Post-Game Talk: Islanders def. Canucks - 6-3 (Ekman-Larsson, Pettersson, Schenn)

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I doubt he was being traded and he wasn’t going to sit for the rest of the season so there weren’t a lot of options.

I would rather burn a roster spot on sitting Halak as the third goalie than tack $1.25MM onto next year's cap that already features 2.5MM in buyouts and 3.5MM of LTIR Ferland (Ferland's cap counts towards the offseason maximum overage, has to be on the day one roster before LTIR).

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks were the better team and deserved to win this one. They probably would have had Demko started.

I cannot fathom why Dowling played over Dickinson. Dickinson is miles better.
Again, I'm surprised that Boudreau didnt pull Halak after that 3rd goal...At that point, you're running the risk of having the game go impossibly out of reach, or changing the goalie, and re-focusing the team......Boudreau chose the former.

Some of the goals that went in on Halak were just plain unlucky...but he was unlucky last night..and should have been pulled.

Reactions: Iron Mike Sharpe

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Vasily Podkolzin getting enough love from the Canuck faithful or the coaching staff right now?.....might have been his best game as a Canuck last night, even though he was held to a single assist.

This kid is becoming a serious force in the offensive zone.....almost impossible to knock off the puck and is becoming a wizard in tight spaces....maybe he's learning something from practicing and playing with Conor Garland?

So even though Podz isn't in the conversation for the Calder, it's still been a very solid and encouraging rookie season for a 20-year old kid.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
16 minutes and 19 seconds. That's what we just got for $1.25M on the cap for next year.

Probably like others on here I've been puzzling over why the Canucks went with Halak instead of Spencer Martin.

Just speculating here ...

I haven't seen the wording of the contract regarding his bonus and haven't studied the CBA regarding bonuses. Someone may well know better than I do, but I wonder if there was a logical reason to get him the bonus if, and it is a big if, they intend to trade him and he'll waive.

My understanding of performance bonuses is that they are paid out when earned. They can sometimes be deferred to the next season for cap purposes, but if I understand correctly the Canucks have to pay out that bonus now that he's earned it.

Is it possible that potential trading partners were reluctant to take on payment of the bonus but would be more interested in trading for Halak without the extra cash outlay?

Some suitor might not need to defer the bonus, or at might not need to defer all of it. Even if an acquiring team does defer the bonus, that team might be more inclined to make the deal if it doesn't have to pay the cash. Some teams might expect to have a $1.5 million cushion between this year and next in order to cover the bonus.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I haven't seen the wording of the contract regarding his bonus and haven't studied the CBA regarding bonuses. Someone may well know better than I do, but I wonder if there was a logical reason to get him the bonus if, and it is a big if, they intend to trade him and he'll waive.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was a factor in a future trade.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
well.........

Because of Halak's game last night his 2nd bonus is now off the table until he can get that save percentage back up.

Reactions: lousy

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I would rather burn a roster spot on sitting Halak as the third goalie than tack $1.25MM onto next year's cap that already features 2.5MM in buyouts and 3.5MM of LTIR Ferland (Ferland's cap counts towards the offseason maximum overage, has to be on the day one roster before LTIR).
Maybe… has it happened before?

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
It's mystifying because this player once showed vast skating improvements that allowed him to sustain an NHL career but his skating appears to be regressing right now at age 26. This is very concerning because any loss of step will really hamper his offensive game which is about the only thing he can contribute to the team.

His defensive game has always been poor going back to junior, and it's clear and evident he's simply incapable of playing any two-way game.
Great comments

I think Bo is a great person. He simply is not a leader and he is far from elite

he is at best a second or 3rd line player and not captain material

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Is Vasily Podkolzin getting enough love from the Canuck faithful or the coaching staff right now?.....might have been his best game as a Canuck last night, even though he was held to a single assist.

This kid is becoming a serious force in the offensive zone.....almost impossible to knock off the puck and is becoming a wizard in tight spaces....maybe he's learning something from practicing and playing with Conor Garland?

So even though Podz isn't in the conversation for the Calder, it's still been a very solid and encouraging rookie season for a 20-year old kid.

I like what I see from him. Seems to be learning and seems like the type that wants to learn & get better.

Will be interesting to see what he looks like 2 years from now.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Sometimes I wonder if I watch the same game as other posters. Better positioning by Halak would have stopped the first one and he possibly could have stopped the fifth one, but goals 2, 3, and 4 he never had a chance. Without bad puck luck it probably would have been 3-1 after 20. Regardless, the defence was horrible all game and NY deserved the win. Was good to see the Canucks outplay them in the second and third.

Reactions: sting101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Just a sense, and certainly not based on anything Hamonic has done this season, but I'm thinking that eventually a Hamonic-Rathbone pairing could be very good for the Canucks.
It wouldn’t surprise me to see Hamonic play 2 or 3 games,and he’s back on the sidelines again.

Its always something.

I would agree though that he’s a big upgrade on what we’ve been seeing on the 3rd pairing..Hopefully Jack gets his opportunity sooner than later.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Boudreau has probably learned his lesson in this game.....he's going to ride Demko like a rented mule the rest of the way.....Canucks are looking at a ludicrous schedule down the stretch, but even a 'fatigued' Demko is better than any of the alternatives.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'll admit Hamonic might be a better skater than Burroughs and Schenn. But how many of the same players can one team have? I almost forgot about Poolman and Juulsen, but the latter is a superior skater, so there's something to hang your hat on there. None of them want to leave Vancouver for more TOI somewhere else?

I think Schenn has the best PPG out of them all, but it probably just comes down to ice-time for these lumberjacks.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sometimes I wonder if I watch the same game as other posters. Better positioning by Halak would have stopped the first one and he possibly could have stopped the fifth one, but goals 2, 3, and 4 he never had a chance. Without bad puck luck it probably would have been 3-1 after 20. Regardless, the defence was horrible all game and NY deserved the win. Was good to see the Canucks outplay them in the second and third.
i dont think Demko or Halak would have stopped Barzals 5th goal but the 4th like the 1st could have been prevented with better positioning and an active stick.

You cant have a goalie let in 2 questionable goals but absolutely the team came out and laid an egg to start and you also can't expect for mistakes never to happen even with Demko in the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad