Post-Game Talk: Islanders Defeat Flyers 6-1

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So, if I have this right, a coach who's team is collapsing around him, can only come up with 'sack up' in an attempt to fix what's wrong with the team. Never mind that the Flyers have the worst PK unit and defense in the league, the best he can come up with to attempt to fix things is sack up.

Never mind that the PK has been in the bottom third of the league going on five years running and never mind that the assistant in charge of coaching the defense only has two years of a 15 year career in which his defenses finished in the top 10.

So, no defense, no PK, and yet the Flyers are god awful. Something doesn't compute.

In terms of playing tight, their defense and PK indicates that they aren't playing tight. If they were, they wouldn't be as bad as they are. Instead, we see a team that's defeated and deflated and nothing changes other than the lines and who the next scape goat is by the coaching staff.

See, that's called good coaching because that absolves any sort of responsibility for what's taking place on the ice and means that someone else is to blame for things.

He refuses to accept any blame for their failures and Hextall stands by and supports that.

They are both unimaginable losers causing significant harm to this organization.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He refuses to accept any blame for their failures and Hextall stands by and supports that.

They are both unimaginable losers causing significant harm to this organization.

You're forgetting that this is the way to build a successful organization though. It's never about taking personal responsibility - it's about blaming others and self-preservation.

Hextall and Hakstol have that in spades and they're passing on those valuable life lessons to the younger players on the team.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
So if I have this right, the same coach who turned this team around to become one of the hottest teams in the league from December onward last year, despite awful goaltending, is the reason the same team (with JVR out) with the same scheme totally sucks now.

Something doesn't compute.

As far as playing "tight", afraid to make a mistake, if a team feels that way in October, what hope do they have in the playoffs when there is real pressure under any coach? A pro athlete who can't handle pressure doesn't have much of a future.
I'll stop you after your first sentence. No, no you don't have it right. You never have it right.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
@DrinkFightFlyers you're up, bro. Just don't try nicknaming anyone.
Unfortunately I do not believe there is a civil component to the new law, and if there was I don't think we'd have standing. Perhaps we could just quantify Hakstok's conduct as intentional infliction of emotional distress. Anyone thay has received any psychiatric treatment or has some kind of physical manifestation of their distress (e.g., loss of sleep, vomiting, etc.) caused by Hakstok, feel free to contact me for a free consultation.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Unfortunately I do not believe there is a civil component to the new law, and if there was I don't think we'd have standing. Perhaps we could just quantify Hakstok's conduct as intentional infliction of emotional distress. Anyone thay has received any psychiatric treatment or has some kind of physical manifestation of their distress (e.g., loss of sleep, vomiting, etc.) caused by Hakstok, feel free to contact me for a free consultation.

Those people who are season tickets, or paid full price from the official team ticket sellers, they should have some sort of standing right? Actual monetary damages or something?

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If I can sue a team for emotionally damaging me I am going to end up owning the Sabres.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So if I have this right, the same coach who turned this team around to become one of the hottest teams in the league from December onward last year, despite awful goaltending, is the reason the same team (with JVR out) with the same scheme totally sucks now.

Something doesn't compute.

As far as playing "tight", afraid to make a mistake, if a team feels that way in October, what hope do they have in the playoffs when there is real pressure under any coach? A pro athlete who can't handle pressure doesn't have much of a future.

The coach isn't the reason for the turnaround. He actually held them back.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hakstol is very much about controlling emotion which is probably effecting this guys in a negative way. Giroux has always played and responded better with it but Hakstol seems intent on keeping it under control.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Sure. You realize at some point this becomes inane, everything good is in spite of the coach, everything bad because of the coach.
If he was that bad, they would never had made the playoffs in his tenure (like Peters in Carolina), because it's been a mediocre roster. A bad coach would have them 10 points below expected performance, or about 85 points a year.
Talentwise, as we saw against the Caps and Pens, they've never been close to the top third of the league.
They've been a middle of the road team, and the average team garners 92 points a year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's funny because last year we were saying that the top offensive guys were outscoring our D, G and coaching issues. They are not doing that right now, and we see the result....even with G and Jake being PPG guys so far.

To me, it's really simple. What the ENTIRE coaching staff is doing, isn't working.

I mentioned in the GDT, our PP were trying new things for about 2 weeks last year. Guys in motion. Guys rotating. Giroux behind the net at times. Where has that gone??? Why did we stop TRYING something different?

The PK...it's self explanatory. It hasn't worked for years, and they try nothing new. Oh...except in the Caps playoff series after Mason got lit up for 5PP goals against. Then we went to an aggressive style and it WORKED. Then we started the following season and every season since then with the passive one.

Hak...is a hack. He is in over his head. He refuses to believe that his system is flawed. College coach implementing a college system. Then add on favoring lesser players over better ones and icetime decisions.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sure. You realize at some point this becomes inane, everything good is in spite of the coach, everything bad because of the coach.
If he was that bad, they would never had made the playoffs in his tenure (like Peters in Carolina), because it's been a mediocre roster. A bad coach would have them 10 points below expected performance, or about 85 points a year.
Talentwise, as we saw against the Caps and Pens, they've never been close to the top third of the league.
They've been a middle of the road team, and the average team garners 92 points a year.

The first line was brilliant. That's all there is to it. His garbage system makes it deeply unlikely for lower lines to score because it's hard to make plays from the perimeter into goals. That's why no other team tries it on purpose.

Now that the first line isn't lights out, in large part due to an injury, his system is thoroughly exposed as the sham it is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can say that for almost every team, most teams get the bulk of their scoring from their top 5 or 6 forwards, Flyers actually get more scoring from defensemen than most teams (and it's not just Ghost and Provorov, MacDonald, Gudas and Manning were all among the top third of D-men in ES scoring last year).

If there's a difference this year, it's the inability for the D-men to get shots on goal:
2018-19:
Folin 33%
Gudas 33%
Provorov 42%
Ghost 44%
MacDonald 46%
Sanheim 50%
Hagg 50%

2017-18:
MacDonald 42%
Sanheim 48%
Manning 48%
Hagg 49%
Ghost 49%
Provorov 52%
Gudas 55%

HokieDude17

Feb 8, 2016
Hampstead, MD
It's funny because last year we were saying that the top offensive guys were outscoring our D, G and coaching issues. They are not doing that right now, and we see the result....even with G and Jake being PPG guys so far.

To me, it's really simple. What the ENTIRE coaching staff is doing, isn't working.

I mentioned in the GDT, our PP were trying new things for about 2 weeks last year. Guys in motion. Guys rotating. Giroux behind the net at times. Where has that gone??? Why did we stop TRYING something different?

The PK...it's self explanatory. It hasn't worked for years, and they try nothing new. Oh...except in the Caps playoff series after Mason got lit up for 5PP goals against. Then we went to an aggressive style and it WORKED. Then we started the following season and every season since then with the passive one.

Hak...is a hack. He is in over his head. He refuses to believe that his system is flawed. College coach implementing a college system. Then add on favoring lesser players over better ones and icetime decisions.

I agree with you on all points except for having G behind the net on the PP. I don't think he's as effective there, and considering he's one of the few threats to actually shoot when he's on the half-wall it makes our PP even more predictable IMO because Jake sure as hell isn't shooting and Simmer is parked in front which means only Ghost is gonna bomb one from the point. I know we've all said it ad infinitum before but Jake not pulling the trigger from the far boards is stifling the top PP unit.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You can say that for almost every team, most teams get the bulk of their scoring from their top 5 or 6 forwards, Flyers actually get more scoring from defensemen than most teams (and it's not just Ghost and Provorov, MacDonald, Gudas and Manning were all among the top third of D-men in ES scoring last year).

If there's a difference this year, it's the inability for the D-men to get shots on goal:
2018-19:
Folin 33%
Gudas 33%
Provorov 42%
Ghost 44%
MacDonald 46%
Sanheim 50%
Hagg 50%

2017-18:
MacDonald 42%
Sanheim 48%
Manning 48%
Hagg 49%
Ghost 49%
Provorov 52%
Gudas 55%

Every other team isn't playing a system designed to beat college goalies. A system that stands no chance against NHL D and G. Did you remember to account for that? It's why we lose.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I assume people are still arguing with dead and Ghost. Don’t know why. It’s so evident that the entire coaching staff is a problem. Every indicator is there.

Team wide bad performances/regression, severely performing below expectations and on paper quality, entire team presenting as frustrated, emotionless, etc, multiple years of sample size with no positive elevation in performance (standings, PK, PP, other metrics).

You have to be delusional or trolling to not realize that they’re at least a problem, albeit arguably not the only one.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You have to be delusional or trolling to not realize that they’re at least a problem, albeit arguably not the only one.

I've never said they're not a problem, just that blaming the coaching staff for everything lets the players off the hook.
When you look at coaching changes, few players suddenly start playing better, what usually happens is the mix of players tends to change with the new coach.
And that's what I expect to happen here. Just changing coaches isn't nearly enough.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

They finished 1 point ahead of Carolina 2 years ago. One point.

And their goaltending has been even worse. That's not the coach's fault here, right?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Carolina been rebuilding for a decade, missed the playoffs 9 straight seasons.
We were in the 3rd year of a major rebuild, they should be ahead of us, instead they kept spinning their wheels.
They replaced Lavi with Maurice, Maurice with Muller, Muller with Peters, Peters with Brind'Amour.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So, if I have this right, a coach who's team is collapsing around him, can only come up with 'sack up' in an attempt to fix what's wrong with the team. Never mind that the Flyers have the worst PK unit and defense in the league, the best he can come up with to attempt to fix things is sack up.

Never mind that the PK has been in the bottom third of the league going on five years running and never mind that the assistant in charge of coaching the defense only has two years of a 15 year career in which his defenses finished in the top 10.

So, no defense, no PK, and yet the Flyers are god awful. Something doesn't compute.

In terms of playing tight, their defense and PK indicates that they aren't playing tight. If they were, they wouldn't be as bad as they are. Instead, we see a team that's defeated and deflated and nothing changes other than the lines and who the next scape goat is by the coaching staff.

See, that's called good coaching because that absolves any sort of responsibility for what's taking place on the ice and means that someone else is to blame for things.

"Do the same thing harder. GOODER."

Yeah, that's the ticket. When that's the coach's refrain he's finished. The guy is out of ideas. New ideas are desperately needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad