Post-Game Talk: Islanders def. Canucks - 6-3 (Ekman-Larsson, Pettersson, Schenn)

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
You think its a good idea playing a useless checking line when we need 2 goals? We have 2 days off before the next game

Even a non skating couch potato like you should be able to see that is a dumb move
For sure, I defer to you. I see you’ve got the pulse of what’s going on with the team.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah the team didn't look good in front of him, but Halak looked like pure trash tonight too. I'm not one to blame the goalie usually, but yikes.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Yeah the team didn't look good in front of him, but Halak looked like pure trash tonight too. I'm not one to blame the goalie usually, but yikes.

It was bad honestly he also was a victim of no d and some brutal bounces too that said after 3 coach should have said ok lets change this up now .

Reactions: geebaan

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Weird one. Team for two periods was terrific and was unlucky not to score a bunch more goals. But the start.......:eek:. Too bad since a number of good efforts were negated by the first period debacle.

Good

Pettersson - the most important take away from the game, and something that in spite of the loss will make Canuck fans sleep a little easier, was the effort and talent showed by this player in this game. Best game of the season in which some of his sublime skills were evident. There were hitches but the speed and high tempo was again very evident. Also very much better in seeing and reacting in traffic and making the right play. Huge step in the right direction. Having him start to fulfill the promise he showed in the past is the most crucial long term development that can happen for the team.

Podkolzin - coming alive playing with Pettersson. Working well together and just shy of putting away a number of goals in this game. Maybe compliment Boudreau for sitting him and getting his attention. Not sure Hoglander entirely compliments these two. We'll see but too bad the team doesn't have the luxury of putting Miller on the wing with this pairing. (although Miller was pretty ordinary to bad in this game)

Demko - if he starts might well get a win.

Hunt - thought he was very mobile and contributing. Like others tough start but not as bad as others. Pushed the play through the latter part of the game and created numerous chances

Garland - creates chances all the time. Tireless in his puck pursuit and makes very good plays coming out of his end. Stuck with Horvat too much.

Motte - good two way game. Makes the right play all of the time. Getting him back with Highmore is important.

Schenn - a leader in so many ways. Early on, the only one keeping inside position around his crease and willing to compete physically

Bad

OEL - there were times in the game when he stepped up and responded to measure well. But there were other times when he definitely didn't. Contributed to the mess in the early going.

Myers - ugly effort. Fighting the puck all night and lurching around and getting out of position. Seemed like the harder he tried in this game the worse it got. Had chances but little to either bury the puck or set up deflections

Horvat - pretty much useless. He's a better player than he has shown lately but those heavy feet are always going to prevent him from being an upper level player. Defensive nightmare last couple of night and offense just isn't there. An NHLer but a very average one.

Pearson - another doing little of anything. Sort of just out there

Halak - not all his fault. Canucks were victims again of the Metro conference system of back to the point and then jam the front of the net. Canucks t seem to lose inside position against such tactics and certainly did in this one. That said, Halak was not covering up enough of the bottom of the net. Too bad since trading Halak for something would be a good move. Fact the bonus kicked in is just another anchor Bozo Benning strapped the team with.

Comment by Shorthouse that the team can't afford to take one step forward and one step back is maybe the best way to describe present circumstance.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
And people ignore me when I say we should trade Bo at TDL for a pick and a blue chipper and little more
I’ve said for months and you can check my post history- I would trade Bo before Miller.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
That’s an extremely reasonable contract for Boeser. People need to take off the recency goggles and see that’s a good deal.
Do we really need that many high paid wingers? Got to make some tough decisions especially with our defence and center ice positions so weak with no cap room.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the good: pods/petey scoring again. 7 goals in 8 games since all star break.. the bad halak.. 1 bad goal others were deflection. the ugly. the defense without hughes.. man oh man. running around. missed assignments. especially myers... oel was bad too after a nice game against the yotes.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I will admit I checked out after the first. Reading some of the comments it seems they played a decent final 40. However, in a game where you gave up 5 goals in the first 20 you damn well better have some pride kick in so I’m not sure one should put much stock in the final 40.

Team has lost more games than they have won since the the 7-0 start under Boudreau I believe. They got some Loser points to be a 0.500 club in points since that time. The poorly constructed roster and lack of organizational depth under Benning is just not something you are going to get out from under with a mere coaching change.

Coaching was a huge issue but it was never the biggest issue.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This was a game where the absence of Quinn Hughes was more like a black hole. At times this team looked like the squad that got Travis Green fired, particularly in the first period.

Hughes is such a one-man breakout machine, that without him this team just gets forechecked into the ice. But looks like they'll have to survive without him for another game against the Leafs, but hopefully back for the San Jose game next week.

Reactions: geebaan

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Pettersson looked pissed off this game, like he had something to prove. Going hard to the net on that goal was the perfect play, threw a couple reverse hits, and was skating very hard and looking dangerous even without the puck. Hopefully that’s more of what’s the come.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Horvat - pretty much useless. He's a better player than he has shown lately but those heavy feet are always going to prevent him from being an upper level player. Defensive nightmare last couple of night and offense just isn't there. An NHLer but a very average one.

It's mystifying because this player once showed vast skating improvements that allowed him to sustain an NHL career but his skating appears to be regressing right now at age 26. This is very concerning because any loss of step will really hamper his offensive game which is about the only thing he can contribute to the team.

His defensive game has always been poor going back to junior, and it's clear and evident he's simply incapable of playing any two-way game.

Last edited:
Reactions: supercanuck

Feb 20, 2013
Canucks were the better team and deserved to win this one. They probably would have had Demko started.

I cannot fathom why Dowling played over Dickinson. Dickinson is miles better.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I’ve said for months and you can check my post history- I would trade Bo before Miller.
I would trade both. I. mean if you trade Bo, Miller is not going to want to stay. Well I don't think Miller wants to stay regardless.

Reactions: Dab

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
One of Garland's best games, isn't it the NYI that are interested in acquiring him according to rumours?
FLAT, even if Demko started, which would have been a really stupid coaching decision, a couple would have gone in him being tired and all.
The Islanders came out to win, got the big lead and then idled back a bit. The Nucks did have more mmfff in the 2nd period some very well timed line changes hemmed in the NYI for extended stretches, looked good too bad no goals.

Because so many put points as important, the Islanders were 10 points behind the Canucks.

The kiddies, Petey, Hog and Pod looked effective.

Miller did nothing to enhance his trade value, neither did Boeser or Horvat even though they showed up on the score sheet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad