont want to re-sign them (or in the Isles case, they probably would re-sign him). Or, he has an amazing season and then is not interested in staying with the Islanders. I mean, lets be honest for a second, if somehow Robin Lehner has a ridiculous season this year, lets say he finishes top 10 in the league in all key stats and basically carries an average Isles team into the playoffs. Do you really think that if there are other teams lining up for him, a 28 year old goalie after a season like that, he chooses to stay here? This is why 1 year deals for players makes no sense for the Islanders and I look at it being a no-win.
It is somewhat similar to the situation with Lee and Eberle. I understand the thought of wanting to see how they do this year, but in the real world when you are running the Islanders of all teams, if guys like these two are not re-signed now and they go on to have great seasons, they will be gone.
I know it sucks, but the Islanders are not a desirable team and they cannot use show-me deals the way some other teams can.

The other downside of a "show me" 1 year deal is the player having a career year and getting a contract they never live up to again. Greiss was on a 2 year deal, but look no further then him. He won the playoff series vs a young Panthers team and now he's locked in for another two years after a indisputably putrid season.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
This was easily Lou's best move thus far. No term, little salary, solid upside(some people viewed him as the top UFA goalie, which admittedly isn't saying much, but still). If he looks great you can lock him up, at least for 2 or 3 years. If he looks good but we're out of it, you can either re-sign him(at least for one more year until Sorokin-time) or look to sell him at the deadline for at least a 2nd I'd imagine. If he looks decent you should still manage to get a mid-rounder from a playoff team in need of a backup. Worst case if he completely implodes we end up that much closer to Hughes and Lehner walks at the end of the season.

It should work out well for us in either scenario.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
This was easily Lou's best move thus far. No term, little salary, solid upside(some people viewed him as the top UFA goalie, which admittedly isn't saying much, but still). If he looks great you can lock him up, at least for 2 or 3 years. If he looks good but we're out of it, you can either re-sign him(at least for one more year until Sorokin-time) or look to sell him at the deadline for at least a 2nd I'd imagine. If he looks decent you should still manage to get a mid-rounder from a playoff team in need of a backup. Worst case if he completely implodes we end up that much closer to Hughes and Lehner walks at the end of the season.

It should work out well for us in either scenario.

This ones tricky, I hope Lehner proves me wrong. I've spoken to many Sabres fans who swear he's horrible, I've seen him let up many soft goals and have mental breakdowns. I just hope he turns a corner, for his sake and our sake.

I maybe in the minority but tanking to get the 1st overall is a total crap shoot anyway. And finishing last in the league has it's own negative consequences, some of which may not be measurable. Part of what makes me feel Pajamas got so burnt out and jumped ship was because he had to endure really grim years as a young player. He was totally part of losing culture. Well now he's gone and I want to see all the young guys like Barzal and Beauvillier play for a winning culture.

For that reason, I hope Lehner proves me wrong. We maybe underestimating how demoralizing it can be to play for a bottom feeder. Look at all the times we finished near bottom and the players we drafted as a result. If Lehner plays well and we finish in the middle of the league, right outside a playoff spot or perhaps wind up as a wild card only to get our asses handed to us, I'd prefer that with a mid-round 1st where there will definitely be guys with 2nd line center potential in this draft.

One thing is this, he will be entertaining, thats a guarantee. I still hold my prediction that by Thanksgiving, he will have a sizable hate club on these boards. Prove me wrong Robin...

Reactions: Thrasymachus

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Did you just ignore where I said we'd re-sign him if he played well? He's definitely a placeholder though .the future is Sorokin and Soderstrom.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
This ones tricky, I hope Lehner proves me wrong. I've spoken to many Sabres fans who swear he's horrible, I've seen him let up many soft goals and have mental breakdowns. I just hope he turns a corner, for his sake and our sake.

I maybe in the minority but tanking to get the 1st overall is a total crap shoot anyway. And finishing last in the league has it's own negative consequences, some of which may not be measurable. Part of what makes me feel Pajamas got so burnt out and jumped ship was because he had to endure really grim years as a young player. He was totally part of losing culture. Well now he's gone and I want to see all the young guys like Barzal and Beauvillier play for a winning culture.

For that reason, I hope Lehner proves me wrong. We maybe underestimating how demoralizing it can be to play for a bottom feeder. Look at all the times we finished near bottom and the players we drafted as a result. If Lehner plays well and we finish in the middle of the league, right outside a playoff spot or perhaps wind up as a wild card only to get our asses handed to us, I'd prefer that with a mid-round 1st where there will definitely be guys with 2nd line center potential in this draft.

One thing is this, he will be entertaining, thats a guarantee. I still hold my prediction that by Thanksgiving, he will have a sizable hate club on these boards. Prove me wrong Robin...
well, there's no way of predicting, but Lehner has certainly been put in a situation that he can believe in here. He is now playing for LL who is obviously a winner, and the man that just coached the Caps to the cup. If he cannot believe in this situation, and get up for the games, he is crazy.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
He's definitely a placeholder though .the future is Sorokin and Soderstrom.
Wow, I didn't know we had a psychic on here. Well, lets just see how he does, and who is the goaltender in 2 years. Nobody ever said there was any guarantee that Sorokin even comes over here. Has he ever said he wants to come here and play? Robin Lehner has won a Calder cup here in the USA. He was the mvp of the finals. Lehner has won a championship in pro hockey, Sorokin did not yet. In my book that gives him a huge head start on Sorokin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The way I look at it. He has to be miles better than Halak and Greiss were last year. Especially If he gets a chance to work with Mitch Korn.

May be the Isles better signings this summer.

Reactions: bigtim1988

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
well, there's no way of predicting, but Lehner has certainly been put in a situation that he can believe in here. He is now playing for LL who is obviously a winner, and the man that just coached the Caps to the cup. If he cannot believe in this situation, and get up for the games, he is crazy.

We already know he is crazy. We just need to find out if he's good.

france62

Jun 15, 2010
The way I look at it. He has to be miles better than Halak and Greiss were last year. Especially If he gets a chance to work with Mitch Korn.

May be the Isles better signings this summer.

Wonder what Lehner would of looked like last year , playing behind the same D , and system Halak and Greiss were playing in.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm a Sabres fan and can tell you this: Lehner is probably slightly above average who was made to look much worse than he is by a terrible team (and a horrible defensive team to boot). He is prone to letting in bad goals but I think that can be said about the vast majority of goalies. The reason it was so glaring in Buffalo is that the team scored so few goals that he had very little room for error. His biggest weakness is 1v1/shootouts which he is very bad at. In shootouts they may want to pull him and put in the backup. But in general I think he is good and can make the very tough saves. Bottom line: this was a very good signing.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The games I can remember watching the Isles play against him, he seemed in control. Once he let in a goal, it seemed to unravel and he would let in 2-3 more in quick succession. I think he may be as hard on himself as he seems to be on team mates and it knocks him off his game. If he can stay even keeled and focused and the Isles D does somewhat of a decent job, I believe he will give the Isles better than average goaltending.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
One part of Lehner's game that I liked is that he is a lot more aggressive in playing the puck than Greiss. Greiss is terrible at handling the puck - he obviously knows that and stays far away from it. I'd rather him not touch it than bungle it badly (like Halak). But having goalies being adept at handling the puck and moving it out quickly on dumb ins is an underrated asset.

In what little I've seen of him so far, he seems pretty adept at coming out of the net and moving the puck. Hopefully the team can adapt to the contrasting styles of play from the goalies.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Random thought about Lehner and goalies in general. With the new size limitations on equipment I'll be curious to see if it turns out that bigger goalies do better than smaller guys who benefited from being artificially bulked up but no longer have that help.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Random thought about Lehner and goalies in general. With the new size limitations on equipment I'll be curious to see if it turns out that bigger goalies do better than smaller guys who benefited from being artificially bulked up but no longer have that help.
Just a random observation, but when I'm at the games watching Lehner at the far end of the ice, it looks like leaves a lot of net to shoot at when he positions himself in the crease. I wasn't expecting that from such a big guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad