IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg
IMG_4227.jpeg

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
You guys are nuts.

L. Hughes last season looked great. 100%.

This preseason, Luke has been ragged in the D-Zone . Ok in the O zone, boarder line terrible in the D-Zone. Example: On the Lee Tip, he just coughs it up. In the Rangers game, he was out muscled. Both games he struggles to get pucks out of the D-Zone. Personally, I think he might be hurting still.

Nemec has looked better in the Preseason. Better in O zone, ok on defense.

I think the Shmid bashing is a little weird too. The Devils’ D, struggled. Tips, break-aways, wide open guys in front. Shmid, got the W. Those last two blocks at the end, saved the day.
I disagree, I think Luke has looked very good apart from the occasional poor play (that 2nd Islanders goal was mainly on him). There's still some work to do in the D-zone (I don't think he's actually that bad apart from the occasional blunder) but his skating allows him to contain the offense in transition very well and get to loose pucks and keep possession. I'd also say he's looked much more than just okay in the O-zone, he's a consistent threat with the puck on his stick and should only get better as the year goes on. I think he's much more NHL ready than Nemec at this point.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Goalies on both sides tbh got left out to dry, it was basically a glorified scrimmage tonight. Kinda makes sense the high flyers/elite skaters stood out in the game with Barzal picking up 2 goals and Bratt with a hat trick. Engvall's goal was soft from Schmid too but all speed on that goal again.
I still think engvall did a great job closing the gap to score there. But all the Devils goals were either started by or created by one of Hughes, Marino, or Bratt.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
As a Devils fan who lives in Brooklyn, it's one of the biggest pains to leave a good like, 2 hours or sometimes 2 hours and a half before games just to get NJ either by public transport or car but I guess I'm not complaining anymore since the team is relevant but when they were bad, man did those trips suck to the highest degree coming back home from.
I find it’s well under 2 hours with public transportation from Brooklyn, but I guess it depends on where you’re coming from, but may god have mercy on your soul if you want to drive.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I find it’s well under 2 hours with public transportation from Brooklyn, but I guess it depends on where you’re coming from, but may god have mercy on your soul if you want to drive.

Yeah it's usually like an hour and half but I'm also someone who rather be early by a lot than miss like 5-10 of game action. Also I don't trust NJ transit from Penn at all, lol. There's been times where I've had to uber from the station to Pru Center.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Bratt is a monster. He's so good, so fast, and so elusive. The chemistry that he and Hughes has is so scary as an opposing fan. I think Bratt gets a 90+ point season

Funny thing is he's looked like this since he stepped into the league six years ago. He's just had lots of slumps and inconsistency mixed in with absolutely brilliant play. Bratt when he's on looks like a 90-100 point guy. If he finds consistency it's going to be fun year.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Luke is going to make his far share of mistakes on the D-zone this year and probably next year also. But we will learn to live with it because he should make up for it else where.

Also Luke is probably going to have tougher games against heavy teams like the Islanders IMO. At least until he fills out and get more comfortable with the NHL game.

Its like Severson but Luke has an excuse right now... he's a rookie hahaha.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Was gifted free tickets so I went to the game tonight.

Luke is going to be the real deal. Hard to analyze how every player was tonight , both teams made plenty of mistakes (it happens every game preseason or not). Schmid didn't have the greatest of nights but that glove save towards the end of the game was very " Marty " like lol. Oh and the passing play for Hughes' goal was one of the prettiest hockey plays I've ever seen live. It's no fluke the Devils have been undefeated in the preseason.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Sacha is a national treasure.

I legit blew a funny fuse when I saw Borat in the cinema. Top 5 movie going experience for me.
I will never forget seeing 2 elderly Grandparents walk in with their 2 grandchildren to go see Bruno. My then gf and I at the time were like… well this is going to be good. We watched them 15 rows down as closely as we did the movie and if you’ve seen that movie you will understand why they got up very upset less than 5 minutes in and walked out :laugh:

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Luke is undoubtedly going to be an adventure at times. Part of playing a (barely) 20 year old defenseman in the NHL.

but I honestly don't give a f*** how he looks in preseason on a team icing a half roster after seeing his reps limited because of injury. If he was out there playing 19 minutes per game against the Canes in the playoffs, looking pretty good, do we think those games are more indicative of his current abilities or literally any number of preseason tilts?

Only two reasons to care about how anybody looks in preseason 1) do they look healthy after a major injury or 2) will they make the team.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I will never forget seeing 2 elderly Grandparents walk in with their 2 grandchildren to go see Bruno. My then gf and I at the time were like… well this is going to be good. We watched them 15 rows down as closely as we did the movie and if you’ve seen that movie you will understand why they got up very upset less than 5 minutes in and walked out :laugh:
had the same experience after the filipino scene looool

think 5 people marched right out

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Luke - Nemec could be a legit 2nd pair right now, I think there's a lot of chemistry there. But I don't think there's room for Nemec just yet.

Siegs - Hamilton
Bahl - Marino
Hughes - Miller

In two years could be

Hughes - Marino
Casey - Nemec
Siegs - Hamilton
Bahl

That's an incredibly strong d group. Best of all you could legit dress 7 dmen regularly, since Casey could just as easily slot in at F.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

Yeah it's usually like an hour and half but I'm also someone who rather be early by a lot than miss like 5-10 of game action. Also I don't trust NJ transit from Penn at all, lol. There's been times where I've had to uber from the station to Pru Center.

The thing about Brooklyn is that it really depends where you're coming from.

Like I'm in just about the most northern part of Brooklyn possible. Close enough to the various Queens crossings to get into Manhattan and take a tunnel into Jersey to get to the game. Usually fine.

But if you're going to be coming from southern Brooklyn to do that, you're going to spend an extra 45 minutes on the BQE alone, godspeed. So then you're stuck either going through Staten Island or over through Canal Street, both are nothing but traffic around 5ish anyway.

Between the waiting at NY Penn and the more-than-occasional NJT delays and chaos (Partially due to NY Penn being NY Penn), I've had a lot more luck with the PATH train. Also helps that my closest subway line stops right at a PATH station lol

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
That was a lot of fun last night! Only the 2nd hat trick I've ever gotten to see live. Coincidentally, the first was Kovy's against the Islanders back in 2012.

I'm sure it was already discussed to death in this thread, but the Bratt-Jack-Toffoli line looks like magic so far. If they can keep this up, the league's in trouble. They're so quick with their puck movement, they look like they've played together for years. Toffoli fits them so well.

Enjoyed seeing Devils legend Ken Appelby return to eat good in the neighborhood one more time.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It's also possible that Luke is just playing a very very loose game because it's preseason. So far we've seen 50% NJD teams...at best across the five games. There have been moments of globetrotting that you (hopefully) won't see in the regular season. There have been moments where players are trying to "make the team" versus "make the right play". It's pre-season.

We truly do know, though, that Luke has insane talent. I'm not the slightest bit worried about Luke or Simon. The stuff they CAN do is way more encourage than the holes in their games.

If anything, I'm worried about:
1. goaltending
2. teams trying to play a grinding, low-event system against us (Flyers strategy)
3. punishing fore-check styles (Canes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad