Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don't see any major moves being made TBH. Look for one of the vet defenseman like Hamhuis, Enstrom, Orpik or Martin to get scooped up on a one year show me type deal. That's it though IMO.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
What are thoughts on this trade proposal?

Would we do it?
Would they do it?
What needs to be tweaked?

To Islanders:

-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
-2019 3rd pick

To Edmonton:

-Josh Bailey
-Michael Dal Colle
That would probably get laughed at by other Oilers fans, Bailey is 4 years older and we have a special connection to Nuge. Now that he hit his stride next to Mcdavid in the last 20 or so games and went ppg with him, we dont really want to trade him unless its a bit of an overpay. I'll respectfully say no and give my counteroffer:
Nuge + pick (2nd?)
For
Beavillier + Bellows + MDC

If we are trading Nuge. We want to get younger, not older through Bailey. Here you guys compile your lesser assets for a big one.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
I don't usually propose many trades. But here I've got two.

But how about with Tampa?

We get Tyler Johnson
Tampa gets: 2019 2nd, MVS and Clutterbuck (25% retained)

Does Tampa do this?

2nd one:

We get: Justin Faulk
Carolina gets: Anders Lee, 2020 1st Round pick.

Too much?

not done yet...

We sign Rick Nash for a two year deal to replace Lee. May not be popular but at least he makes up for some offense.

Nash Barzal Eberle
Beauvillier Johnson Bailey
Ladd Filppula Nelson
Martin Cizikas Komarov
Kuhnhachl

Leddy Boychuk
Pulock Faulk
Pelech Hickey
Mayfield

Lehner
Greiss

I know the 3rd line is "cringe worthy ".

Let me know what you think please.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

We get Tyler Johnson

Does Tampa do this?

2nd one:

Too much?

not done yet...

We sign Rick Nash for a two year deal to replace Lee. May not be popular but at least he makes up for some offense.

Nash Barzal Eberle
Ladd Filppula Nelson
Martin Cizikas Komarov
Kuhnhachl

Leddy Boychuk
Pulock Faulk
Pelech Hickey
Mayfield

Lehner
Greiss

Tampa says no to the first deal, and that's WAY too much for Faulk IMO

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I'd like to pick up Hamhuis if a trade option doesn't make sense, hell even if it does make sense he is an upgrade on some players.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I'd like to pick up Hamhuis if a trade option doesn't make sense, hell even if it does make sense he is an upgrade on some players.

Hamhuis is a bit long in the tooth these days, he visited here in his prime as a UFA and was unimpressed, there may be other options in UFA that can place set when a kid is ready this year

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't see any major moves being made TBH. Look for one of the vet defenseman like Hamhuis, Enstrom, Orpik or Martin to get scooped up on a one year show me type deal. That's it though IMO.

Hamhuis or Enstrom.

Enstrom is underrated

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
There is one thing, albeit a pretty major thing, that I am disappointed in Lou with so far. He did great with his coach hire, dont think he could have done any more to keep Tavares, think Lehner should hopefully be at least as good as Halak, and although the abundance of 4th liner signings is a bit weird, no big deal, I still think the offense will be okay. However, with that said, offense and even goaltending were not this team's biggest problem. This team had far and away the worst group of defensemen in the league. Now will Barry Trotz improve the defense regardless of the names? Yes, but not enough to make this unit playoff-worthy. The number one thing that needed to be added this offseason, even regardless of what happened with Tavares, was at least one and hopefully two NHL level starting defensemen. Everybody said it, all the writers, all the broadcasters, all of us. Yet, not a single one, not even ONE dman has been added, and that is not even counting Calvin De Haan leaving.
There is no way, NO WAY, anybody can tell me that there are not defensemen available. And I am not even asking for the Erik Karlsson's of the league, I would be content with a solid #3 and #5 dman. There is no way we could not acquire this level of a dman with picks and a combination of some of our prospects. Again, I am not saying we should be trading Bellows AND Ho Sang AND Wahlstrom AND Dobson AND Toews AND Pelech AND PULOCK, etc., but there is no reason we cannot take 1 or 2 of them packaged with picks and upgrade the NHL defense. Remember this is exactly the trap Garth Snow fell into that was his undoing. You cannot just endlessly stockpile draft picks and prospects and never use some to upgrade the NHL roster. We dont need ALL of the prospects and upcoming draft picks.
So, to sum up, when I see statements that we are "likely done," it is hard not to be disappointed with Lou when our absolute biggest need has not even slightly been addressed.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

We get Tyler Johnson

Does Tampa do this?

2nd one:

Too much?

not done yet...

Nash Barzal Eberle
Ladd Filppula Nelson
Martin Cizikas Komarov
Kuhnhachl

Leddy Boychuk
Pulock Faulk
Pelech Hickey
Mayfield

Lehner
Greiss

Two recent examples involving first round picks are the Vanek trade with a first leaving and the flames trade with a first coming back should teach us that we should never trade a future first round pick unless we are a legit cup contender . With all the lottery changes every team has a chance to move up. The Devils won the lottery and the Flyers won the second pick last year . But I will surely accept a future first from a bubble team. This year's draft was fun.

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
Given that there has been much debate as of late between whether we should rebuild or retool, I decided to hypothetically carry out each plan. For each, I started with our current roster, and then made a bunch of trades (to the extreme) to construct our roster for this coming season. I then projected what our roster would potentially look like 3 years down the road, and what our cap situation could be at that point, for each plan. I have stated repeatedly that I am in favor of the rebuild strategy, and I believe this exercise will show why that is the best route to take. In the first post after this one, I will show my projected “Retool Plan”. In the second post after this one, I will show my projected “Rebuild Plan”.

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
“Retool Plan”
Current Roster

Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Ladd-Filpula-Komorov
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
L eddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock
Hickey-Mayfield
Lehrner-Greiss
Retool Trades:
We Trade- 2 1sts (19’ and 20’), 2 2nd’s (19’ and 20’), Bellows, Dobson, Ho sang, Dal Colle, and Wilde
We Receive- Duchene, Brodin, and Karlsson
New Roster (This Upcoming Season)
Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Duchene-Bailey
Ladd-Filpula-Nelson
Brodin-Karlsson
Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Lehrner-Greiss
3 Years From Now
Beau (5 mil)-Barzal (10 mil)-Eberle (7mil)
Lee (7 mil)-Duchene (9 mil)- Wahlstrom (1 mil)
Ladd (5 mil)-Free Agent (2 mil)- Bailey (5 mil)
Free Agent (2 mil)-Cizikas (3.5 mil)- Clutterbuck (3.5 mil)
Brodin (8 mil)-Karlsson (10 mil)
Leddy (5.5 mil)-Boychuk (6 mil)
Toews (4 mil)- Pulock(5 mil)
Sorokin (8 mil)-Soderstrom (3 mil)
-Cap hits added together = 109 mil, 29 mil over the current 80 mil cap. Maybe the cap might go up a little bit over the next 3 years, but reasonably, not by more than a few mil. So bottom line, based upon using the “Retool Plan”, we would be way over the cap in a few years, and will have to trade several of our current players anyway. Therefore, why not trade them now, get a boatload of draft picks and prospects for them, and build a team that can compete for a championship for a decade, starting 3 years from now. My next post, the “Rebuild Plan”, does exactly that.

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
“Rebuild Plan”
Current Roster

Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Ladd-Filpula-Komorov
L eddy-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock
Hickey-Mayfield
Lehrner-Greiss
Rebuild Trades:
We Trade- Lee, Bailey, Leddy, and Nelson
We Receive- 3 1st’s and 1 2nd (considered a conservative return based upon other HF posters, in actuality we’d probably get more)
New Roster (This Upcoming Season)
Beau-Barzal-Eberle
Dal Colle-Filpula-Ho sang
Ladd-Komorov-Kuhnackle
Hickey-Boychuk
Pelech-Pulock
Toews-Mayfield
Lehrner-Greiss
3 Years From Now
Beau (5 mil)-Barzal (10 mil)-Eberle (7mil)
Bellows (4 mil)-Hughes (1 mil)-Wahlstrom (1 mil)
[1st rd pick] (1 mil)- [1st rd pick] (1 mil)- Ho sang (5 mil)
Ladd (5 mil)-Cizikas (3.5 mil)- Free Agent (2 mil)
[1st rd pick] (1 mil)-Dobson (1 mil)
Toews (4 mil)- Pulock (4 mil)
[1st rd pick] (1 mil)- Boychuk (6 mil)
Sorokin (8 mil)- Soderstrom (3 mil)
-Cap hits added together = 74 mil, 6 mil under the current 80 mil cap. Just like I stated in the “Retool Plan”, assuming the cap goes up a few mil over the next few years, the Isles would have even more cap space. A couple of things I notice when I evaluate the projected 3 year roster of the “Rebuild Plan” to that of the “Retool Plan”. First off, as I previously stated, the “Re-tool Plan” roster wouldn’t even be able to exist due to cap constraints, so that basically ends the discussion right there. Second, in terms of pure talent, I feel the “Rebuild Plan” team is a significantly better team. If you are wondering what [1st rd pick] means above, that is assuming we drafted a player in the first round and are plugging him into the lineup. For those of you thinking that might be expecting too much of the youth, remember, between the Islanders own 1st rd picks over the next 3 years, plus the 3 they would acquire via trade, that would give them 6 1st rd picks over the next 3 years. Assuming that the majority of these 1st rd picks would be selected in the 19’ and 20’ drafts, and that we are talking several years down the road, I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that 4 out of those 6 1st rd picks would not only be ready, but would be primed to perform for us at a very effective level. So think of all that young, high level of talent, and then compare that to the fact that many of the then veterans on the “Retool Plan” team would already be in the downturn of their careers. I think it is pretty evident that the “Rebuild Plan” team would be superior. Third, with the “Rebuild Plan” team having an absolutely loaded young nucleus of talent, they would then be able to package future 1st rd picks (2022 and 2023 drafts) in order to really “go for it” 3 years from now. Taking everything into consideration, I believe that the “Rebuild Plan” would not only make us significantly better in 3 years time, but would also place us in a position to achieve a decade’s worth of excellence, as opposed to the “Retool Plan”, which would place us in a seemingly unending cycle of mediocrity.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That would probably get laughed at by other Oilers fans, Bailey is 4 years older and we have a special connection to Nuge. Now that he hit his stride next to Mcdavid in the last 20 or so games and went ppg with him, we dont really want to trade him unless its a bit of an overpay. I'll respectfully say no and give my counteroffer:
Nuge + pick (2nd?)
For
Beavillier + Bellows + MDC

If we are trading Nuge. We want to get younger, not older through Bailey. Here you guys compile your lesser assets for a big one.
2 first rounders who are developing well for RHN's 45-55 pts a yr?

Not even tempting.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I had expected Washington to sign Orpik at a reduced salary. I am guessing that after extending Carlson, they do not have much left over to lure Orpik back.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I had expected Washington to sign Orpik at a reduced salary. I am guessing that after extending Carlson, they do not have much left over to lure Orpik back.

Isles could use at least one more defenseman here once injuries hit. If Lamoriello can get him on a one year deal I would not mind it.

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY

We get Tyler Johnson

Does Tampa do this?

2nd one:

Too much?

not done yet...

Nash Barzal Eberle
Ladd Filppula Nelson
Martin Cizikas Komarov
Kuhnhachl

Leddy Boychuk
Pulock Faulk
Pelech Hickey
Mayfield

Lehner
Greiss

Both players would be nice but that's a big overpay for Faulk and an underpay for Johnson.

Lee / Faulk is pretty even. Add in a b-level D prospect to make up for Faulk's extra year on his contract.

A. Lee + MVS or P. Wotherspoon for J. Faulk

Johnson should command a 1st (which I wouldn't do) or at least two 2nds +.

2019 2nd (CGY), R. Iskhakov + D. Toews for T. Johnson
^only do this trade if a trade for a top 4 D is a done deal

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
2 first rounders who are developing well for RHN's 45-55 pts a yr?

Not even tempting.
He was on pace for 63 this season playing mostly with absolute shit wingers and 3rd line/2nd pp time. Not to mention he would match up against the other top lines due to his good 2 way play and let Barzal be sheltered like he was behind Tavares.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He was on pace for 63 this season playing mostly with absolute **** wingers and 3rd line/2nd pp time. Not to mention he would match up against the other top lines due to his good 2 way play and let Barzal be sheltered like he was behind Tavares.

If that is the cost for RNH, NYI will take their chances with Beauvillier and play him at center rather than moving him AND Bellows for RNH and a second round pick which lets be honest, doesn’t move the needle at all in this scenario.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Isles could use at least one more defenseman here once injuries hit. If Lamoriello can get him on a one year deal I would not mind it.

We really just need one NHL body back there, this would the Seidenberg type signing, although I think a top 4 is the missing piece for the playoffs... If Mayfield/Pelech is the bottom pairing, I think we will fall short of the playoffs even with Trotz, but just adding an upgrade over Mayfield could be the answer.

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
I think the "problem" is that we (and more importantly Trotz and LL) don't know how these players will perform under proper coaching. Second, we have a lot of nice prospects and it could be that in three years we have a killer roster without any trades. So if this team could make the playoffs with Trotz and then start adding prospects to the team as they mature, I'm not sure we want to make a big splash right now if it costs our future.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
He was on pace for 63 this season playing mostly with absolute **** wingers and 3rd line/2nd pp time. Not to mention he would match up against the other top lines due to his good 2 way play and let Barzal be sheltered like he was behind Tavares.

Both Lou and Trotz have made the comment that they will use this season to evaluate their players. Who stays,who goes. I expect it to take more then 1 offseason to get the team they want.
No interest, none, in giving up 2 top prospects for a 45-55 pt 2nd line center.

Adding RNH's 45-55 pts do not push the isles into serious cup contention. The 2019 draft is deep at center .

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just heard we may have traded for big young Defensman Marcus Pettersson from the ducks but I can’t find anything anywhere on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad