Post-Game Talk: Islanders def. Canucks - 6-3 (Ekman-Larsson, Pettersson, Schenn)

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Now the schedule will start to get harder, so far the Canucks have enjoyed extra rest, recovery and practice time. They have been on the good side of back to backs, now that changes.

The Islanders are 10 points behind the Canucks but have 10 games in hand, that is a team hit hard by voodoo this year and hard to read.

Someone else can put up the lineups, not sure anything will change for the Canucks from last night, nothing of significance anyway.

This should be a close game

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Halak starts, triggering a $1.25M bonus for next year. Yikes.

Boudreau also states there may be a change at forward. If he takes out Hog for Dowling I might lose it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Now the schedule will start to get harder, so far the Canucks have enjoyed extra rest, recovery and practice time. They have been on the good side of back to backs, now that changes.

The Islanders are 10 points behind the Canucks but have 10 games in hand, that is a team hit hard by voodoo this year and hard to read.

Someone else can put up the lineups, not sure anything will change for the Canucks from last night, nothing of significance anyway.

This should be a close game
They are at home on a b2b. Next best one to that is playing LA/Ana or NYR/ NYI on b2b.

Reactions: theguardianII

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Halak starts, triggering a $1.25M bonus for next year. Yikes.

Boudreau also states there may be a change at forward. If he takes out Hog for Dowling I might lose it.
But Gillis! In all honesty though, I was in favor of signing Halak, just less so after his contract details emerged.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The competition tonight is going to be a lot stiffer..Against a Barry Trotz coached team, we'll be grinding this one out to the end...Apparently, it could be a later start the 7.30. which favours the Canucks by a slim margin.

Hopefully, last nights offensive outburst gets the top 6 players going..I have a sinking feeling about this game, hopefully, they win it.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Was it Drance who said that the Canucks think they can trade Halak and his bonus hit? If so, the 10 game thing doesn't matter.

Unless they don't trade him lmao

Reactions: theguardianII

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Was it Drance who said that the Canucks think they can trade Halak and his bonus hit? If so, the 10 game thing doesn't matter.

Unless they don't trade him lmao

Which is the most likely outcome if the Canucks don't agree to keep the bonus. Which teams want to rent a player at the deadline? How many of those need a backup goalie? How many of those have cap space to throw away next year?

The only ways this plays out

A) the Canucks demand other teams take the bonus and cannot trade him and are forced to eat the bonus using 2022-23 cap hit.

B) Canucks agree eat the bonus against 2022-23 and get a pick in a trade.

C) no interest in Halak and the Canucks eat the bonus in 2022-23

D) Canucks agree to pay a 2nd/3rd to a bad team to eat the contract and bonus and get NMC'd by Halak and eat the bonus in 2022-23.

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Anybody hear the Ken Hitchcock interview on D & D this morning? Most of it was about his time as an assistant coach on three Olympic winning teams. When they asked him about Boudreau and the current Canucks, he commented that the Canucks are so good in the neutral zone, and while they're in a hole (standings-wise), they are not an easy team to play against. Other teams will really have to earn a win.

So between Boudreau and Trotz tonight, we might have a titanic neutral zone struggle, or (hopefully), the Isles really feel the time difference as the game goes on and we pounce.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Which is the most likely outcome if the Canucks don't agree to keep the bonus. Which teams want to rent a player at the deadline? How many of those need a backup goalie? How many of those have cap space to throw away next year?

The only ways this plays out

A) the Canucks demand other teams take the bonus and cannot trade him and are forced to eat the bonus using 2022-23 cap hit.

B) Canucks agree eat the bonus against 2022-23 and get a pick in a trade.

C) no interest in Halak and the Canucks eat the bonus in 2022-23

D) Canucks agree to pay a 2nd/3rd to a bad team to eat the contract and bonus and get NMC'd by Halak and eat the bonus in 2022-23.

Yup.

All of those options suck.

I'm mystified as to why we're doing this especially after how Spencer Martin played.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Drance also suggested that if the team could clear enough cap space to get out of LTI at the season’s end accounting, they could absorb the cap hit this year. Not sure how plausible that is but if they are expecting to gut the roster it could be ok.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Drance also suggested that if the team could clear enough cap space to get out of LTI at the season’s end accounting, they could absorb the cap hit this year. Not sure how plausible that is but if they are expecting to gut the roster it could be ok.

We talked about this a few weeks ago. Basically the amount of cap space they would need to clear makes Halak's bonus basically irrelevant anyway.

Reactions: m9

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yup.

I'm mystified as to why we're doing this especially after how Spencer Martin played.

Count me in on that. What a stupid bonus to give out, and then this after the Martin situation. Clear whiff on the cap management front here.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yup.

It seems like if anything they are bending over backwards to make sure Halak gets his bonus.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the broader picture of what they are doing but in isolation it's strange. They were given a gift on a silver platter when Halak went into protocol and Martin played as well as he did. To reject that gift ... I'll assume they have a bigger play in mind but we will have to see.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It seems like if anything they are bending over backwards to make sure Halak gets his bonus.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the broader picture of what they are doing but in isolation it's strange. They were given a gift on a silver platter when Halak went into protocol and Martin played as well as he did. To reject that gift ... I'll assume they have a bigger play in mind but we will have to see.

Yeah.

I feel like there must be something I'm missing here. So for now I've kinda said my bit on it and am fascinated to see what actually happens here in the end.

If Halak just finishes his season out here and we end up holding the bag on the bonus (or paying a pick to get rid of it to Arizona or something) this deserves to be heavily criticized.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I could see many teams wanting Halak at the deadline. Boston really comes to mind now that Rask has pulled the pin

Should be able to dump that bonus if they want him bad enough and have a little cushion to pay it off before seasons end. If not we have one of the better back ups down the stretch

Reactions: ChuckNorris4Cup

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I feel like there must be something I'm missing here. So for now I've kinda said my bit on it and am fascinated to see what actually happens here in the end.

I just think JR doesn't want to make his first move here to be ruthlessly screwing a vet UFA by sitting him for half a season to save a bit of cap. He's not playing badly and he's been consistently solid for years.

This is 100% on Benning, punishing Halak is just bad look. JR had just accepted the cap hit is going to suck but it's better than trying to avoid it, he'll hope for pick as some form of compensation.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I just think JR doesn't want to make his first move here to be ruthlessly screwing a vet UFA by sitting him for half a season to save a bit of cap. He's not playing badly and he's been consistently solid for years.

This is 100% on Benning, punishing Halak is just bad look. JR had just accepted the cap hit is going to suck but it's better than trying to avoid it, he'll hope for pick as some form of compensation.

Again though, pre-Spencer Martin that made some sense.

When Halak went into protocol and Martin was lights-out for 2 games, it's not a bad thing to ride the hot hand and get some games for the younger guy who actually might have a future here. Sucks for Halak but it's not really anyone being ruthless, just them's the breaks. This sort of thing happens, especially when you're an old backup on a 1 year deal. You miss a couple weeks and a younger guy takes your job. Literally happens all the time.

To send Martin down after he played as well as he did seems to serve no purpose other than to make sure that Halak gets his bonus, which seems to be going too far in the other direction.

Reactions: timw33 and MS

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Someone on Donnie and Dahli (probably Drance again) said a week ago that Halak was really well respected around the league as a professional and they didn't want to sour that relationship and make themselves look bad. With what Castonguay said about making this a place where players want to play...I can maybe understand eating the money if Halak isn't going to waive. Like, we're talking about a small percentage of the salary cap next year when this team isn't expected to be competitive, and they're going to try and move money out anyway. From their perspective, big picture, it makes more sense to restore the franchise's reputation than penny pinch, and it's not like the blame is going to be put on JR and co because it's a Benning problem.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nov 1, 2011
They still cancelling tickets that aren't STH? I hope my Leafs games tickets go through.

If you want some tix, I'll let go of some of mine at face value - mine are all being kept as a STH. Section 118.

My Leaf tix are spoken for though, needs to be other games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad