Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This team didnt have their legs tonight. Their effort was poor...or half the teams effort continued to decrease as the game went on. Some of them just gave up when they were trailing and realized their legs werent what they usually are.

Two days off. I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Sorry. First, please define "bad at face-offs". My definition: you are bad at face-offs when you more face-offs than you win. You are bad at face-offs when the team can't consistently hope that you can win face-offs.

Here's not my opinion:

The Rangers' current top 3 centers are all losing more face-offs than they are winning. As a whole, Brassard + Stepan + Hayes have lost 206 more face-offs than they have won.

The game was lost in the 2nd period, when the Rangers lost many face-offs in their own zone, and immediately lost possession of the puck.

What is your point? The evidence is literally directly staring you in the face on this one and you're still arguing this point?
You guys know the face-offs were 32-27 tonight, right?

1st period face-offs (Our best period): 5 NYR - 13 NYI
2nd period face-offs (aka Joe's meltdown): 17 NYR - 13 NYI
3rd period face-offs (zZzZz): 5 NYR - 6 NYI

---
If you're 49% on Face-offs, you're "bad" at them?

Stepan: below average
Brassard: average
D. Moore: above average

The difference is we replaced Richards, who was average, with Hayes, who sucks. That hasn't stopped Hayes from having positive possession numbers relative to the rest of the team.

---

An extra 100 face-off wins averages out to like...an additional 2.45 goals, IIRC.

Last edited:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
This team did have their legs tonight. Their effort was poor...or half the teams effort continued to decrease as the game went on. Some of them just gave up when they were trailing and realized their legs werent what they usually are.

Two days off. I'm disappointed.

Their bodies were probably okay, but their minds were flat. When that happens, nothing happens.
I watched it too, and it was not pretty. One thing I believe is that the Islanders have a lethal attack. The way they followed the puck and pressured the Rangers tonight was what any coach would love to see their team do. The Rangers did not have it in them to make it hard for the Islanders.
I believe the Rangers are the better team, and would be over a playoff series.

Last edited:

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Weak effort. Girardi need to be stronger on the first goal. Was thinking to myself during 1st period, "well, seems like Miller somehow starting to get his game together finally", then he totally ***** himself, I mean, what the **** was he thinking with that pass? Well, tough loss....

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Weak effort. Girardi need to be stronger on the first goal. Was thinking to myself during 1st period, "well, seems like Miller somehow starting to get his game together finally", then he totally ***** himself, I mean, what the **** was he thinking with that pass? Well, tough loss....

Girardi missed by a couple of fractions of a second in getting to the puck before the Islander who swatted it in. Miller was not up to his previous efforts. A bunch of other Rangers were off by the same amount, and that is all it takes to lose against a motivated team like the Islanders tonight.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If Brassard cashes-in that yawning net it's a whole different game I reckon.
If Step is out, do Lindberg or Hrivik get the call? Hope its not Mueller.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Despite the divisional loss to the Isles it's hard to be upset with the team given their performance overall recently.

In hindsight they should have played edgier and tried to get them off their game a bit because their defense was phenomenal all night.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
two posts changes the game.

We score there, game is completely different. Islanders were better and earned the win.

Petty simple really.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
its just one game of 82. who cares if their fans are boasting.

but they gotta bring up a real center and not dress Glass for these 3 tough games in 65 hours -
I prefer giving Lindberg a trial under fire
faceoffs have been our weakness, cant let it become a disability

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
Frustrating to see the Rangers not get up for this one, but they've played so well lately that I can't be too upset about it. What annoyed me was how the team basically stopped skating after the three posts in one shift. That was when the game ended to them.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
That was a nightmare. New day though...Boston will be ready for us.

We better be ready for them. Fatigue won't be a factor this time.

The Beezer

Jan 24, 2010
Jersey
Bad game, move on. Brass scores and Hank doesn't give up the softie I'm pretty sure we don't see the word embarrassed in the thread as much as we do.

Let's just hope Step is ok and move on to Boston. Also we dodged a major bullet as I still don't know how Hags escaped without a serious Karlsson type injury as his leg was pretty much stepped on.

Lastly I don't understand all the hate on John Moore.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Bad game, move on. Brass scores and Hank doesn't give up the softie I'm pretty sure we don't see the word embarrassed in the thread as much as we do.

Let's just hope Step is ok and move on to Boston. Also we dodged a major bullet as I still don't know how Hags escaped without a serious Karlsson type injury as his leg was pretty much stepped on.

Lastly I don't understand all the hate on John Moore.

The third goal didn't matter. We got embarrassed plain and simple beyond the first period. Statistically and otherwise.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If Brassard cashes-in that yawning net it's a whole different game I reckon.
If Step is out, do Lindberg or Hrivik get the call? Hope its not Mueller.

I hope its Lindberg. The MSL at center experiment should not be revisited under any circumstance. If I go off what I read, OL has been one if Hartfords best players, Let him slide into Moore's spot in the 4th line and see what he can give you, at least you know he wont be totally lost defensively. Perhaps put him with Fast & Miller and see if something pops.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
So funny story. As you might imagine my bedroom is littered with Rangers stuff. And as many of you know, I get a little....excited.

After that loss to the Wings in Detroit I got little....excited and took all my Rangers stuff and threw it in the closet never to be seen again. Two days later I calmed down as I always do.

It's just a game and you aren't even in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleed Blue 24 7

Ranger's Mascot
Feb 27, 2012
HairyPossibleIrishdraughthorse.gif

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I have been on Moore since last year. This isn't a fickle view point of mine. He can't think the game at the level it needs to be thunk.

He looked in the West coast trip because Vigneault sheltered him.

this just isn't accurate at all.

he played well last year and through out the playoffs. av said so on many occasions.

pretty much everyone including the fancy stats peeps agree that moores play was very strong and his possession numbers thru the roof on that trip.

last night he was not responsible for the loss, nor was his play that much different than the rest of the d or the entire team, for that matter.

agenda driven drivel like this is tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad