Islanders are 9-0 in OT/SO

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't care about that...

Lets see the Islanders replicate that in a 7 game series. :laugh:

I don't think there is one team in the NHL presently that can beat the Hawks in a 7 game series - certainly not an eastern conference team.

If it matters tho - 2 years ago I said the Islanders were going to be a powerhouse "in a few years."

The LA Kings.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I look at it this way with the OT. It's great they are racking up points now with it because it shows that other teams just can't put them away. There is something to be said for that.

In the playoffs we'll just have to wait and see. It's a different kind of beast compared to anything in the regular season.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Anyone that goes into OT with them should just pull their goalie at the first offensive zone faceoff in OT.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Isles defensive depth is only decent? I think it is so good that it negates the fact that they don't have a typical number one dman

I also think of last year as a fluke and this is right where a rebuilding team should be a season separated from their first playoff birth with the new core

The only teams in the Eastern Conference that have allowed more goals than the Islanders are Buffalo, New Jersey, and Columbus. How Islanders' fans think they have a good defensive team is mystifying, let alone one with "so good" depth. Perspective, people.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Isles defensive depth is only decent? I think it is so good that it negates the fact that they don't have a typical number one dman

I also think of last year as a fluke and this is right where a rebuilding team should be a season separated from their first playoff birth with the new core

on defense, they have SIX #3s

It's working. Very well.

Reinhart and Donovan have been serviceable with injuries, big drop off though. Strait has struggled.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
The only teams in the Eastern Conference that have allowed more goals than the Islanders are Buffalo, New jersey, and Columbus. How Islanders' fans think they have a good defensive team is mystifying.

Playing without their top two best defensive dmen at this point. But, your point stands. Still need to tighten up that D zone as the season goes on.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Playing without their top two best defensive dmen at this point. But, your point stands. Still need to tighten up that D zone as the season goes on.

Sure, but the post was lauding the Islanders' defensive depth, so an injury or two shouldn't be THAT devastating if they have such good depth. Boston and Pittsburgh have lost most of their top D at various points this season and haven't faltered in the GAA to the extent the Isles have. It's a good team, but you're not making a run in the playoffs if you're 23rd in GAA.

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
Sure, but the post was lauding the Islanders' defensive depth, so an injury or two shouldn't be THAT devastating if they have such good depth. Boston and Pittsburgh have lost most of their top D at various points this season and haven't faltered in the GAA to the extent the Isles have. It's a good team, but you're not making a run in the playoffs if you're 23rd in GAA.

Agreed. Strait absolutely kills the D. he is awful Other than him the depth is pretty good. Better than most years that's for sure. A LOT of those goals against are on the PK which is putrid.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
The only teams in the Eastern Conference that have allowed more goals than the Islanders are Buffalo, New Jersey, and Columbus. How Islanders' fans think they have a good defensive team is mystifying, let alone one with "so good" depth. Perspective, people.

I noticed that stat yesterday. It's crazy to think that a team who is in the bottom third of of the league in terms of GA is 21-10-0. But it also helps when you have scored the 3rd most goals in the league.
Here is one factor most aren't seeing and are pseudo skewing the GA stat. The isles have a backup who can't stop a beach ball. Johnson has given up 34 goals in 10 games played. If he was even league average (in this calculation that would be a GAA 2.53), that would be 10 less GA, bringing them down to 79, boosting them to the TOP 3rd of the league. They are also missing their 2 best defensemen in Hamonic and Boychuk
One thing that is really killing their GA is their inept PK. That has been a problem for years. Their PK system just does not work, it's FAR too passive

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

That's all on Chad Johnson. He's been downright heinous. That's the one negative on this team. Think 37 our of the 89 are on him and he's started 10 out of the 31 games.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

It's been a few games with 6 and 5 goals against but for the most part they have been good. It seems every time Johnson starts he's good for. 4+ goals against. Halak gave up 6 goals and 5 goals in 2 starts against STL. Besides that all other games have been really good.

Yes every team has injury problems but if Boychuk and Hammer are healthy that Likely does not happen.

And you can not put a value on Strait NOT playing. This guy is on for almost all goals against when he plays.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
That's all on Chad Johnson. He's been downright heinous. That's the one negative on this team. Think 37 our of the 89 are on him and he's started 10 out of the 31 games.

Bingo, as I stated above, a league average GAA (with my math was 2.53) would drop the total GA by 10 goals, giving them 79 GA, which puts them in a 3 way tie I believe for 10th. And he's allowed 34 goals in 10 games

It's on the PK as well which has been atrocious.

Agreed, complete disaster. Every time they take a penalty I just assume it's going to wind up in the net. Isles were lucky as hell that stupid Tavares penalty with less than 2 minutes to go didn't bite them in the ass

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I think a lot of these overtime wins came as a result of the Islanders being able to overcome 1 goal deficits to force overtime in close games. If anything it's a testament to their resilience this year. Remember there was 60 minutes of hockey prior to the overtime wins. I'm pretty sure the Islanders played impressive hockey during regulation time as well- all you would have to do is watch them. Now as for their last 5 games or so- pretty meh, but still winning nonetheless. They need Boychuk and Hamonic back to bring their overall level up again.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I'm getting sick of hearing about the Islanders.

Yes they have a good team but every single stat or win doesn't need it's own thread.

When they do something amazing like win 10 in a row or beat a team 11-3 then post a thread.

It was started by a Pittsburgh fan.
:facepalm:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I noticed that stat yesterday. It's crazy to think that a team who is in the bottom third of of the league in terms of GA is 21-10-0. But it also helps when you have scored the 3rd most goals in the league.
Here is one factor most aren't seeing and are pseudo skewing the GA stat. The isles have a backup who can't stop a beach ball. Johnson has given up 34 goals in 10 games played. If he was even league average (in this calculation that would be a GAA 2.53), that would be 10 less GA, bringing them down to 79, boosting them to the TOP 3rd of the league. They are also missing their 2 best defensemen in Hamonic and Boychuk
One thing that is really killing their GA is their inept PK. That has been a problem for years. Their PK system just does not work, it's FAR too passive

Assuming that a backup goalie will put up a league average GAA is a bit optimistic.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Last time I've read a thread like "no 4on4 no SO in the playoffs, this team is screwed" it was in 2012 and the Devils made the SCF.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
I'm getting sick of hearing about the Islanders.

Yes they have a good team but every single stat or win doesn't need it's own thread.

When they do something amazing like win 10 in a row or beat a team 11-3 then post a thread.

Okay how's this for a title: "Isles first team in NHL history to win first 9 games that go past regulation time" Better? I'd say that's an accomplishment.

I don't know about examples, but we've been through this re NYI's shootout success. It's not a fluke. They can run out two shooters who are better than anyone the opposition can put out (Nielsen, Okposo). Then they've got a whole slew of shooters that are pretty good with Tavares, Bailey, Nelson, Strome, etc. Add a top-5 shootout goalie, and they're just the best in the league at the shootout. It's unlikely they go undefeated in the shootout. Still, they should still win the majority the rest of the way.

Let's be clear about this: points notwithstanding, the conference looks like this.

1. Pittsburgh
2. Tampa Bay
3. The Mess:
Detroit, NYI, Montreal, Toronto, New York Rangers, Washington Capitals
9. The underperforming Boston Bruins
10-15. Teams with major deficiencies unlikely to challege for a playoff spot.

I don't think there's much difference between teams with 40ish points and teams like the Rangers and Capitals who are a little down. I expect that to even out a bit as the season goes on.

As a NYI fan, I feel like it is unrealistic to think that the team has overnight improved from a bottom-feeder to a team expected to win multiple rounds in the playoffs. Despite the fact that goaltending is VASTLY improved (I hope for Tampa's sake that Bishop is not out for long if he's gone for long, they're in The Mess too) + the forward depth is excellent, NYI have no legitimate #1 Defender or top pairing (despite decent defensive depth).

The goal this year was playoffs. It's looking good. It'll look better with first round home ice + a matchup against another team in The Mess.

I'd like to know what you're basing this ranking off of. I mean, looking at it, I'd assume you're just going based off of pure team talent. But if that's the case I'd still say there's more of a divide. And either way, I'd still say at the current moment, with the way the team has been playing, the Isles should be lump up with TB and Pitts, who should also be lumped together as well. The Isles have been playing much more with the upper echelon in the conference than in the second level with "The Mess". Just my personal thoughts.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Also the isles have 15 ROW which is still 2nd in the division behind PIT. Anyone who thinks this team is a fluke because they have 6 shoutout wins is just reaching for negatives. That means they also have not allowed a goal in 9 OTs that's also impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad