Confirmed with Link: Islanders Sign Robin Lehner, G - 1 Year Deal

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
NY Islanders are expecting to win with a duo of Greiss and Lehner.
Let that sink in.

Who said anything about "expecting" to win? The only way I'll think that's the goal is if they get Karlsson via trade. If that happens, then we are right back where we were with Tavares (minus the extra assets to get Karlsson). If we don't get Karlsson, we are certainly not "expecting to win".

Reactions: majormet

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
But, how is his lateral movement thou? - He is 6 foot 3 (6 foot 4ish) and weighs almost 250 pounds -

You now have the heaviest goalie duo in the NHL:
Greiss 6 foot 1 - almost 230 pounds (228)
Lehner 6 foot 3 - 6 foot 4 - almost 250 pounds (246)

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
But, how is his lateral movement thou? - He is 6 foot 3 (6 foot 4ish) and weighs almost 250 pounds -

He looked fine in the games I saw him in, but in fairness that was limited viewing. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'm pretty sure Jagr's quad muscles were 50lbs each on a scale lol!

Reactions: PK Cronin

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He stayed with the Capitals after all.
What are you basing that on? Those tweets are from yesterday. Have you seen something that says he re-upped on Washington? The prospect camp tweets pre-dated Gross's tweet.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

this tandem will have the absolute Worst SV% in the league - mark my words. Lehner is not an upgrade on Halak, this is a tank season. Lou is going to insulate the young talent by surrounding them with character guys, some of which he may let stick around in the long term if they are liked.

If anyone, for some reason thinks the Islanders will compete with this Tandem, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. The only thing the Isles will compete for is Jack Hughes this year, that it.

Reactions: PWJunior

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I really am unsure of why we are not happy about this signing. Lehner was a quality goalie in Buffalo and I believe he was the best UFA goalie out there. It's just for a year anyway.

Because Lehner is the epitome of mediocrity when it comes to NHL netminders. Signing Lehner over Halak is an admission that we are mailing it in, which I think we can deal with for 1 season. I just want to keep the kids morale up and see a winning culture instilled - if Islanders go back to being a bottom feeder, it's going to probably mean the end for them. With the Baby Boomers getting older and young professionals leaving LI, I don't see how they sell enough tickets to keep it going before Belmont is ready if they truly suck.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I really am unsure of why we are not happy about this signing. Lehner was a quality goalie in Buffalo and I believe he was the best UFA goalie out there. It's just for a year anyway.

No reason for anyone to be upset about this deal, unless they were expecting a Holtby type to be between the pipes to start the season. A 26 year old goalie on a one year deal, sounds fine to me.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Because Lehner is the epitome of mediocrity when it comes to NHL netminders. Signing Lehner over Halak is an admission that we are mailing it in, which I think we can deal with for 1 season. I just want to keep the kids morale up and see a winning culture instilled - if Islanders go back to being a bottom feeder, it's going to probably mean the end for them. With the Baby Boomers getting older and young professionals leaving LI, I don't see how they sell enough tickets to keep it going before Belmont is ready if they truly suck.

Lehner's career save percentage is the same as Halak's, he's younger, less injury prone, is cheaper, and still has some upside. Plus, it's only a year deal.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Lehner's career save percentage is the same as Halak's, he's younger, less injury prone, is cheaper, and still has some upside. Plus, it's only a year deal.

Lehner is trash. Many Buffalo fans have already broken down his SV % which according to them is not an accurate representation of his skill set. He cannot stop a shootout attempt for the life of him either and is supposedly a problem in the locker room, I guess if you don't give a shit what the outcome of the season is, he is the perfect guy for you.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Lehner is trash. Many Buffalo fans have already broken down his SV % which according to them is not an accurate representation of his skill set. He cannot stop a shootout attempt for the life of him either and is supposedly a problem in the locker room, I guess if you don't give a **** what the outcome of the season is, he is the perfect guy for you.

Halak let in a shot with seconds to go from the f***ing red line in Philadelphia with a playoff berth at stake. They suffer the same issues, except one of them is more durable. Who did you think we were going to get? The UFA options for goaltenders was horrible.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Halak let in a shot with seconds to go from the ****ing red line in Philadelphia with a playoff berth at stake. They suffer the same issues, except one of them is more durable. Who did you think we were going to get? The UFA options for goaltenders was horrible.

They are both head cases, there is a reason why Jaro is respected and selected to represent Europe in International Tournaments and was just signed for 2 years by Boston, an organization that knows what they are doing... you'd figure if they wanted to save money they could've just signed Lehner but they did not and theres a good reason why.

Lehner is an Isles move, through & through. Fans will be mocking him or calling for his head before Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Newsworthy

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They are both head cases, there is a reason why Jaro is respected and selected to represent Europe in International Tournaments and was just signed for 2 years by Boston, an organization that knows what they are doing... you'd figure if they wanted to save money they could've just signed Lehner but they did not and theres a good reason why.

Lehner is an Isles move, through & through. Fans will be mocking him or calling for his head before Thanksgiving.

I've accepted this season will be a mess already. There's little chance at fixing it at this point. There are no UFA options left, very few trades make much sense (except for dealing Nelson). We don't need cap room anymore...it's just...depressing.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Lehner is not an Isles move. Trading for Anderson and keeping Greiss is an Isles move. Lehner is a low risk, high reward move because now he will have people around him to make him learn how to use his talent better. Lamoriello, Trotz, and hopefully Korn will be here to teach him and have him grow.

The guy wants to win and is a hothead because all he has had in his career is losing. You may call that a head case, I'll call that the personality of a winner. Last time Halak had .920 save percentage or above was the 2013-2014 season. Halak would be such an Islander pickup as well, similar to the pickups of Boyes where they are signing for past production.

Say what you want about Lehner, but on the Sabres he has posted a .924, .920, and .908. He is a better goaltender than Halak.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Having Pekka Rinne in net next season wouldn't make a jack sh*t bit of a difference. This one year contract is a smart move. Maybe Lehner turns into something under different circumstances. Maybe not. But they have few years to figure out the goalie situation when they're ready to make a run.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
NY Islanders are expecting to win with a duo of Greiss and Lehner.
Let that sink in.
Can we try to be realistic?
Isles came out of the draft with the press saying they wanted a stopgap goalie.

Their owners have been proactive, meeting with Sorokin's rep in an attempt to get him to the next training camp.He has 2 yrs left on his contract.

On a weak goalie market...who is realisticly available?

Reactions: MartyC

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York
For whatever it's worth, Lehner had a very good high-danger save percentage of 77.88 percent last year. For frame of reference, that was higher than Matt Murray, Roberto Luongo, Marc-Andre Fleury, and Braden Holtby.

Reactions: bioman22

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

His lateral movement is his problem it's why he's so bad in the shootout. Literally the worst in NHL history by far in the Shootout save percentage. Buffalo fans will say that it's his Achilles heel, that and his habit of blaming others for his bad goals.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
2017-18

53 games played, 1563 saves, 3,01 GAA, 143 goals against
54 games played, 1417 saves, 3.19 GAA, 161 goals against

Can you tell which is Lehner and which is Halak?

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure all the dislike on Lehner.

I thought he was the best goalie on the market with regards to the known, ability and robustness. All this with a backdrop of (we have a Griess in net) making 3.5 and he seems to check out a lot. You may really need a back-up or option 1A/B plan that has to play 50 games.

First, do you trust Greiss in net 50 games this season? I don't.
Second, do you roll the dice with a younger Grubauer who hasn't even played 30 games in a season, I'm not sure I would. Grub had a .925 on a stacked team in front of him.
Third, do you roll the dice with an older Hutton who barely cracked 30 in a season (on stacked NSH or STL defensive-minded teams, with same career save % as Lehner). Dono, maybe?
Forth, do you trust a very expensive 37-40 year old for say +40 games this year, I don't.

Not a great number of options.

So there is Lehner at 26 years old, has played on a shitty team for 3 years and can hold up to 50+ games (you know in case Greiss can't pull his pants up), with better than a .915 %.

Seems like a perfect fit to me. The only thing I actually wish is that he was signed for 2 years.

Reactions: GiveDWrightskates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad