Post-Game Talk: Islanders @ Capitals Game 5 7pm 4/23/15

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
2cftchl.gif

This should be included in the next GDT. Somebody make your homework plz!

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Often with young skill players, you'll see flashes of brilliance. With Kuz, for the last 20 games or so, you've seen him control control the pace of play. Very rare ability to do that at his experience level.

And I have to emphasize again, this is at a position he's never played before at any high level.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Often with young skill players, you'll see flashes of brilliance. With Kuz, for the last 20 games or so, you've seen him control control the pace of play. Very rare ability to do that at his experience level.

And I have to emphasize again, this is at a position he's never played before at any high level.

This is exactly why I said we needed to roll with him as 2C when everyone was clamoring for an acquisition at the TDL. He has all world talent and just needed some experience.

Finish these ****ers in 6 on a 3 game winning streak, shut down that dump, and get ready to upset the other half of NY.

As far as Isles fans, I sat behind one tonight. Solid dude. Not all of them are terrible. Truthfully, I was shocked at how few there were last night. I saw maybe 12-15, tops. It was 99.9% red in the Phone Booth last night.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
This is exactly why I said we needed to roll with him as 2C when everyone was clamoring for an acquisition at the TDL. He has all world talent and just needed some experience.

Finish these ****ers in 6 on a 3 game winning streak, shut down that dump, and get ready to upset the other half of NY.

As far as Isles fans, I sat behind one tonight. Solid dude. Not all of them are terrible. Truthfully, I was shocked at how few there were last night. I saw maybe 12-15, tops. It was 99.9% red in the Phone Booth last night.

Sent the wife to the game last night (as only one of us can go without a babysitter), but yeah, I noticed the same thing re: Isles fans the last home game. Probably the smallest swath of visiting fans I've seen at VC outside of West Coast teams.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sent the wife to the game last night (as only one of us can go without a babysitter), but yeah, I noticed the same thing re: Isles fans the last home game. Probably the smallest swath of visiting fans I've seen at VC outside of West Coast teams.

It's bizarre. Just didn't expect a team so close to have so few traveling fans. The guy in front of me was a good sport. After the 5th goal he took his jersey off and started yelling, "Let's go Mets!"

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I would really for love any travelling Caps fans to start doing the "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!..." thing in Nassau if we eliminate them on Saturday.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We destroyed the Isles without the help of Ovi or Backstrom this time. Just imagine what would've happen if Ovi went full beast mode yesterday.

Oh well, I expect Ovi to finish them off next game. Let's go Caps !

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada

Best part about Kuz is that he isn't a defensive liability, his +/- all year has been solid. He isn't the strong on the puck and he is young, but I really am impressed with how well he has done this year. In the past, I would be nervous with the Caps bringing in young rookies. But Kuz has had a great year even though it had a slow start and hopefully more solid years to come. I'd be happy with him getting point production below or similar to Backstrom, if it meant his play on the other side of the puck was strong. We need more guys like that up front.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Best part about Kuz is that he isn't a defensive liability, his +/- all year has been solid. He isn't the strong on the puck and he is young, but I really am impressed with how well he has done this year. In the past, I would be nervous with the Caps bringing in young rookies. But Kuz has had a great year even though it had a slow start and hopefully more solid years to come. I'd be happy with him getting point production below or similar to Backstrom, if it meant his play on the other side of the puck was strong. We need more guys like that up front.

+/- is BS. I trust my eye test to assess the quality of a player defensively. Kuznetsov has good awareness defensively, he steals a lot of pucks with his active stick on the ice. In game 4 in OT, he stripped an Isles Dman of the puck in their own zone and nearly scored.
Burakovsky hasn't shown the same level of maturity as Kuzma, but he's only 20 years old.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
That game pretty much speaks for itself - it was a beauty. They played with more confidence and initiative than they'd shown the entire series all through the lineup - and were completely unfazed by that first goal. As mentally strong a playoff game as we've seen in a long time.

And we're 2-0 when I'm drinking the Full Sail Pilsener

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Ovie impact was evident late in the game when Boychuk was skating like Hal Gill.

Was going to say this, basically. Ovie was a tornado early in the game and the Isles were forced to deal with him. His actions helped open up the opportunities for everyone else, and the Isles have had to gameplan for him all series. It's a cumulative effect. Another great example of why points and stats in general often don't tell the whole story.

OVs Gold Chain*

Today I am most thankful for:

-islander fan tears, as they take the walk of shame back from the moral high road
-Tom Wilson
-Friday

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am sure I am not the only one that saw Holtby have to make quite a few saves against quality shots, from Tavares and friends, in the first half of the game.

Can someone help me find the shot tracker?

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/icetracker?id=2014030145

This game could have easily gone the other way, if Holts wasn't on his game. Nothing new for goalies though, the hardest job in hockey.

I am thinking NY would be well served to open up and and try and get us to play a wide open game. The foot is on their neck and they have to do everything they can to get us to back off their floundering defense.

The Bruce way to do that, is to attack. Cherry pick - full aerial assault. And I would not hesitate for a moment to use Neuvy. Haunt the former team thing. At minimum yank Hahalak if he gives us a soft serve early on Saturday.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That game pretty much speaks for itself - it was a beauty. They played with more confidence and initiative than they'd shown the entire series all through the lineup - and were completely unfazed by that first goal. As mentally strong a playoff game as we've seen in a long time.

I was thinking last night I don't remember the last time I've seen them step up that big in a playoff game that important.

I also tried to recount the last time I was really emotionally invested in their playoff performance and the Boston series under Hunter is close, but I knew they were overachieving. I expected collapses most other years, but was probably most disappointed in 2009 with the loss to the Penguins.

Bottom line is this is the first time in 6 years I've had the impression that this is a team that can and SHOULD go far IF they can get their mental game together.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

The game was all about Wilsonifying aka breaking their defense. Literally, and figuratively. Exactly as I wanted to happen, and have wanted to happen every playoffs since I learned long ago Bryan Murray would target that offside offensive D with all his guns. And instead, have largely watched it happen to Mike Green only.

Finnishing their D may end up being the story line of the series, if we can win 1 of 2.

Full Sail huh? I ran out of Yuenglings. But I am 2-0 with my mistake filled sophomoric embarrassing clunky lengthy wrong logo anti-minimalist mains GDTs, and sporting my give away Red Verizon 1st Caps 2nd TShirt. Which is not in the laundry basket. Mike Green was in the wash after a loss in game 1.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Finally, amin723, you called it! :handclap:

I accept this award for correctly predicting the final score of the Phone Booth Massacre, with the same grace, class, and nobility with which the Islanders play the game of hockey. I can only hope that my and my favorite team's future actions will show the same respect for the game and my opponents as the entire Islander Organization and its fans, and even its former players have shown the Capitals and their fans this series.

I'd like to thank those who made it possible, namely Tom Wilson, Brooks Laich, Holtby, and last but not least Kuznetzov. For you my fine Russian friend I will bring a koozy to every Caps game I attend and throw it on the ice when you get a hat trick.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
+/- is BS. I trust my eye test to assess the quality of a player defensively. Kuznetsov has good awareness defensively, he steals a lot of pucks with his active stick on the ice. In game 4 in OT, he stripped an Isles Dman of the puck in their own zone and nearly scored.
Burakovsky hasn't shown the same level of maturity as Kuzma, but he's only 20 years old.

I know +/- is BS for the most part. But for rookies, I put a little more value onto it. Younger guys are adapting to the play in the NHL and teams try to match their star players against weaker lines or less experienced players. All season I've watched him and have seen the same thing, strong defensive play.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Holtby continues his insane playoff performances. In my opinion the biggest reason why Caps are heading to Game 6 with a 3-2 series lead.

.945 SV% and 1.68 GAA in these series (against top-3 offense in the regular season).

.933 SV% and 1.98 GAA overally in his 25 playoff games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad