Islanders General Rumour, Trade, FA, & Waiver Speculation 2018-19 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would love Muzzin or Martinez. Think Muzzin would cost more.

Kings fans seemed uninterested in Nelson + and some were even leery of a Lee trade arguing he is either a) carried by Tavares or b) too close to unrestricted free agency.
That ufa status argument does not hold up after reading LA held extension talks with MaxPac's rep
I am sure the isles would let Lee's rep hold extension talks, with a GM trying to acquire him

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Wouldnt mind getting skinner and faulk in a fair deal . I could envision Skinner liking what he sees and sticking around long term .

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Wouldnt mind getting skinner and faulk in a fair deal . I could envision Skinner liking what he sees and sticking around long term .
Coming out of the draft weekend, it was reported that Lou had been in trade discussions involving MaxPac and Skinner.
Later the press said Carolina had a couple of potential Skinner trades that he blocked. Gotta wonder if a draft lottery isles team, that was possibly losing Tavares, was not one of the trade destinations Skinner blocked.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think if there’s anyone that could really benefit from Tavares leaving it’s Nelson, so I’d be surprised if he’s traded.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I think if there’s anyone that could really benefit from Tavares leaving it’s Nelson, so I’d be surprised if he’s traded.

I agree with this. Lou said he was staying if I am not mistaken.

An intriguing player to me is Joel Edmundson. Seems like a guy who could slot 4/5. Not sure if he would fit. I expect to see some type of defenseman added.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

100% but this kid has NEVER shown the motor to step up and bounce on a chance to excel for longer than a month. Maybe professional coaching can inspire him but personally I'd have to see it to believe it.

Reactions: dood

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
100% but this kid has NEVER shown the motor to step up and bounce on a chance to excel for longer than a month. Maybe professional coaching can inspire him but personally I'd have to see it to believe it.

This is the thing. Remember the Ted Nolan effect? He got guys to raise their games just like Arbour did. What's sad is that those are the only two guys that I can point to that actually did that.

Laviolette wasn't here long enough for me to say yes he did or no he didn't. But really since Lavy it was Nolan and the rest was pure junk.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I liked Bennett in his draft year, but I'm not sure what the point would be in acquiring him now. It seems like it would be spending assets to acquire a question mark. We have enough of those already, right? We need exclamation points, not question marks. If we do anything on the trade front I hope it's trading depth for a sure solution to one of our problems, likely via taking on salary from a team in a pinch.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

The same things were said about Bailey, and it all of the sudden clicked for him, so you never know.

I'm hoping Nelson is getting tired of waiting until AUG/SEP to sign a contract and realizes with Tavares gone, there's a top six spot for him to lose.

This is his chance to prove he's more than a middling scorer and really cash in (he's going to be a UFA next year), and Trotz is the guy who can help him do it.

He's going to get good ice time between two really good players (who they will be remains to be seen), but this is really his last chance to prove he's worth something lie 4 years, 16M, and not just a journeyman with a decent shot.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
HB mentions Dan Hamhuis today - I kind of forgot that he is still out there. LHD that played 20 minutes a night for Dallas last year. He played many years for Trotz. He's 35, so he's probably seeing 1 year offers. I'd rather see them make a deal for a long-term top 4 solution, and I haven't seen him play in years. But, could he fill in the de Haan space competently short-term and take pressure off Toews, etc. development-wise?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
HB mentions Dan Hamhuis today - I kind of forgot that he is still out there. LHD that played 20 minutes a night for Dallas last year. He played many years for Trotz. He's 35, so he's probably seeing 1 year offers. I'd rather see them make a deal for a long-term top 4 solution, and I haven't seen him play in years. But, could he fill in the de Haan space competently short-term and take pressure off Toews, etc. development-wise?

I would love Hamhuis, especially on a one year deal. He is who I often compared CdH to, veteran partner for Pulock. If things fall apart and we're selling at the TDL, we could probably get a 2nd rounder or something for him.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Nelson is lucky if he can hang on to his 3rd line spot, nevermind excel in a 2C role. he is gone, IMO. not so much that he doesn't deserve to play, but it would seem that he is overvaluing himself right off of the Island.

he is a good filler, but i don't see us winning with half-hearted players like him.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
I think Nelson is back and he battles Kovar for that 2C, I just don't think they are going to do anything else offensively. If the Islanders are going to hold steady offensively by losing he who shouldn't be named then it is going to have to be some wingers upping their game to make those two look better. The ideal thing would be Ho-Sang breaks out- otherwise perhaps slapping a C on Ladd's jersey will get him to come closer to his old self. Bailey has to show he doesn't need pajama boy to excel as well. The only question really is what D that Lou gets because I doubt he is going to pencil in Toews or just go with Pelech/Mayfield/Hickey behind our big 3. We are getting one if not two more blue liners one would think

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This is the thing. Remember the Ted Nolan effect? He got guys to raise their games just like Arbour did. What's sad is that those are the only two guys that I can point to that actually did that.

Laviolette wasn't here long enough for me to say yes he did or no he didn't. But really since Lavy it was Nolan and the rest was pure junk.

Lavy got a lot out of Jason Blake and Sean Bates.

Reactions: NineHoleGoal

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I still see a match here with the Flames for Brodie.

Ryan Murray just accepted his qualifying offer - he ain't going anywhere.

People talking about trading Nelson or Cizikas or whomever for a d man.

Faulk is the obvious candidate, but I will mentioned Brodie again.

Nelson (4m) for Brodie (4.65m)

The Flames will be in Cap Trouble once Lindholm (5m per) and Hanifin (5m per) get their new contracts.
They resign Jankowski and Kulak for 1m per each - The Flames are now right at 79m and very little to offer a back up goalie.

The deal can always gets expanded to involve Ho-Sang and Bennett (if you believe Bennett can still play C).

Bennett (1.95m) vs. Ho-Sang (.875k) gives the Flames more cap room and potentially Ho-Sang can fill a need for RW in the top 6.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The Flames will be in Cap Trouble once Lindholm (5m per) and Hanifin (5m per) get their new contracts.

Brouwer 2 years @ 4.5M for Clutterbuck 4 years @ 3.5M (Maybe Islanders offer to eat 500k)

SI

Feb 16, 2013

They resign Jankowski and Kulak for 1m per each - The Flames are now right at 79m and very little to offer a back up goalie.

The deal can always gets expanded to involve Ho-Sang and Bennett (if you believe Bennett can still play C).

Bennett (1.95m) vs. Ho-Sang (.875k) gives the Flames more cap room and potentially Ho-Sang can fill a need for RW in the top 6.

Nelson for Brodie deal

Roster looks like -

Beau - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Kovar - Bailey
Ladd - Filppula - Ho-Sang
Komarov - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Kuhnackl and Martin extra F's
Johnston in the AHL
Leddy - Boychuk
Brodie - Pelech
Hickey - Pulock
Mayfield

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Ho-Sang for Bennett is horrible for the isles. Yes Bennett is a proven NHL and can still become a really good player but Ho-Santa ceiling is ridiculous and he hasn’t been given a full chance.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Brodie is coming off back to back lousy yrs.
Despite the way the Flames and Calgary media took of the knives on Hamilton after he was traded, imo the Flames would have preferred moving the less skilled Brodie or Hamonic, but their trade value was not high enough.

As for Faulk...I think he is overrated . His development looks to have stalled. I would have interest,but be leery of overpaying.
I think it would probably be easier to pry Faulk away because Carolina wants a change in the locker room and could be facing cap issues especially if Skinner continues to block trades.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
The same things were said about Bailey, and it all of the sudden clicked for him, so you never know.

I'm hoping Nelson is getting tired of waiting until AUG/SEP to sign a contract and realizes with Tavares gone, there's a top six spot for him to lose.

This is his chance to prove he's more than a middling scorer and really cash in (he's going to be a UFA next year), and Trotz is the guy who can help him do it.

He's going to get good ice time between two really good players (who they will be remains to be seen), but this is really his last chance to prove he's worth something lie 4 years, 16M, and not just a journeyman with a decent shot.
nellies arb. hearing is at sometime in july so he's going to be signed one way or another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad