Confirmed with Link: Islanders Sign Robin Lehner, G - 1 Year Deal

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
If you accept the argument that this team is being designed primarily to teach the Islander youth how to play a complete 200ft game. Then Lehner being horrible in shootouts is a good thing.

How many years did the Islanders tack on extra points because of Frans Nielsen? Also, how did winning those shootouts benefit in player development?

Last edited:

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
He signed for 1 year... Kinkaid on the devils has 1 year left on his contract as grew up on li.... lou drafted Kinkaid. He keeps improving, and while I'd rather have Lou go after cory, Kinkaid would be the best option for you guys next off season.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
He signed for 1 year... Kinkaid on the devils has 1 year left on his contract as grew up on li.... lou drafted Kinkaid. He keeps improving, and while I'd rather have Lou go after cory, Kinkaid would be the best option for you guys next off season.

I want no part of Keith Kinkaid

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
its not a bad move because its one year and cheap but most of you are totally out to lunch regarding Lehner, and im gonna laugh at most of you as you learn that he is not the answer. he is a stop gap and no more.

but believe what you want. I guarantee he's gonna prove most of you dont have a clue about him. as buffalo fans told me, en masse, the guy gives up at least one bad goal a game EVERY GAME. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ITS NEVER HIS FAULT

remember he wasnt tendered, he wasnt a regular free agent, he was a non tender

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
This is a solid move by Lou. Goalies are like placekickers in football with few exceptions. One year they're solid and the next year they're on the waiver wire. Why give up picks and/or prospects for a slightly better stopgap goalie when the long term plan is for Sorokin and/or Soderstrom to grab the number one spot in 1-3 years.

Reactions: GiveDWrightskates

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Who said anything about "expecting" to win? The only way I'll think that's the goal is if they get Karlsson via trade. If that happens, then we are right back where we were with Tavares (minus the extra assets to get Karlsson). If we don't get Karlsson, we are certainly not "expecting to win".
I've felt the best course of action was for NYI to tank. My logic was I felt we could sacrifice for the future until we find a number 1 goalie and build a proper defense. But I was told this team has enough talent to make the playoffs.
I got crap for defending Doug Weight and wanting to keep him around for another season. My point wasn't to hurt the team but get JT extended than get better talent around him in the near future. I also like Doug as a person and see potential.
But as luck would have it Trotz falls in our laps. I'm a Trotz fan and now was onboard and OK with Weight stepping down. Hope is renewed but I still felt that maybe Trotz could tank either intentionally or unintentionally tank for the betterment of the team.

Now that JT left for Toronto people are expecting or wanting to lose?

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
this tandem will have the absolute Worst SV% in the league - mark my words. Lehner is not an upgrade on Halak, this is a tank season. Lou is going to insulate the young talent by surrounding them with character guys, some of which he may let stick around in the long term if they are liked.

If anyone, for some reason thinks the Islanders will compete with this Tandem, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The only thing the Isles will compete for is Jack Hughes this year, that it.

With what they have as defensemen, especially trash like Hickey, you could put Tretiak back there and it wouldn't matter.

I'm really annoyed they could not find better options than Hickey; that might actually piss me off more than losing Tavares.

They DESPERATELY need to get better defenseman more than they needed to re-sign Tavares, that is the fundamental point so many Isles fans who are so angry about losing JT don't get.

Last edited:

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
NY Islanders are expecting to win with a duo of Greiss and Lehner.
Let that sink in.

I wanted to trade for Lehner during the season when it became clear that Halak sucked and was gone, and that Greiss was not a long-term solution as a starter, so I'm fine with this.

With the right coaching - not what he had in Buffalo - he has the raw talent to become a very good goalie. If he shows improvement its a steal for the NYI and he could be the guy should Sorokin stays abroad which could happen.

If not, its a one-year marriage with little downside risk as its a one year deal.

The team needs a year to develop the Big 3 prospects: Bellows, Wahlstrom and Dobson, maybe even big 4 if Ho Sang can get his sh-t together.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I've felt the best course of action was for NYI to tank. My logic was I felt we could sacrifice for the future until we find a number 1 goalie and build a proper defense. But I was told this team has enough talent to make the playoffs.
I got crap for defending Doug Weight and wanting to keep him around for another season. My point wasn't to hurt the team but get JT extended than get better talent around him in the near future. I also like Doug as a person and see potential.
But as luck would have it Trotz falls in our laps. I'm a Trotz fan and now was onboard and OK with Weight stepping down. Hope is renewed but I still felt that maybe Trotz could tank either intentionally or unintentionally tank for the betterment of the team.

Now that JT left for Toronto people are expecting or wanting to lose?

I'm expecting to lose for sure. I came into this offseason thinking it would be an uphill climb without a quality goaltender and a 1/2 dman. Thought the draft might be where we walk away from that. Now that Tr91tor abandoned us, too many holes to fill in one offseason. Even with a new coaching system in place I don't expect much from this team. Barzal is going to be seeing the best defenders night in and night out and he is sure to have a frustrating campaign with some growing pains. Now we have three holes, 1/2 dman, goal, 2nd line center. Just too many places of deficiency to think we can compete. I mean, even both Philly and Florida got better in our conference. I just don't see any chance at the playoffs and just missing sucks. I used to think we just needed a mini-rebuild, but I still wasn't paying too much attention to the roster and just focusing on the Tr91tor thing. Now that both Tr91tor and de Haan are gone, it's a pretty bad roster. Karlsson or someone of that ilk is the only thing that will make me think otherwise. If LL is calling it a day, I'm rooting for a bottom 5 finish.

Reactions: GiveDWrightskates

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
its not a bad move because its one year and cheap but most of you are totally out to lunch regarding Lehner, and im gonna laugh at most of you as you learn that he is not the answer. he is a stop gap and no more.

but believe what you want. I guarantee he's gonna prove most of you dont have a clue about him. as buffalo fans told me, en masse, the guy gives up at least one bad goal a game EVERY GAME. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ITS NEVER HIS FAULT

remember he wasnt tendered, he wasnt a regular free agent, he was a non tender

So another words you have never watched the guy?

Reactions: Eberzal

TommytheCat

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
all this talk about tanking .... damn man i thought we were past that .... back to fn square one because of lingering fail from snow ....

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Do you expect any thing else from Mr. THINK!!!!

Ahh, had no idea that was this specific poster. Explains a lot of his posts. He's getting on him for his compete level where he seems to be blaming it on his teammates when they play shitty defense. The guy wants to win and played behind Buffalo for three f***ing years, I would be pissed too.

I'm sure many people played sports here, but in my opinion the players who get pissed off at losing will end up being the best players once they find a coach who learns how to transfer that negative energy into either the film room learning from their mistakes or on the ice training. Sad to think this is a negative for some posters.

Reactions: dood and Instant

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
I'm sure many people played sports here, but in my opinion the players who get pissed off at losing will end up being the best players once they find a coach who learns how to transfer that negative energy into either the film room learning from their mistakes or on the ice training. Sad to think this is a negative for some posters.

I agree. Some people can turn that negativity and use it to get better. There's nothing wrong with playing with a chip on your shoulders if you can channel that into something good. It shows competitive spirit and the desire to win. The problem here is that some people are not able to use that to build, only to destroy and that influences their game. That's why I think that one year deal is actually a good idea - if he pans out, great, if he doesn't, well, at least he doesn't have term and we won't have to figure out how to get rid of him.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
In a Trotz led system I fully expect Lehner to be around 2.50 GAA and back to a .920 save percentage.

Greiss will bounce back to somewhere around his previous two years with the club. Doug Weight's system left him and Halak completely exposed last season.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lehner and Greiss are not the goalies you shoot for a cup with, but in light of our current situation and the fact that both will likely be a tick better than with the Sabres or Isles of yesteryear simply due to having Trotz as a coach and the team now going in a more defensive direction, I think this is a great move and both will be just fine in keeping us competitive.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Lehner and Greiss are not the goalies you shoot for a cup with, but in light of our current situation and the fact that both will likely be a tick better than with the Sabres or Isles of yesteryear simply due to having Trotz as a coach and the team now going in a more defensive direction, I think this is a great move and both will be just fine in keeping us competitive.

To be perfectly honest you don't know if Lehner is the guy yet. Personally I don't think he is. But his only time as a starter in this league was getting shelled on Buffalo. So there really isn't an answer to that question at this time.

Reactions: nyisles

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Lehner and Johnston are going to join RAW or some shit like that. Just watch.

Reactions: SI90

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017

As someone who played with Kinkaid from elementary school through college, and lives in his neighborhood, he is indeed a huge Isles fan and would love to be here. I also think last year was a bit of an aberration. His mental game has always been weak. Some goalies figure it out late, but knowing him as long as I have, I just don't see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad