GDT: Islanders @ Devils - 7 P.M. - MSG/MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Watching the highlights and thinking that we got our main forward core signed to either team friendly or atleast fair market value long-term deals.

24697773.gif

Hey rest of the league! eNJoy the ride :sarcasm:

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's also possible that Luke is just playing a very very loose game because it's preseason. So far we've seen 50% NJD teams...at best across the five games. There have been moments of globetrotting that you (hopefully) won't see in the regular season. There have been moments where players are trying to "make the team" versus "make the right play". It's pre-season.

We truly do know, though, that Luke has insane talent. I'm not the slightest bit worried about Luke or Simon. The stuff they CAN do is way more encourage than the holes in their games.

If anything, I'm worried about:
1. goaltending
2. teams trying to play a grinding, low-event system against us (Flyers strategy)
3. punishing fore-check styles (Canes)

Has anyone said they’re actually worried about Luke. It seems like people just said he had a bad game and people are taking it as some big slight

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
It's also possible that Luke is just playing a very very loose game because it's preseason. So far we've seen 50% NJD teams...at best across the five games. There have been moments of globetrotting that you (hopefully) won't see in the regular season. There have been moments where players are trying to "make the team" versus "make the right play". It's pre-season.

We truly do know, though, that Luke has insane talent. I'm not the slightest bit worried about Luke or Simon. The stuff they CAN do is way more encourage than the holes in their games.

If anything, I'm worried about:
1. goaltending
2. teams trying to play a grinding, low-event system against us (Flyers strategy)
3. punishing fore-check styles (Canes)
Yeah, I mean, Luke played good in his own zone with us last season in the regular season and in the playoffs. He held his own more than I thought in those games without compromising on the offense. 1 so-so game doesn’t change that. We haven’t even seen this team with all its elements playing together yet.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Has anyone said they’re actually worried about Luke. It seems like people just said he had a bad game and people are taking it as some big slight
I saw a few Luke isn’t ready posts and thought that was interesting. Most know it’s time for him and he’s showed some very good things going back to last season. His potential and abilities are sky high for a D-man, highest we’ve had since Nieds tbh.

But yeah, I don’t think many are actually worried, good players have rough/so-so games at times, it happens. Luke’s overall body of work since entering the league is vastly positive though.

You can’t teach that offensive ability and skating. He might be in the top 3 best skaters on the team already lmao.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Went back to watch the highlights, and lost in the fold a bit is that Graeme Clarke looks like a career AHLer at best IMO. I don't think there's enough to his game to warrant more than a few games here or there when injuries hit.
Agree that he hasn’t looked nearly good enough and I’d probably be sending him to Utica today. No chance he makes opening lineup. But, it’s too small of a sample to suggest he’s a career AHLer at best.

Hopefully he performs well in Utica and then shows a little more if he gets a call up or at least at next years camp.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
I hope not he struggled against a veteran islanders team in pre season.. and if he is in our top 6 this year he is gonna a bunch of mistakes.. all good..Nemec too.. although he looks a bit more seasoned as he had a year in AHL ... they are both going to be really good.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
forgot to mention - kind of liked Misyul yesterday. he could carve out a bottom pairing/7D career as a big bodied hitter
Can not say I agree with any of this. He looked slow and didn’t really hit at all. First time I’d really seen him and nothing about him really impressed me

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
he didn't look great.. he had a bad game. If that was his great than you should panic.. he played bad last night.. its not a big deal.. he is obviously going to be a work horse for this team at some point... this year he will play well most of the time and will make some mistakes thats what you get with young d..... more importantly last season in playoffs he looked great.

devilsfan950003

Jul 3, 2023

I'm beginning to push for Bahl to pair with Marino on that second pairing. Let Luke play with Miller on the third line pairing. They can protect Luke on that third line along with Miller (or Smith).

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm beginning to push for Bahl to pair with Marino on that second pairing. Let Luke play with Miller on the third line pairing. They can protect Luke on that third line along with Miller (or Smith).
It’s really hard to protect dmen in any way other than playing them with a good partner. Only 3 pairings and often hard to control who they end up against other than trying when you can at home to keep them away from the top line.

So if Luke and Miller both need protecting they can’t play together.

Reactions: theoptimist

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I saw a few Luke isn’t ready posts and thought that was interesting. Most know it’s time for him and he’s showed some very good things going back to last season. His potential and abilities are sky high for a D-man, highest we’ve had since Nieds tbh.

But yeah, I don’t think many are actually worried, good players have rough/so-so games at times, it happens. Luke’s overall body of work since entering the league is vastly positive though.

You can’t teach that offensive ability and skating. He might be in the top 3 best skaters on the team already lmao.
That's the key point, his skating ability is better than everyone on the team that doesn't share his last name. That is valuable weapon and it'll serve him in his progression with ability to make up for some mistakes with pure athleticism.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Fair enough...Perhaps I'm just heading off any doomerism on Young Skywalker.
Luke’s going to do dumb things and amazing things and all of them will be discussed.

I get the impulse to defend players we like, I do it too.

I feel like there should be a sticky about how it’s established and that basically everyone* knows he’s a stud because we don’t need “but that unreal skating, transition, offensive upside tho” when people mention he shouldn’t turn over the puck around the net.

*Yeah, I don’t care about people who want to whine about Luke, but if people want to debate with them, have at it. People bitch about Karlsson not being a defenseman after he won multiple Norris trophies.

The NHL is a form of f***ing entertainment we pay for and they don’t like Erik Karlsson lol.

Speaking of that, I haven’t gone to a live game this year but just Luke’s skating live is

The 3rd pair is a bit iffy. Luke & Nemec aren’t a great answer right now either.

At the same time I’m ok with a transition period at defense.

I’m glad Fitz spent the cap space on Toffoli and on “is McLeod get suspended?” insurance.

Miller seemed like a good move when he made it, and he’s never made bad move at defense at the pro level yet, so I’m going to give him time to figure it out.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Luke’s going to do dumb things and amazing things and all of them will be discussed.

I feel like there should be a sticky about how it’s established and that basically everyone* knows he’s a stud because we don’t need “but that unreal skating, transition, offensive upside tho” when people mention he shouldn’t turn over the puck around the net.

*Yeah, I don’t care about people who want to whine about Luke, but if people want to debate with them, have at it. People bitch about Karlsson not being a defenseman after he won multiple Norris trophies.

The NHL is a form of f***ing entertainment we pay for and they don’t like Erik Karlsson lol.

Speaking of that, I haven’t gone to a live game this year but just Luke’s skating live is

The 3rd pair is a bit iffy. Luke & Nemec aren’t a great answer right now either.

I’m glad Fitz spent the cap space on Toffoli and on “is McLeod get suspended?” insurance.

Miller seemed like a good move when he made it, and he’s never made bad move at defense at the pro level yet, so I’m going to give him time to figure it out.

Karlsson is not a defenseman:)

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

I’m definitely guilty of this at times lol.

1696348971783.gif

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Yea calling out a mistakes is very hard around here with some players. We are all excited for these guys, we want them to succeed, we fully expect them to succeed, but saying "oof that was a rookie mistake" shouldn't be looked at like you have an agenda. It's a mistake in a moment in a huge body of work, nobody is compiling a list to bring to the GM to convince him to cut the guy loose.

People need to relax.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yea calling out a mistakes is very hard around here with some players. We are all excited for these guys, we want them to succeed, we fully expect them to succeed, but saying "oof that was a rookie mistake" shouldn't be looked at like you have an agenda. It's a mistake in a moment in a huge body of work, nobody is compiling a list to bring to the GM to convince him to cut the guy loose.

People need to relax.
Miller will be the guy that is on the shit list from day 1. Not playing well and he’s keeping Nemec’s spot warm. I have little doubt he’ll replace Severson nicely as the whipping boy.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

People need to relax.
Too much relaxing makes you weak

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

People need to relax.

You and I both know some posters do have agendas. It’s weird in my view but to each their own.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

People need to relax.

Some here actually believe they could be a GM. Seriously.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
You and I both know some posters do have agendas. It’s weird in my view but to each their own.
Oh of course, but everyone knows who they are so I didn't think I needed to add the exception. It's really a disgrace when it happens but it's whatever, there has been progress in getting away from it though, which is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad