Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
This team has thrown up some real stinkers at home in recent seasons. Perhaps we'd be better off finishing in one of the wildcard spots.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The ice didn't really seem to effect the Islanders' legs last night :dunno:

The legs feed the wolf, gentlemen.

The effect of their transition game has been overstated. They weren't much of a problem except when they had numbers, usually after a bad play resulted in a turnover.

The Islanders offensive game involves throwing everything at the net and attacking. You really don't need good ice for that. You don't even need much skill, just need size and speed and a willingness to get dirty.

The Rangers needs to do that more. They must have done that "fake shot, shoot wide on purpose" thing 200 times last night and it never worked. Even with all of the Islanders standing between the blue line and the goal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Ah Herb Brooks quote

Herb Brooks is a damn gold mine for quotes.

Did you know: Herb Brooks was slated to take over the head coaching job for the Rangers in the 03-04 season, but when the contract negotiations started coming down, he wanted a slice of Cablevision and the Rangers said no.

I wonder if he would've been in Minnesota that August if he had taken the job :(

Source: This Book

Very good read.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
The effect of their transition game has been overstated. They weren't much of a problem except when they had numbers, usually after a bad play resulted in a turnover.

The Islanders offensive game involves throwing everything at the net and attacking. You really don't need good ice for that. You don't even need much skill, just need size and speed and a willingness to get dirty.

The Rangers needs to do that more. They must have done that "fake shot, shoot wide on purpose" thing 200 times last night and it never worked. Even with all of the Islanders standing between the blue line and the goal.

Eh, I sort of disagree.

I can't remember one Rangers odd-man rush. I can't remember when we successfully trapped any Islanders forward in our own end after a turnover. I can remember a lot more 50/50 pucks that were won by the Islanders.

They had the better legs last night, no question.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Eh, I sort of disagree.

I can't remember one Rangers odd-man rush. I can't remember when we successfully trapped any Islanders forward in our own end after a turnover. I can remember a lot more 50/50 pucks that were won by the Islanders.

They had the better legs last night, no question.

They skated well.

But the Rangers couldn't get through the neutral zone all night. They iced or turned the puck over constantly which let the Islanders into the zone. That takes a toll on forwards and D-men.

If there is a concern, its that.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is a skating team. The ice at MSG is bad.

Ice at most other arenas is better.

That's the issue right there.

Did that stop the Islanders from skating circles around them last night and controlling the puck seamlessly? I was almost dumbfounded watching how the Isles had the puck flat and could move it no problem, yet the Rangers seemed like they were skating in quicksand and passing/handling the puck like it was a Spaldeen?

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I purposefully stayed away from this place last night - how close to the ledge did folks get? :)

First game back from west coast + 1st period posts + hey, guess what, the Isles are a good team = loss. No big deal. Shake it off and start a new streak.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Why so much shuffling? Why not just...

Kreider - Hayes - MSL
Nash - Brass - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Stempniak

Welp...

5v5 Fast with Glass: CF% = 43.3
5v5 Fast w/o Glass: CF% = 48.8

5v5 Hayes with Glass: CF% = 37%
5v5 Hayes w/o Glass: CF% = 51.7%

Sorry, Kev.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Why so much shuffling? Why not just...

Kreider - Hayes - MSL
Nash - Brass - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Miller - Fast
Glass - Moore - Stempniak

Welp...

5v5 Fast with Glass: CF% = 43.3
5v5 Fast w/o Glass: CF% = 48.8

5v5 Hayes with Glass: CF% = 37%
5v5 Hayes w/o Glass: CF% = 51.7%

Sorry, Kev.

Glad to see Hayes and Fast rendered useless until Stepan is ready to play. Is there no cap space or something, or do they really not want to call someone up?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Good lord the ice wasn't the issue. The issue was the Islanders got the memo the 2nd period started. Unfortunately, some North Korean Islander fan hacker intercepted the message to the Rangers locker room and they weren't aware the 2nd period started. They were thoroughly outplayed, out hit, out skated and out manned that period.

It looked exactly like what the Rangers did to the Kings in the 2nd last Thursday.

Maybe they were tired, maybe they thought the Islanders would lay down and die, I don't know. I just know they sucked in the 2nd and the opposition did not.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
They skated well.

But the Rangers couldn't get through the neutral zone all night. They iced or turned the puck over constantly which let the Islanders into the zone. That takes a toll on forwards and D-men.

If there is a concern, its that.

After the first they talked to McD (I think) and he mentioned that the Islanders were playing a 1-3-1 system closing off the wings and preventing speed through the neutral zone.

I get that we need to play to our strengths, but when a team has effectively negated your biggest strength, you have to adjust. I don't think the Rangers adjusted.

In fact it's a pet peeve of mine with AV that he is stubbord to a fault in that his in game adjustments are almost nill.

as I mentioned before, we score those two goals that rang off the post, the Islanders are then asked to adjust their game to "get back in it" so to speak.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Not sure about that. The lack of effort and no willingness to compete was pretty glaring.

don't disagree, but you know as well as I do the game looks alot different being up or down 2-0

Yes, we still could have lost that game after being up 2-0, but the Islanders in an effort to get back in the game would most likely abandoned the 1-3-1 format to a more offensive oriented 2-1-2 in the hopes of creating turnovers in the Rangers defensive zone as opposed to the neutral zone.

At that point, the Rangers would be better able to use their speed game if not their compete level to keep the Islanders on their heels.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
There is a x-ray machine in MSG (as well as a doctor and I'm sure technicans to run the machine). The fact that Stepan was allowed to play at all in the 2nd suggests the x-rays were negative--doctor wouldn't have let him return to the bench otherwise. Probably will have an MRI in the morning.

do they give access to the equipment to the opposing team?

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
It is sickening ....Do you have any idea how easy it must be to play against the Rangers? I'm still waiting for a response from last year when Tavares two handed McD WITH A BASEBALL BAT SWING in the final seconds of the game..and here comes Lucic,McQuad and Chara....Matt Martin played that whole game last night knowing he could do whatever he wanted and wouldn't get challenged so why not take out our best center?

Stepan taken out with a slash by the lunk Matt Martin...no response. Pretty typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad