Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part III

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don't really understand why Ottawa cares if he ends up in the East this season. They can't control where he goes next season, since he's a UFA. And it's not like they're contending and don't want to face him in the East playoffs this year.

Usually, teams only care about trading a player out of conference if a]they're contending also and don't want to run into that player with the new team and b]if the player is signed for long-term, so it will be multiple years of facing the player and his new team.

Something to keep in mind in regards to that stipulation, the last time Ottawa traded with Sanjose (Mike Hoffman), they turned around and flipped him to Florida for a better package. I could see Wilson calling Dorion after that for Karlsson and being told to kick rocks.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The Islanders are weak on the left side, and need another defense first, bottom pairing type to clear the front of the net and play some on the PK. Sbisa absolutely has a good chance to stick around, like it or not.

Reactions: dood

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The Islanders are weak on the left side, and need another defense first, bottom pairing type to clear the front of the net and play some on the PK. Sbisa absolutely has a good chance to stick around, like it or not.

Leddy
Hickey
Pelech

Who is he replacing for you?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Pelech (who can also play on the right side) or Hickey, who I maintain is a terrible defenseman.
maybe Hickey gets the call, vs smaller teams, and Pelech and Sbisa alternate in and out? it's good to have options, especially on D.

i like Aho and Toews, so i would like to see Sbisa instead of Hickey. with Hickey and Leddy on the left side, i think we are too small.

Leddy-Boychuk
Sbisa-Pulock
Hickey/Toews-Mayfield/Pelech

really liking that we finally have decent size on D.

seriously, i would like to see Trotz try icing 7D, and 11 F. rotate the 3 best centers, maybe? maybe this would make it hard for opposing teams to line match? i know, i know... i am a bit radical ;)

and i understand how us fans might be scratching our heads at all the mediocre signings, but i am hoping that LL can turn these into draft picks, for what seems a strong and deep draft.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Get as many players as possible and if they are all good enough, sign them. The idea is to achieve as much assets as possible so we can use to trade them for prospects and picks for the partial rebuild. We are'nt going through a full rebuild, but if we can land 3-4 key pieces, we're golden.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
LOU IS going to piss of Lee and Eberle.for starters they have to use their own money for long term .insurance if LOU doesn't offer them a contract. That's millions of money from their pockets. Insurance isn't 5%. Then he can't get anyone to sign here except 4th liners and can't trade for anyone because most of the good players have the ISLES on a no trade list which caused snow to make few trades. They threw millions at 4th liners this off-season but they may not want Lee and eberle next season? Trade them today already then.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
LOU IS going to piss of Lee and Eberle.for starters they have to use their own money for long term .insurance if LOU doesn't offer them a contract. That's millions of money from their pockets. Insurance isn't 5%. Then he can't get anyone to sign here except 4th liners and can't trade for anyone because most of the good players have the ISLES on a no trade list which caused snow to make few trades. They threw millions at 4th liners this off-season but they may not want Lee and eberle next season? Trade them today already then.

You would be the first one to say it was a dumb contract to resign Lee for eight years when he scores 25-30 goals this year and not 40 again.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

I'm just gonna say it. What the heck are you talking about ?

LGI

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
You would be the first one to say it was a dumb contract to resign Lee for eight years when he scores 25-30 goals this year and not 40 again.
Actually no. Eight years of 25 goal scorer at 6 million a year and give the same.deal to eberle. They aren't getting g replaced with karlson. Either they walk for nothing or they are moved for picks but the player on the team who gets that money the next three years will be more 4th liners.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I'm just gonna say it. What the heck are you talking about ?

LGI
The point is LOU is not offering contracts to these UFA players. He wants to be able to flip them for draft picks if the.season goals bad fast. If I'm either player I'm.angry and won't be doing the ISLES any favors when free agency starts. And if the ISLES have a good.season and they are upset when he tries to sign them in January now he has to keep them and lose them for nothing like JT, Kyle, and frans

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Actually no. Eight years of 25 goal scorer at 6 million a year and give the same.deal to eberle. They aren't getting g replaced with karlson. Either they walk for nothing or they are moved for picks but the player on the team who gets that money the next three years will be more 4th liners.

Oh you are going to give Lee an eight year deal for $6 million per year? Sign me up.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The point is LOU is not offering contracts to these UFA players. He wants to be able to flip them for draft picks if the.season goals bad fast. If I'm either player I'm.angry and won't be doing the ISLES any favors when free agency starts. And if the ISLES have a good.season and they are upset when he tries to sign them in January now he has to keep them and lose them for nothing like JT, Kyle, and frans

Now fill us in on this whole insurance situation .

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
maybe Hickey gets the call, vs smaller teams, and Pelech and Sbisa alternate in and out? it's good to have options, especially on D.

i like Aho and Toews, so i would like to see Sbisa instead of Hickey. with Hickey and Leddy on the left side, i think we are too small.

Leddy-Boychuk
Sbisa-Pulock
Hickey/Toews-Mayfield/Pelech

really liking that we finally have decent size on D.

seriously, i would like to see Trotz try icing 7D, and 11 F. rotate the 3 best centers, maybe? maybe this would make it hard for opposing teams to line match? i know, i know... i am a bit radical ;)

and i understand how us fans might be scratching our heads at all the mediocre signings, but i am hoping that LL can turn these into draft picks, for what seems a strong and deep draft.

I think Trotz is going to make use of all the D men, at least early on. It's an open audition for spots right now.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Sbisa should be a 7th defenseman here. Press box many nights or he spells one of our top 6. I can’t see a Dobson, Toews, or Aho making the team as a 7D. Either one of them beats Pelech or Mayfield for a job in the top 6 or they should start the year in the AHL, not watching as a healthy scratch here.
Sbisa is going to have to step it up a bit next time out. He’s slow and he had a rough time of keeping the puck in at the blue line today. Very uninpressive this afternoon.

Reactions: IODCPiper

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm really curious how the possible looming labor stoppage could effect things like that. Are owners going to sign or extend anybody if they already know (or know the players) they are going to initiate a labor dispute?

Reactions: SI90

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

But Pulock flourished with Hickey on his side and Hickey spent 60 games putting up a +20.

That generally means, even with a new coaching staff, that you don't fix what's not broken.

Problem here is that you've got what, 13 bonafide NHL forwards signed plus Kovar, plus Ho-Sang, plus Johnston and Fritz.

So yet another one is supposed to sit so that a 7th Dmen get 4-6 minutes of play per night?

This is a thought that many of us have. And for that reason, all these tradeable assets are going to have to be playing in order to garner the necessary interest, even if we fans would likely rather see some of the kids, whose development sure as heck won't be hurt by being on the farm for half a season or more; or, for fresh draft picks, back in juniors for another year that could include a major WJC role.

That's looking at things from an asset management standpoint.

Now, if a kid like Bellows continues to have a nice preseason, then pops in 10 some goals in his first 15 AHL games, well you can't really not give him a shot, especially if your NHL team should be having any problems scoring goals.

Heading into the season, we have reason to believe it might be.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00