Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I’m definitely guilty of this lol.

View attachment 748570
I get the impulse, as I said, I do it too.

I’m was joking about the sticky obviously lol, I don’t have any expectations about affecting any change with my post.

But I would recommend being less defensive about prospects, I’ve made a point to try to stop doing it and it’s f***ing freeing lol.

Being really emotionally invested in them excelling right from the draft is just adding a weird burden to your fandom. I don’t need even more emotionally demanding, active rooting interests, the Devils are plenty.

Maybe other people never experienced that, but it felt like that to me, and I got off that ride. I’m very happy when our prospects do well but I’m more objective about them now.

Yea calling out a mistakes is very hard around here with some players. We are all excited for these guys, we want them to succeed, we fully expect them to succeed, but saying "oof that was a rookie mistake" shouldn't be looked at like you have an agenda. It's a mistake in a moment in a huge body of work, nobody is compiling a list to bring to the GM to convince him to cut the guy loose.

People need to relax.

Also these are defensemen and not only is defender’s development not linear, sometimes it’s just plain weird.

Offensive Defensemen are particularly prone to up and down years. Severson, a PMD rather than an offensive D, probably has the strangest year by year trajectory of any player I’ve ever seen lol.

Luke is going to be an adventure lol, just buckle up.

There will be posters who‘ll dump on Luke, or just disagree, I’m not imagining a HFDevils board without endless debates. I’m not delusional (or at least not too delusional.)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sports really went down hill when the term "sample size" entered the everyday fans vernacular

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Sports really went down hill when the term "sample size" entered the everyday fans vernacular
Depends why you watch sports.

I watch them because I derive enjoyment out of my team winning, sure, or watching beautiful hockey. But more than that I watch because it's an interesting, complicated system than I want to understand. It's an antique pocket watch, but one that's constantly changing. It's really beautiful.

And understanding that game (in my opinion) requires an understanding of things like statistics, and sampling, and a recognition of process over result. We're still in the dawn of the moneypuck era for most fans, and that's super exciting for me.

Some folks might think how I approach learning about and talking about and watching the game takes some of the magic out of it, but for me that stuff IS the magic.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Depends why you watch sports.

I watch them because I derive enjoyment out of my team winning, sure, or watching beautiful hockey. But more than that I watch because it's an interesting, complicated system than I want to understand. It's an antique pocket watch, but one that's constantly changing. It's really beautiful.

And understanding that game (in my opinion) requires an understanding of things like statistics, and sampling, and a recognition of process over result. We're still in the dawn of the moneypuck era for most fans, and that's super exciting for me.

Some folks might think how I approach learning about and talking about and watching the game takes some of the magic out of it, but for me that stuff IS the magic.
I kind of feel that sports betting is the bigger driver than the thirst for knowledge. In general.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I kind of feel that sports betting is the bigger driver than the thirst for knowledge.
Probably true for most folks, though if that were the only driver we wouldn't see nearly as many public models popping up.

Personally I only gamble using odds boosts. Love my free money.

Reactions: My3Sons

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Kevin bahl has looked really good.

Getting bahl and Mercer in return for a beat up Taylor hall is some franchise altering stuff
rarely been happier to be (apparently) completely wrong on a guy. He looked like an absolute zero when he started getting games last season. I believe I specifically said "I am not a Bahliever."

but this is why you have professionals making decisions.

Reactions: My3Sons

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
My preseason assessment. Nosek and Miller will fill the role of bottom line whipping boys when things go wrong. Dougie will fill that role among the top line players. Luke will be the young player that a certain segment of the board will want traded immediately due to his defensive play.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My preseason assessment. Nosek and Miller will fill the role of bottom line whipping boys when things go wrong. Dougie will fill that role among the top line players. Luke will be the young player that a certain segment of the board will want traded immediately due to his defensive play.
I honestly can't imagine anyone making a case to trade a 20 year old Luke?

3rd and 4th liners and bottom pairing D...are almost always the safest for the mob to come after without a tremendous amount of push back.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
We should keep in mind that Luke’s missed time due to an injury, but I’m not sure why people here are nuts when the consensus is roughly what you say here.

I don’t think anyone doubts Hughes’ offensive upside etc or didn’t see the good things offensively tonight.

Luke can be careless at times and occasionally lacks an attention to details with defense. He needs to work on that. People keep defending him by pointing out the strengths everyone knows he’s has.

With Schmid, People are typically critical when a goalie gives up 5 goals on 20 shots. There were 5 HD Scoring chances and 4 went in. He can expect better defense in the regular season but save on a breakaway would’ve been nice too. Breakaways happen, no team prevents thems at all times.

Saying it wasn’t a great game from him isn’t bashing.

I like Luke, but to just give him a pass and shit on Nemec is BS.

I felt like Luke struggled with both games so far. (But he may also be nursing a injury)

Ironically, I think his skating has gotten into trouble. You can see he wants to take off down the ice, but the safe play is a pass.

Does this means he sucks. No. Should he get sent down. No.

But many guys have sophomore slumps or did well at the end of one season to start slow. Luke doesn't just get a free pass from criticism.

Edit: I agree with your posts.

I feel like if Nemec was a 4th Hughes he would get less guff.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Agree that he hasn’t looked nearly good enough and I’d probably be sending him to Utica today. No chance he makes opening lineup. But, it’s too small of a sample to suggest he’s a career AHLer at best.

Hopefully he performs well in Utica and then shows a little more if he gets a call up or at least at next years camp.
Yeah i agree it was presumptuous to write him off just from preseason. But we already know he’s a top-line AHL forward and it was pretty clear he’s still far off from being an above-replacement level NHLer. He’d have to be top 5 or 10 in AHLscoring this year for me to re-evaluate his potential, because unless he does that, he essentially hasn’t improved. And at his age, that’s the Mike Sislo kiss of death.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah i agree it was presumptuous to write him off just from preseason. But we already know he’s a top-line AHL forward and it was pretty clear he’s still far off from being an above-replacement level NHLer. He’d have to be top 5 or 10 in AHLscoring this year for me to re-evaluate his potential, because unless he does that, he essentially hasn’t improved. And at his age, that’s the Mike Sislo kiss of death.
I still don’t think that’s fair. You are essentially writing him off still by saying he’d have to do that to make you re-evaluate his potential. 3 preseason games. He didn’t look good enough. That doesn’t even mean he’s far from a replacement level NHLer. It’s tough to come in and perform right away in a short preseason and there’s a ton of factors. Pretty sure he looked a decent bit better last preseason.

It wouldn’t surprise me whatsoever if he got called up in a month and fit right in.

Nothing more than a slight setback. If he keeps performing well In Utica he will get more opportunities to show himself and stick this season or next preseason.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I honestly can't imagine anyone making a case to trade a 20 year old Luke?

3rd and 4th liners and bottom pairing D...are almost always the safest for the mob to come after without a tremendous amount of push back.
It particularly helps that Nosek and Miller are the guys that weren't homegrown, weren't highly publicized and sought after additions, and are both likely supplanting players that many fans are enamoured with if they're getting playing time (Nemec and Bastian).

I think variance is going to be the responsible for the most games lost with this team (like it often was last year). The forward group is so stacked that it's hard to imagine any one player being eggregiously bad enough to single-handedly cost the team games, and the defense has a lot of potential depending on how Hughes plays. The only things I'm concerned about are what D are going to PK and how consistent the goaltending will be.

Reactions: JimEIV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad