Speculation: Islanders incoming cap crunch

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
There are reports that teams will be in such dire straits that they will walk away from quality rfas,not make qualifying offers. I think Dreger reported that and it's posted here on HF.
If these reports that we will see some owners scramble just to stay afloat ,try to avoid selling their teams, then I think we will see teams forced to play cap fl tricks,look for cheap alternatives and there is not much cheaper then a solid RHD,making $1.25m next season,who can slot in as a 4/5.
The issue isnt the 1.5m remaining, it is the 3.7 or whatever next season and the cap hit that comes with it.

Like you said lots of guys are going to be looking for work and there isnt a lot of money. Plenty of guys are going to be available at 1.5m that don't come with an extra year and a 6m cap hit.

I'd love to see a trade that involves Boychuk that both saves cap room for NYI and saves another team money by putting them below that cap. I'm still waiting...

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It's $2.6m per for the next 2 seasons, not $5.2m per.
Disagree. $2.6m per for a solid RHD, who brings veteran leadership and will come cheaply will draw interest.
Boychuk's first comment after being dealt from Boston to the isles was " we ( Isles) are a good team".
Don't underestimate what swag and locker room leadership means to a floundering organization.

Regardless of what his actual salary is his cap hit is still 6m per season. I'm sorry but this all sounds like wishful thinking. He's a bottom pairing defenceman at this point and is turning 37 soon. Boychuck is a negative asset no matter how much you try to spin things.

Reactions: teddygmr

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Regardless of what his actual salary is his cap hit is still 6m per season. I'm sorry but this all sounds like wishful thinking. He's a bottom pairing defenceman at this point and is turning 37 soon. Boychuck is a negative asset no matter how much you try to spin things.

True. It's like trying to get rid of Eriksson, Sutter, Ferland or Baertschi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
2013 and an RFA is a combo Treliving loves...

Domi has been mentioned... Let's try Pulock?

How much more anguish over the Hamonic deal are we looking for here in Calgary, NYI fans? ;)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Cash strapped teams will have to get creative and slotting Boychuk and his $1.25m salary onto next season's roster could be very appealing.

NHL GMs preparing for new economic realities brought on by COVID-19
“It’s unprecedented,” said Brad Treliving of the Calgary Flames.

Winnipeg Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff said he expects to see some restricted free agents across the league who would have normally been tagged with qualifying offers cut loose.

While stars will get scooped up regardless of the economic conditions, Washington Capitals GM Brian MacLellan said it’s going to be difficult for teams at or near the cap to round out the bottom portion of their rosters.
“It’s going to be tight,” he said. “There’s going to be some tough decisions that have to be made.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
2013 and an RFA is a combo Treliving loves...

Domi has been mentioned... Let's try Pulock?

How much more anguish over the Hamonic deal are we looking for here in Calgary, NYI fans? ;)
I see no high end, low cost pieces in Calgary that I would want for Pulock. No young stud under team control for the next 4-5 seasons.

I loved Hamonic, but Pulock is a much better player, with a high ceiling then Hamonic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
What part of some teams will be spending nearing the cap fl, desperate to save actual cash don't you grasp?
For those teams, slotting Boychuk and his $1.25m salary onto next season's roster could be very appealing, no matter how you try to spin it.

What teams will need help reaching the cap floor? When has a team in NHL history needed help previously and taken a negative asset, without any type of sweetener, to do so? This is not a thing, has never been a thing, and won't be a thing this offseason.

Nah, Boychuk is not appealing to anyone and is a negative asset. No one "needs to get creative" by adding 37 year-olds with a 6M cap hit. What is the appeal or purpose for a team do so? Your articles only confirm it will be harder to move Boychuk not easier lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I see no high end, low cost pieces in Calgary that I would want for Pulock. No young stud under team control for the next 4-5 seasons.

I loved Hamonic, but Pulock is a much better player, with a high ceiling then Hamonic.
Agreed. Bring in Lou Lam and he knows which players are needed to be a winner.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What teams will need help reaching the cap floor? When has a team in NHL history needed help previously and taken a negative asset, without any type of sweetener, to do so? This is not a thing, has never been a thing, and won't be a thing this offseason.

Nah, Boychuk is not appealing to anyone and is a negative asset. No one "needs to get creative" by adding 37 year-olds with a 6M cap hit. What is the appeal or purpose for a team do so? Your articles only confirm it will be harder to move Boychuk not easier lol.
It is not a question of reaching the cap fl,but making moves to avoid paying actual cash out.
If I am a cash strapped team,I would rather pay Boychuk $1.25m in actual cash as my 4/5,then pay another player 2x or more to fill that role.
And his cap hit will not affect a team ,spending as close to the fl as possible.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
It is not a question of reaching the cap fl,but making moves to avoid paying actual cash out.
If I am a cash strapped team,I would rather pay Boychuk $1.25m in actual cash as my 4/5,then pay another player 2x or more to fill that role.
And his cap hit will not affect a team ,spending as close to the fl as possible.

You're still not answering why would a team make would make such a move? What is the incentive for them to do so? Again, regardless of his actual salary his cap hit is 6M per season. That severely reduces a team's flexibility. There will be way better players available than Boychuck if teams like Detroit or New Jersey decide to take on cap dumps. Instead of paying Boychuk 1.25M this year and 4M next season, and then carrying a massive 6M cap hit, or paying another player 2.5M for 2 years and carrying a 2.5M cap hit, why not just pay a player 1M and have a corresponding 1M cap hit? No one cares enough about swag to overlook simple economics.

You're not grasping the fact that there is literally no reason for a team to take on Boychuk's cap hit, even if his salary is less (this year it's less, next year it's 4M with signing bonuses).

There are going to be some interesting bargains this offseason, several RFA's are reportedly not even being qualified and lots of teams want to shed cap. NYI will have to add a sweetener to move Boychuk, to believe otherwise is just wishful thinking.

Reactions: periferal

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I may be mistaken, but don't the Isles have one of the top NHL cap guys in their front office?(don't remember his name). I think between LouLam and him the Isles'll figure this out.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
You're still not answering why would a team make would make such a move? What is the incentive for them to do so? Again, regardless of his actual salary his cap hit is 6M per season. That severely reduces a team's flexibility. There will be way better players available than Boychuck if teams like Detroit or New Jersey decide to take on cap dumps. Instead of paying Boychuk 1.25M this year and 4M next season, and then carrying a massive 6M cap hit, or paying another player 2.5M for 2 years and carrying a 2.5M cap hit, why not just pay a player 1M and have a corresponding 1M cap hit? No one cares enough about swag to overlook simple economics.

You're not grasping the fact that there is literally no reason for a team to take on Boychuk's cap hit, even if his salary is less (this year it's less, next year it's 4M with signing bonuses).

There are going to be some interesting bargains this offseason, several RFA's are reportedly not even being qualified and lots of teams want to shed cap. NYI will have to add a sweetener to move Boychuk, to believe otherwise is just wishful thinking.
Boychuk 's still a solid player,who can slide in as a 4/5. A RHD who is an on ice and locker room leader. Very unlikely a cash strapped team,with a payroll closer to the cap fl then the ceiling,finds a similar player for $1.25m.

And I am not the one predicting some teams are facing difficulties with next season's payrolls.Several GMs were quoted in the article I posted. Because of the cash difficulties facing the league,I think teams will value that $1.25m salary.
And who is to say another team would not ask the isles to retain a little salary,then flip Boychuk at the TDL.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Both Flames and NYI fans can sleep better knowing a deal won't be consummated then. :)

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Boychuk 's still a solid player,who can slide in as a 4/5. A RHD who is an on ice and locker room leader. Very unlikely a cash strapped team,with a payroll closer to the cap fl then the ceiling,finds a similar player for $1.25m.

And I am not the one predicting some teams are facing difficulties with next season's payrolls.Several GMs were quoted in the article I posted. Because of the cash difficulties facing the league,I think teams will value that $1.25m salary.
And who is to say another team would not ask the isles to retain a little salary,then flip Boychuk at the TDL.

Dude you are just not getting it. There is no motivation in the first place to take on Boychuk's cap hit regardless of the discrepancy between said cap hit and salary. He's basically a bottom pairing defenceman in his late 30's. You can keep repeating yourself but you still aren't offering any real reason why a team would take his cap hit, regardless of how close to the floor they are.

Let's try another approach, what team do you honestly think would trade for, and give up assets for, Boychuk this offseason? I'll happily make a trade proposal and we'll see what opposing fans of said team feel about the idea that their team will take Boychuk simply because there is a "disparity between his cap hit and salary". That is just the reality of his contract, and not a reason for any team to actively want him or acquire him.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
FWIW Arthur Staple thinks the Isles might buy out Komarov, would save 2 mil on the cap this year. He was a useful player in the playoffs, Trotz trusts him, so maybe a team bites, but otherwise I would expect a buy-out to help chip away at the problem.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Dude you are just not getting it. There is no motivation in the first place to take on Boychuk's cap hit regardless of the discrepancy between said cap hit and salary. He's basically a bottom pairing defenceman in his late 30's. You can keep repeating yourself but you still aren't offering any real reason why a team would take his cap hit, regardless of how close to the floor they are.

Let's try another approach, what team do you honestly think would trade for, and give up assets for, Boychuk this offseason? I'll happily make a trade proposal and we'll see what opposing fans of said team feel about the idea that their team will take Boychuk simply because there is a "disparity between his cap hit and salary". That is just the reality of his contract, and not a reason for any team to actively want him or acquire him.
Not sure if it was here or the other "Isles have a cap problem" thread but a Devils fan agreed to a Schneider for Boychuk deal. Devils get a guy who can still play in the NHL, Isles buy out Schneider at a better rate than they would have done for Boychuk. Big Q is if Boychuk would agree to it, obviously, but I think that's the sort of creative deal that would be required to make it work.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Not sure if it was here or the other "Isles have a cap problem" thread but a Devils fan agreed to a Schneider for Boychuk deal. Devils get a guy who can still play in the NHL, Isles buy out Schneider at a better rate than they would have done for Boychuk. Big Q is if Boychuk would agree to it, obviously, but I think that's the sort of creative deal that would be required to make it work.

Yup, it will require an exchange of cap dumps or some sort of sweetener. I guess it would depend on whether the Isles would be amenable to buying Schneider out or not.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
FWIW Arthur Staple thinks the Isles might buy out Komarov, would save 2 mil on the cap this year. He was a useful player in the playoffs, Trotz trusts him, so maybe a team bites, but otherwise I would expect a buy-out to help chip away at the problem.

I think this is more Art's wishful thinking than reality. Trotz loves Leo, Lou loves Leo...just don't see it happening.

I don't foresee any problems with the Isles cap. They'll sign or match anything Barzal gets, same with Pulock. They'll go over 10% to around 90 Mill and then dump off whatever to get back down. If it takes the 1st rounder in 2021 to ditch Ladd or someone else, big deal. For better or for worse the Isles are looking at not having to touch D, G, C for a long time.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Devils shouldnt be clogging up valuable playing time with a falling off #6 - that spot is better used to develop somebody and, tbh, I dont want my young defenseman learning from Boychuk

Schneiders cap is not a problem with is - zero need to trade contracts for NJ, only NY has a cap issue

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I may be mistaken, but don't the Isles have one of the top NHL cap guys in their front office?(don't remember his name). I think between LouLam and him the Isles'll figure this out.

What does that matter to other GM's when Lou calls them to dump a contract?

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

I don't think it's a 2mil savings this year. I think the hit is 2mil this year, 1.5 next and 500k+ the following 2. He also has a m-ntc. A Clutterbuck buyout yields a better result from a cap standpoint. Not sure either would happen.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I dont want my young defenseman learning from Boychuk

Curious as to why. Is it the Stanley Cup ring he wears something the Devils shouldn't see since they're so far away from contention it might give them hope and not get another top 5 pick? Is it the sacrificing of the body in order to stop a goal something the Devils defenders should continue to not do? I guess Subban's all they need to learn from when it comes to veteran defensemen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad