GDT: Islanders @ Capitals - 11/5/13 - Nielsen > Tavares

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
How many fights has Eric Fehr gotten into in his career? How many has Brouwer? I don't see a disparity in scrummage. Think you need your eyes checked out.

They both get into scrums but sheet gets real with Brouwer. Fehr? Not so much.

Also find me a year where Brouwer wasn't in the top 20 league hit leaders. Show me ONE season where Fehr was in the top 10 hit leaders on HIS TEAM.

No sane person can argue that Fehr>Brouwer in the Physical aspects of the game (hits, fights, scrums etc) 268 PIMS to 104PIMS
Who exactly are you arguing with here? I never said Fehr was more physical than Brouwer.

Fehr has had serious shoulder problems. I don't think anyone wants to see him fighting. The risk far outweighs the regard.

Did you come up with those fight numbers yet?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The ones that have an actual impact on the game though, like forechecking, significantly favor Fehr.

Except it appears in the eyes of EVERY NHL team and coach Fehr has played for.

You guys want to make Fehr out as much more of a player than he is simply to help you crap on Brouwer. It's disingenuous and transparent.

Basically, if you lose the production per game argument, fall back to the production per minute argument. So painfully transparent and feeble.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

You guys want to make Fehr out as much more of a player than he is simply to help you crap on Brouwer. It's disingenuous and transparent.

Basically, if you lose the production per game argument, fall back to the production per minute argument. So painfully transparent and feeble.

Fehr has had one healthy NHL season during which he looked like the player he should have been. He scored HUGE goals, forechecked very effectively, and was the best +/- player on the roster.

Fehr, despite his age, still has upside. Brouwer is Brouwer. Not giving Fehr a chance is a mistake.

Liberati0n*

:laugh:

Games and minutes are both measures of time. ;)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Fehr has had one healthy NHL season during which he looked like the player he should have been. He scored HUGE goals, forechecked very effectively, and was the best +/- player on the roster.

Fehr, despite his age, still has upside. Brouwer is Brouwer. Not giving Fehr a chance is a mistake.

Not giving him a chance??!?!?! The Caps have given him 2 chances by my books and Fehr couldn't even solidify a better lineup spot in friggen Winnipeg! That's 3 legit chances by my count. What are you suggesting that he be gifted the 2RW spot based upon some decent forchecking and a some ok goal scoring?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Wait...Fehr and Brouwer are about the same age right?

Brouwer is coming off a strong season as well but he doesn't have "upside" while Fehr still does?

Brouwer scored twice as many goals as Fehr last year and was 1st or 2nd on the team in hits.

I'm not buying this argument. Both are good players. Brouwer is better since he produces more and brings a more punishing game to a lineup that is trying to be "harder to play against".

We are stacked at RW and Fehr is a victim of the numbers game. Simple as that.

He has to work hard in practice and be ready to be called upon in the event of injury.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
So my wife goes with a girlfriend of hers to the game last night and look what she gave me this morning for a gift:

2dllljb.jpg

My 1st bobblehead, to bad it doesn't look like Troy Brouwer. :laugh:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Channel Capital One Cup sanctioned too.

Yes the quality is striking. The stick was loose so I figured that is where it was suppose to go. Regardless, it was free...

Also, just like when I got a mini Skins helmet signed by Rocky Macintosh, maybe after getting the Brouwer bobblehead he will be traded off the Caps.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Picked a good game to attend for my first of the season. Agree, crowds were sparse towards the end ot the game and after Caps putting up 5 in the 2nd, crowd seemed to be out of it for the third.

Backstrom is just poetry in motion when on the ice with the puck, very smooth.

Didn't see anyone mention Holtby's performance last night, but I thought he was solid.

The only Cap that I thought had a rought night was Nate Schmidt.

Last but not the least, WILSONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:handclap:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Picked a good game to attend for my first of the season. Agree, crowds were sparse towards the end ot the game and after Caps putting up 5 in the 2nd, crowd seemed to be out of it for the third.

Backstrom is just poetry in motion when on the ice with the puck, very smooth.

Didn't see anyone mention Holtby's performance last night, but I thought he was solid.

The only Cap that I thought had a rought night was Nate Schmidt.

Last but not the least, WILSONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:handclap:
What did you think of Mojo's play?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
What did you think of Mojo's play?

Don't poke this bear!:laugh:

Joking aside, I was stunned by the hit he put on one of the Islanders behind the goal. Very uncharacteristic of him, let's hope its a sign of his game becoming more well rounded. Hey not a shame of eating crow, have done so in the past and I'm sure there's a few meals of it ahead as well.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Don't poke this bear!:laugh:

Joking aside, I was stunned by the hit he put on one of the Islanders behind the goal. Very uncharacteristic of him, let's hope its a sign of his game becoming more well rounded. Hey not a shame of eating crow, have done so in the past and I'm sure there's a few meals of it ahead as well.
Couldn't resist. :laugh:

I was starting to get a little down on him as well, but still felt he had it in him to take the next step. Hopefully he's starting to put it all together.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Schmidt will get his game together once he settles in. I can see Alzner type of plays coming out him already. All he needs to do is pick up some speed and not be nervous to play the puck. We're still a mediocre team with him in the lineup though.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Schmidt may well run out of adrenaline soon. I am surprised Orlov keeps getting recalled but not getting a game jersey.

To be honest, I want to see Orlov. I keep hearing good reports, and.... then he is scratched.

Its not like Schmidt has been dominating to warrant uncontested time at 1LD.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Schmidt may well run out of adrenaline soon. I am surprised Orlov keeps getting recalled but not getting a game jersey.

To be honest, I want to see Orlov. I keep hearing good reports, and.... then he is scratched.

Its not like Schmidt has been dominating to warrant uncontested time at 1LD.

Maybe Oates has a problem with Russians.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
The biggest issue I think Fehr has is that he doesn't go to the media and say the great leader lines like Laich and Brouwer who seem to quietly disappear every playoffs. Apparently talk gets you a spot on this team and not actual play.

With that said, Laich has looked better than Brouwer this season at even strength. I would put Brouwer as the worst even strength forward so far this season. His play with the puck has been atrocious.

I haven't been a fan of Fehr this season either but he was forced into the center role which he should have never been. He looked much more effective at wing this season in the few games he was put into his natural position compared to Brouwer.

I personally cannot stand players that talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Having to hear these two every year in the playoffs and then disappear is frustrating to say the least.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

So you're on record that Brouwer will never surpass his single season highs of 22g/40 pts? Fehr has unrealized potential, not upside. Both have the potential to put up more production IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The biggest issue I think Fehr has is that he doesn't go to the media and say the great leader lines like Laich and Brouwer who seem to quietly disappear every playoffs. Apparently talk gets you a spot on this team and not actual play.

With that said, Laich has looked better than Brouwer this season at even strength. I would put Brouwer as the worst even strength forward so far this season. His play with the puck has been atrocious.

I haven't been a fan of Fehr this season either but he was forced into the center role which he should have never been. He looked much more effective at wing this season in the few games he was put into his natural position compared to Brouwer.

I personally cannot stand players that talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Having to hear these two every year in the playoffs and then disappear is frustrating to say the least.

I'm more frustrated by the STARS disappearing than I am about anyone talking quite honestly.

That said, Brouwer is doing all he can to support his detractors right now. Also backs up my notion that he wouldn't have returned the kings ransom some said he would in a trade....

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
So my wife goes with a girlfriend of hers to the game last night and look what she gave me this morning for a gift:

2dllljb.jpg

My 1st bobblehead, to bad it doesn't look like Troy Brouwer. :laugh:

either you have andre the giant sized hands, or thats the smallest bobblehead giveaway ive ever seen.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
So you're on record that Brouwer will never surpass his single season highs of 22g/40 pts? Fehr has unrealized potential, not upside. Both have the potential to put up more production IMO.

I am on record that yes, that is my opinion of Brouwer. But I believe, given the same ice time and opportunity, Fehr could match and very possibly exceed 20's production.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am on record that yes, that is my opinion of Brouwer. But I believe, given the same ice time and opportunity, Fehr could match and very possibly exceed 20's production.

Not so sure. A "goal scorers" production tends to peak at 24 or 25. Pretty much what you see is what you get at this point.

Fehr has had one season where he surpassed 12 goals and he is 28 years old.

Brouwer has scored at least 17 in each of the last 5 years and the year before he had 10 as a rookie. Brouwer is 28 as well.

Both played well last year but I think that level of play for each of them is as good as we can possibly expect at this point.

Trends and history are not on your side in this instance. It does suck that we don't have room for Fehr in the lineup. When he has played wing he has looked good.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Not so sure. A "goal scorers" production tends to peak at 24 or 25. Pretty much what you see is what you get at this point.

Fehr has had one season where he surpassed 12 goals and he is 28 years old.

Brouwer has scored at least 17 in each of the last 5 years and the year before he had 10 as a rookie. Brouwer is 28 as well.

Both played well last year but I think that level of play for each of them is as good as we can possibly expect at this point.

Trends and history are not on your side in this instance. It does suck that we don't have room for Fehr in the lineup. When he has played wing he has looked good.
Most "goal scorers" are given top 6 linemates and minutes and have 2 healthy shoulders. Fehr has rarely had more than 1 of those at a time in his history with the Caps.

Fehr was a 21 goal scorer playing 12:00 per game (10th for regular forwards) in '09-'10. It's not like he doesn't have the ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad