Confirmed with Link: Islanders Sign Robin Lehner, G - 1 Year Deal

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I'm guessing Gibson was sent back down? And also Kunckles was sent down right? Are we short a person? Healthy scratches are Johnston and Sbisa? Or were Kunckles and Gibson switched?

Three goalies got work in today with the Isles, so Gibson wasn't sent down yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13th Floor

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Three goalies
b91.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
That will depend a lot on the Sorokin situation. If the can get him across the pond then either Lehner or Greiss will go, but for now I see them giving him another 1 year deal

You see them giving Lehner another year? I don’t, unless he plays like a top 10 starter over the course of the season.

Let the season play itself out. He hasn’t played much, and has regressed since his injury. Haven’t given up on him, but he’s got a long ways to go before earning another contract IMHO.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
If Greiss continues his strong play do we trade Robin at deadline or try and extend him?

Greiss has proved he's a good goalie when the defense in front of him isn't total garbage. I think he and Halak faced more 2 on 1 rushes in two or three games last year than they have all season this year.
Every goalie in the league would have sucked last year if they were on the Islanders. A lot of goalies we consider to be elite are good because of the team they're on.

My only concern about Greiss is his mental strength, when he gives up an early goal or two he seems to panic and the flood gates open. His goals come in bunches and I don't think it's a coincidence. I think we'll all agree his season last year was a disaster yet he had a pretty good record. I'd rather have a goalie that has several good games of giving up two scores followed by a bad game with six than a goalie who consistently gives up four. We aren't in love with Greiss, but he has a very good record with the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigtim1988

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Greiss has proved he's a good goalie when the defense in front of him isn't total garbage. I think he and Halak faced more 2 on 1 rushes in two or three games last year than they have all season this year.
Every goalie in the league would have sucked last year if they were on the Islanders. A lot of goalies we consider to be elite are good because of the team they're on.

My only concern about Greiss is his mental strength, when he gives up an early goal or two he seems to panic and the flood gates open. His goals come in bunches and I don't think it's a coincidence. I think we'll all agree his season last year was a disaster yet he had a pretty good record. I'd rather have a goalie that has several good games of giving up two scores followed by a bad game with six than a goalie who consistently gives up four. We aren't in love with Greiss, but he has a very good record with the team.

Greiss isn't a good goalie, even with a a decent defense in front of him. He's too hot and cold. This team can't afford to have him as the #1 this year and next.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Greiss isn't a good goalie, even with a a decent defense in front of him. He's too hot and cold. This team can't afford to have him as the #1 this year and next.
Exactly right. The more starts Greiss gets, the less you're gonna like him. I don't think he's capable of carrying a #1's load.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
That will depend a lot on the Sorokin situation. If the can get him across the pond then either Lehner or Greiss will go, but for now I see them giving him another 1 year deal
I'm not sure if Sorokin immediately slides in a starting role with the big club. Just look at how Samsonov is being treated by DC

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I think Lamoriello realizes this though by the absurd amount of rumors that he tried to trade for Grubaeur and Bob as well being linked to here.

Reactions: MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Is Robin healthy? If so, why haven’t they gone back to him as the #1?

I felt like it was clear he has the higher upside of the two and yeah Greiss can string together a few games, but Lehner should be playing like he’s the starter.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Is Robin healthy? If so, why haven’t they gone back to him as the #1?

I felt like it was clear he has the higher upside of the two and yeah Greiss can string together a few games, but Lehner should be playing like he’s the starter.
He had a rough couple of games and Greiss had played well his last 2 starts.

I've said it here over the years. Thomas Greiss is not a number 1 goalie. He can't handle the work load. We saw it again last night. He was beat clean on the first 2 goals. The more consecutive starts he gets the less you'll like him.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He had a rough couple of games and Greiss had played well his last 2 starts.

I've said it here over the years. Thomas Greiss is not a number 1 goalie. He can't handle the work load. We saw it again last night. He was beat clean on the first 2 goals. The more consecutive starts he gets the less you'll like him.

Every coach seems to fall for the trap. He plays great for two games, then they roll him out for the third and he gives up a bunch of softies. They'll give Lehner a start now, if he has a rough go they'll go back to Greiss, and then repeat. I can't recall a time where he strung together more than three good starts, aside from the playoff series against the Panthers.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Every coach seems to fall for the trap. He plays great for two games, then they roll him out for the third and he gives up a bunch of softies. They'll give Lehner a start now, if he has a rough go they'll go back to Greiss, and then repeat. I can't recall a time where he strung together more than three good starts, aside from the playoff series against the Panthers.

Considering what he did last year 2 outta 3 ain’t bad.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
They are both head cases, there is a reason why Jaro is respected and selected to represent Europe in International Tournaments and was just signed for 2 years by Boston, an organization that knows what they are doing... you'd figure if they wanted to save money they could've just signed Lehner but they did not and theres a good reason why.

Lehner is an Isles move, through & through. Fans will be mocking him or calling for his head before Thanksgiving.
This.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Was excellent last night

Absolutely....I'm sure he wants that goal back (every goalie thinks they can make every stop) but that would have been a save of the week type save and he was otherwise extremely strong - kept us in the game at the end of the 3rd. I'm sure we all thought we were giving up the losing goal with under 2 minutes left.

I so much prefer a goalie who will come out and play the puck. Its such an advantage over Greiss who isn't comfortable at all out of his crease. I'd rather Greiss stay at home and not try to play the puck and cause a terrible turnover (at least he knows what he's not good at), but a goalie who's competent handling the puck can really help out his team.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This coming from a person who thinks Lehner was the best UFA goalie on the market and is a better player than Halak.

I did not want to take up the Hickey thread with our discussion about Lehner. But let's have it here.

He was absolutely the best goaltender in the UFA market and was a great match for the Islanders. But now when you reply to this post try to revert away from a snarky reply and give me something substantial to prove me wrong. Actually try and show me why Carter Hutton should have been signed until he is 35 years old for this Islander team.

You don't have many legs to stand on here. Hutton should not have gotten a three year deal by a transitioning Islanders team.

Cam Ward has a stunning .890 save percentage for the Blackhawks and has not had a save percentage above .910 since 2011-2012.

And then we have what will most likely be your answer which is the brilliant idea of resigning Halak. Yes, let's go resign a goalie who has had issues with management eventually wherever he goes. He has an amazing save percentage so far but it will obviously go down. Halak is a good goalie who had his chance to be the starter here and like Greiss he eventually falters. So as of now Lehner was the second best UFA on the market and the best option for the Islanders since Halak was never going to get signed and not many teams even wanted him considering he had to take a backup position on the Bruins.

Halak is a good goalie like I said. Nobody in their right mind signs Halak over Lehner to be their starting goalie though. For this young Islander team I will take the upside of Robin Lehner along with him not having off ice issues anymore, compared to Halak who has already had MULTIPLE problems here.

Halak had to go, unless you wanted to try a Halak/Greiss tandem for two years in a row after what we witnessed last year. Is that what you wanted to see?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I'm not sure if Sorokin immediately slides in a starting role with the big club. Just look at how Samsonov is being treated by DC

Samsonov is right where he should be, adjusting to the North American game in the AHL. He'll get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad