Islanders bold predictions

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Playoffs. Coaching will improve the defense, new players will improve the PK. Still a tremendous amount of talent that's underappreciated including those pending UFA's everyone wants to trade away.

That's my team bold.

anyway, for individuals I'll show Ladd some love. 23 goals, 24 assists.

Pulock with 44+ points. I think that's bold no? 16 goals at least too.

Barzal 93 points in 82 games. Boom.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
"Bold" predictions:

- Johnny Boychuk won't play half the season.
- Ryan Pulock will start slow, miss 10-15 games with an injury, and recover to score 15 goals as the season expires in tedium.
- Anthony Beauvillier will be the team's only 30 goal scorer, as Anders scores only 20-25.
- Toews doesn't make the team out of camp, but ends up playing 60+ games and acquitting himself well.
- Scott Mayfield will eventually find himself waived, and in the AHL.
- Barzal continues to delight, scoring 80+ points and making massive improvements on faceoffs and defensive play.
- Greiss ends up solidifying the 1A position and stitches together a decent year. Lehner struggles with injuries and personal frustration.
- Jan Kovar scores around 30 points and is adequate as a short term replacement on a team that's going nowhere.
- Both Eberle and Lee are traded at the deadline.

I can't predict Josh Ho-Sang.

Who's playing RD next year? Pulock, Pelech, and Toews/Aho? Rathgeb?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm going to say one of the goalies gets injured early on (likely Lehner) and Chris Gibson comes up and becomes the club's best goaltender (not that that would be saying much, but still). I get Nabokov vibes from him.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
- We make a WC spot
- Barzal goes over 80 again
- Beauvillier goes 25+25 on his wing
- Ladd is a healthy scratch for numerous games
- Lehner does surprisingly adequate as the starter
- Boychuk plays < 60 games
- Pelech takes a step forward and becomes a decent #4
- Toews plays <40 games and is decent but not overly impressive

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
- We make a WC spot
- Barzal goes over 80 again
- Beauvillier goes 25+25 on his wing
- Ladd is a healthy scratch for numerous games
- Lehner does surprisingly adequate as the starter
- Boychuk plays < 60 games
- Pelech takes a step forward and becomes a decent #4
- Toews plays <40 games and is decent but not overly impressive

I don't want to pick a fight, but how many of these predictions would classify as "bold"?

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I don't want to pick a fight, but how many of these predictions would classify as "bold"?
Fair point, I'd say the Isles making the playoffs is bold, also the Pelech one and the Ladd one. The others might be slightly unpopular opinions but probably shouldn't be classified as bold.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Fair point, I'd say the Isles making the playoffs is bold, also the Pelech one and the Ladd one. The others might be slightly unpopular opinions but probably shouldn't be classified as bold.

I agree about the playoffs. I don't see them being in it past January, and that's being generous.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
I'm going to say one of the goalies gets injured early on (likely Lehner) and Chris Gibson comes up and becomes the club's best goaltender (not that that would be saying much, but still). I get Nabokov vibes from him.
Gibson super slow with the glove hand?

Reactions: LordNeverLose

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

Saying the right things.

Why do I get the feeling that while Tavares will be a loss on the ice, the captaincy/leadership thing will actually be a net gain with him gone? And that's not even counting having Trotz as coach which is, you know, big.

I'm going to re-post this in the "All Things" thread so as not to pollute this thread.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why do I get the feeling that while Tavares will be a loss on the ice, the captaincy/leadership thing will actually be a net gain with him gone? And that's not even counting having Trotz as coach which is, you know, big.

I'm going to re-post this in the "All Things" thread so as not to pollute this thread.

I don't know. All I know of Tavares from afar before watching more Isles games last year was he was never a problem character wise. I never got the impression he was on the Mark Messier level of leadership. Never said much, never seemed to take the team by it's horn and will it into the playoffs. I always kept hearing the narrative he had nothing on the Island to work with narrative that I am reading now. Like he is suddenly going to turn into a 100 pt player now that he is on the Leafs. I am starting to believe this is an exaggeration. But we will see next year, if he suddenly becomes better than he was on the Island. I think some are in for a rude surprise when they see Tavares go through his hot and cold streaks. One thing he will not get away with in Toronto, is 1 mins shifts.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

The Thomas Greiss win to loss record will be exactly the same as the Andrew Ladd goal to assist total. My guess is 8 wins/goals to
18 losses/ assists.

Clutterbuck will be traded before the first game

Dal Colle makes the club and scores 11 goals next season.

JHS is a perfect pro , plays 60 games and puts up 12-35- 47

My wife will cook something edible

Butchies teeth somehow get whiter

Lehner wins 25 games.

Bailey 11 - 30 - 41

Barzal wins back to back rookie of the year awards to be 2 up on JT ( ha ha )

Leddy makes the All Star team

Isles again lead the league in goals against ( not so bold )

Johnston plays more games than Martin

33 - 39 - 10 - 76 points

That's enough

Reactions: Sheva7 and seafoam

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada

I think guys with leadership traits like boychuk and ladd who came in from another organization perhaps felt like it wasnt their place to speak up in the dressing room since it was JT's team .

only bold prediction I have is we'll win more faceoffs this year with kovar / filppula

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Dal Colle makes the club and scores 11 goals next season.

There's a difference between bold and just plain crazy.

Isles again lead the league in goals against ( not so bold )

Actually, I'd be SHOCKED if this took place.

Alone the additions of Trotz, Filppula, and Komarov should ensure that this doesn't take place.

I think the team will play in a manner that keeps those goals against down. If the team actually manages to get 3 to 4 goals, that should be enough to win.

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
Teams will hate, absolutely hate, playing the Isles. Their games will be extraordinarily physical; guys will pay a big, big price for any space on the ice.

The GA will drop by 50. The GF will drop as well, but not as drastically as feared.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Bottom 10 Standings in order...

Montreal
Detroit
Ottawa
Buffalo
Vancouver
Rangers
Islanders 74 points
Arizona
Calgary
Dallas

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
2/28/19 vs TOR is the last Islanders game ever played at the Barclays Center.

Fitting, "the house that John hated."
I am hoping fans turn their backs on him but realistically don't expect it to happen. However, since the game is in BK in at least 2 sections fans will kind of have their backs turned to the ice....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad