Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 5 7pm 4/23/15

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Holtby continues his insane playoff performances. In my opinion the biggest reason why Caps are heading to Game 6 with a 3-2 series lead.

.945 SV% and 1.68 GAA in these series (against top-3 offense in the regular season).

.933 SV% and 1.98 GAA overally in his 25 playoff games.

Not to mention his performances appear to carry over into the regular season. Just ask the Bruins. If we could just get him to play and dominate every team in the league, in the playoffs...my God we would never lose. Maybe never give up a goal!

Still 2 games left in this one though.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
this series is already over if Holtby wasn't sick in game 1

Maybe, maybe not. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Our best efforts came when we were in desperation mode. If we win game 1 maybe we get overconfident and lose game 2. If we win games 1 and 2 maybe we get complacent in 3 and 4. Maybe we never hit the level of intensity we saw in game 5 without the adversity of games 1-4.

Maybe things just are the way they are.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
...countdown to blaming Presidential motorcade?

Hopefully that becomes this series "fog-bound runway" (shudder) for them.

We need to keep playing without doubt - it's very un-Caps like, but it's the chain this team has to throw off.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Maybe, maybe not. Things don't happen in a vacuum. Our best efforts came when we were in desperation mode. If we win game 1 maybe we get overconfident and lose game 2. If we win games 1 and 2 maybe we get complacent in 3 and 4. Maybe we never hit the level of intensity we saw in game 5 without the adversity of games 1-4.

Maybe things just are the way they are.
Nonsense. Only the team's best attributes carry over in hypotheticals and deficiencies are not a factor. Everyone knows that.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
damn, boys. thanks. I needed that. bring me back to earth. sorry I got carried away there. its crossed my mind that the reason they were out of sorts in g1 was they knew holtby was puking his guts out before the game.

i was happy there for a few minutes, but i feel better now.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
damn, boys. thanks. I needed that. bring me back to earth. sorry I got carried away there. its crossed my mind that the reason they were out of sorts in g1 was they knew holtby was puking his guts out before the game.

Such over think, much wow.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
CDXIH8nUMAATi_Z.jpg:large

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

You need to check your optimism at the door if you're a caps fan.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Great game. The entire team was stellar, but god damn, Kuznetsov looked exactly like he did in his best KHL games, when he knew he was the best player on the ice. That 3rd period pass to Bura was just beastly.

Apr 6, 2004
Think it's critical to win it in 6 since NYR are likely doing so in 5.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Great game. The entire team was stellar, but god damn, Kuznetsov looked exactly like he did in his best KHL games, when he knew he was the best player on the ice. That 3rd period pass to Bura was just beastly.

Too bad Bura shanked it.

My favorite thing Kuz did last night was the self pass rebound off the board. Just so sweet.

camper*

Isles fan here:nod:.....Both sides laying out the beef....good on them no quitters.....anyone sore just watching these hits:laugh:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

Yeah, they really came out blazing in the games before last night too. I bet it was carryover from Holtby being sick before Game 1.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
let them target the players. We'll target the goal.

I fully expect a 5-1 thrashing by the Caps while the Islanders run around with salty tears in their eyes.

Well this turned out to be prophetic.

I'm shocked at how useless Anders Lee has been this series.

I couldn't agree more. He terrorized the Caps during the regular season just by being a big net presence.

Confident, Kuznetsov seems. I think he's got another in him today.

This one turned out to be prophetic as well.

Nick not in the Selke is an atrocity of the highest order.

Oh come on, he's not even an All-Star.

Brouwer looked like a man possessed at times. At one point I saw him skating opposite the direction of the puck to go finish off a Dman/engage. Embracing his role in a more natural position for him.

Everyone is embracing their role. It's weird. Laich is crushing dudes.

It's bizarre. Just didn't expect a team so close to have so few traveling fans. The guy in front of me was a good sport. After the 5th goal he took his jersey off and started yelling, "Let's go Mets!"

:laugh:

I was thinking last night I don't remember the last time I've seen them step up that big in a playoff game that important.

I also tried to recount the last time I was really emotionally invested in their playoff performance and the Boston series under Hunter is close, but I knew they were overachieving. I expected collapses most other years, but was probably most disappointed in 2009 with the loss to the Penguins.

Bottom line is this is the first time in 6 years I've had the impression that this is a team that can and SHOULD go far IF they can get their mental game together.

Yeah, it was weird to see them play an important playoff game at home and look fully in control despite giving up the early lead and poor officiating.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Holtby continues his insane playoff performances. In my opinion the biggest reason why Caps are heading to Game 6 with a 3-2 series lead.

.945 SV% and 1.68 GAA in these series (against top-3 offense in the regular season).

.933 SV% and 1.98 GAA overally in his 25 playoff games.

No one chimed in on what I saw last night, was him shutting the door early with a lot of critical saves on high quality shots. Sure we gave up the one goal, but they had lots of shots in the slot that he stopped. He bought us time for our glorious secondary scoring to come to the rescue.

A few bad goals, we would all be out on the ledge. And perhaps the team, and season as well.

Someone hook me up with the chart showing shots he faced by location.

The googles do nothing.

original.jpg

Last edited:

Apr 6, 2004
No one chimed in on what I saw last night, was him shutting the door early with a lot of critical saves on high quality shots. Sure we gave up the one goal, but they had lots of shots in the slot that he stopped. He bought us time for our glorious secondary scoring to come to rescue.

A few bad goals, we would all be out on the ledge. And perhaps the team, and season as well.

The googles do nothing.

original.jpg

I thought he gave up a few too many juicy rebounds but generally speaking was solid. As long as they're directed to the corners it can be managed.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
No one chimed in on what I saw last night, was him shutting the door early with a lot of critical saves on high quality shots. Sure we gave up the one goal, but they had lots of shots in the slot that he stopped. He bought us time for our glorious secondary scoring to come to rescue.

The googles do nothing.

original.jpg
Awesome Simpsons pull.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I thought he gave up a few too many juicy rebounds but generally speaking was solid. As long as they're directed to the corners it can be managed.

I think on those HQ shots I saw, rebounds were excusable. The guy coming down his wing with a run of the mill slapper, yeah he cant pillow that over to the opposite side winger.

Tavares in the slot unchecked, I counted my blessing on the initial save. I don't doubt he had juicyrebs but it worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad