Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Isles have the cup in oyster bay today. This takes the whole "isles act like they won the cup when they beat us" thing to a whole new level.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The 13 teams the Rangers beat in their last 15 games don't really agree that we're easy to play against.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
How do you know? Jumbo called us the softest team in the league 2 years ago after we crushed them...Who wouldn't want to play against a team full of 5ft 7 players....Even when we beat teams we are not punishing them the other teams D could play with eggs in their pockets and we wouldn't break 1 egg during the whole game

The 13 teams the Rangers beat in their last 15 games don't really agree that we're easy to play against.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
After the first they talked to McD (I think) and he mentioned that the Islanders were playing a 1-3-1 system closing off the wings and preventing speed through the neutral zone.

I get that we need to play to our strengths, but when a team has effectively negated your biggest strength, you have to adjust. I don't think the Rangers adjusted.

In fact it's a pet peeve of mine with AV that he is stubbord to a fault in that his in game adjustments are almost nill.

as I mentioned before, we score those two goals that rang off the post, the Islanders are then asked to adjust their game to "get back in it" so to speak.

They trapped the NZ perfectly pretty much the entire game. And they were outstanding at their own blue line. Last night was a clinic on how to legally interfere with forecheckers.

The Rangers transition game is supposed to, in theory, be able to break a trap. The idea is to get up ice before they can get set up. But the Islanders were good at disrupting the first pass and our D made some poor decisions. Our D like to fiddle around with the puck, they would reverse the puck back and forth behind the net for 60 straight minutes if they were allowed. Which is why we struggle against teams that play the 1-3-1 like Tampa and the Islanders.

I'm not sure if they didn't adjust or if the execution was just piss poor.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
High quality look at Boyle's Falcon Punch, courtesy of /r/rangers:

http://gfycat.com/VainInsignificantFugu

And a gif version:

VainInsignificantFugu.gif

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
do they give access to the equipment to the opposing team?

Yes.

Common courtesy.

though x-ray's don't show soft tissue damage which is what Stepan may be dealing with and since it was so soon after it happened, I doubt a bod bruise would haev been visable as well.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So frustrating when people don't realize how small of a sample size 1/82 is...

Even the top teams in the NHL only win like 60-65% of their games. We got outworked last night, it happens to every team; It's not some structural flaw, or impending doom FFS

Grit, face-offs, effort, yada yada...heard all this same **** last season. :clittle:

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So frustrating when people don't realize how small of a sample size 1/82 is...

Even the top teams in the NHL only win like 60-65% of their games. We got outworked last night, it happens to every team; It's not some structural flaw, or impending doom FFS

Grit, face-offs, effort, yada yada...heard all this same **** last season. :clittle:

Funny how those weren't a problem when they won 13 of 14 and swept California...

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Of course (medical personel too). What goes around comes around. Even in war, opposing sides help the wounded--and fortunately, this is sports we're talking about.

Of course on the medical attention, that goes without saying. But an instant X-Ray service can get the opposing player back on the ice or court as opposed to going to the hospital and the game being over by the time they get the results.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
High quality look at Boyle's Falcon Punch, courtesy of /r/rangers:

http://gfycat.com/VainInsignificantFugu

And a gif version:

VainInsignificantFugu.gif

That is funny and Dan Boyle is a men's looking dude when he's mad. Like an angry dog showing its teeth.

BTW the whole thing was started by dumbass Hamonic deciding to hit Stempniak at the buzzer in a 3-0 game. Then he gets rocked and goes down and gets mad and tries to fight Stempniak. What a dumbass that dude is.

NYRangerFan*

How do you know? Jumbo called us the softest team in the league 2 years ago after we crushed them...Who wouldn't want to play against a team full of 5ft 7 players....Even when we beat teams we are not punishing them the other teams D could play with eggs in their pockets and we wouldn't break 1 egg during the whole game

Oh stop. Our guys throw some hits. You make it seem like we never hit anybody

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
We better figure them out

or we are going to have trouble in the playoffs.

Their style is not unlike that of the Rangers under Torts with the whole shot-blocking thing. Of course we didn't have Tavares...

But it IS a style that can be adapted to. I expect AV will find the poison pill for this.

3 more games to get them down before the playoffs.

Make no mistake, this will be a tough opponent.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
or we are going to have trouble in the playoffs.

Their style is not unlike that of the Rangers under Torts with the whole shot-blocking thing. Of course we didn't have Tavares...

But it IS a style that can be adapted to. I expect AV will find the poison pill for this.

3 more games to get them down before the playoffs.

Make no mistake, this will be a tough opponent.

Ulf said we had no problem with their style, the guys just didn't bring the energy last night

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think that Ulf is full of ****

but that's just my opinion.

Unforced turnovers and slow skating are what killed us. Not the Isles' system.

Isles devour teams that can't beat them to loose pucks and can't relieve forecheck pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad