Islanders are 9-0 in OT/SO

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
That´s really amazing. Maybe they have a shot at some history here? (Some examples?!)

On the negative note, there are no shootouts and there is also no 4vs4 OT format applied in the POs. That´s why you have to look at their regulation records here. They have only 12 wins, 10 losses and 9 ties after 60 minutes, which is pretty average and probably makes them a bit overranked in the standings now.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It's really annoying their SO record vs. their Rangers' garbage one makes it seems like they're better by leaps and bounds but when you realize most of the difference was in a skills competition it's an example of why the shootout sucks.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Wow. Didn't realize that. They are still wins, so I wouldn't read too much in to it. But it definitely gives a different view of the 31GP 21W 10L 0OT line.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I'm getting sick of hearing about the Islanders.

Yes they have a good team but every single stat or win doesn't need it's own thread.

When they do something amazing like win 10 in a row or beat a team 11-3 then post a thread.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Yes they have a good team but every single stat or win doesn't need it's own thread.

When they do something amazing like win 10 in a row or beat a team 11-3 then post a thread.
Yeah, but the real question is if this is the positive or negative Isles thread ;) Not like the others and puts some things into the perspective btw..

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I think that will come back to hurt them at the end of the season when things get tight down the stretch, when other teams have more regulation wins.

Coming to post this. It is nice to be 9-0 and all, better than 0-9 but since it is a tie breaker you have got to think it might worry them a little.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Coming to post this. It is nice to be 9-0 and all, better than 0-9 but since it is a tie breaker you have got to think it might worry them a little.
One point in the standings more than compensates a bad tie-breaker, though. Tie-breaker is almost irrelevant, imo. The overall picture on the other hand...

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
That´s really amazing. Maybe they have a shot at some history here? (Some examples?!)

I don't know about examples, but we've been through this re NYI's shootout success. It's not a fluke. They can run out two shooters who are better than anyone the opposition can put out (Nielsen, Okposo). Then they've got a whole slew of shooters that are pretty good with Tavares, Bailey, Nelson, Strome, etc. Add a top-5 shootout goalie, and they're just the best in the league at the shootout. It's unlikely they go undefeated in the shootout. Still, they should still win the majority the rest of the way.

On the negative note, there are no shootouts and there is also no 4vs4 OT format applied in the POs. That´s why you have to look at their regulation records here. They have only 12 wins, 10 losses and 9 ties after 60 minutes, which is pretty average and probably makes them a bit overranked in the standings now.

Let's be clear about this: points notwithstanding, the conference looks like this.

1. Pittsburgh
2. Tampa Bay
3. The Mess:
Detroit, NYI, Montreal, Toronto, New York Rangers, Washington Capitals
9. The underperforming Boston Bruins
10-15. Teams with major deficiencies unlikely to challege for a playoff spot.

I don't think there's much difference between teams with 40ish points and teams like the Rangers and Capitals who are a little down. I expect that to even out a bit as the season goes on.

As a NYI fan, I feel like it is unrealistic to think that the team has overnight improved from a bottom-feeder to a team expected to win multiple rounds in the playoffs. Despite the fact that goaltending is VASTLY improved (I hope for Tampa's sake that Bishop is not out for long if he's gone for long, they're in The Mess too) + the forward depth is excellent, NYI have no legitimate #1 Defender or top pairing (despite decent defensive depth).

The goal this year was playoffs. It's looking good. It'll look better with first round home ice + a matchup against another team in The Mess.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Well, there was that regulation win against the Hawks... :p:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Good variance. Avs had that last season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I could say something negative about the Isles and how their record is boosted by OT/SO wins..

..but really that's just jealousy. Wings have thrown away 5 points in shootouts already, I'd love those points back.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's really annoying their SO record vs. their Rangers' garbage one makes it seems like they're better by leaps and bounds but when you realize most of the difference was in a skills competition it's an example of why the shootout sucks.

They do have better advanced stats than the Rangers that would indicate they have actually been playing well while the Rangers have not been.

Then again the rangers had some pretty significant injuries and a lot of lineup juggling to start this season

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Well, there was that regulation win against the Hawks... :p:

I don't care about that...

Lets see the Islanders replicate that in a 7 game series. :laugh:

I don't think there is one team in the NHL presently that can beat the Hawks in a 7 game series - certainly not an eastern conference team.

If it matters tho - 2 years ago I said the Islanders were going to be a powerhouse "in a few years."

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I don't care about that...

Lets see the Islanders replicate that in a 7 game series. :laugh:

I don't think there is one team in the NHL presently that can beat the Hawks in a 7 game series - certainly not an eastern conference team.

If it matters tho - 2 years ago I said the Islanders were going to be a powerhouse "in a few years."

Kings?

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Detroit are first in the Atlantic thanks to 7 pts awarded while losing the game. (they would be at 4th place without those pts). Does that make them overrated ?

It doesn't matter.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

How do you think we felt about the Hawks once they got good? Get over it, no one made you click this link.

startainfection*

I don't know about examples, but we've been through this re NYI's shootout success. It's not a fluke. They can run out two shooters who are better than anyone the opposition can put out (Nielsen, Okposo). Then they've got a whole slew of shooters that are pretty good with Tavares, Bailey, Nelson, Strome, etc. Add a top-5 shootout goalie, and they're just the best in the league at the shootout. It's unlikely they go undefeated in the shootout. Still, they should still win the majority the rest of the way.

Let's be clear about this: points notwithstanding, the conference looks like this.

1. Pittsburgh
2. Tampa Bay
3. The Mess:
Detroit, NYI, Montreal, Toronto, New York Rangers, Washington Capitals
9. The underperforming Boston Bruins
10-15. Teams with major deficiencies unlikely to challege for a playoff spot.

I don't think there's much difference between teams with 40ish points and teams like the Rangers and Capitals who are a little down. I expect that to even out a bit as the season goes on.

As a NYI fan, I feel like it is unrealistic to think that the team has overnight improved from a bottom-feeder to a team expected to win multiple rounds in the playoffs. Despite the fact that goaltending is VASTLY improved (I hope for Tampa's sake that Bishop is not out for long if he's gone for long, they're in The Mess too) + the forward depth is excellent, NYI have no legitimate #1 Defender or top pairing (despite decent defensive depth).

The goal this year was playoffs. It's looking good. It'll look better with first round home ice + a matchup against another team in The Mess.

Isles defensive depth is only decent? I think it is so good that it negates the fact that they don't have a typical number one dman

I also think of last year as a fluke and this is right where a rebuilding team should be a season separated from their first playoff birth with the new core

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No.

It took the Kings game 7 OT to beat the Hawks..

I'm not bitter either because that game could have gone either way.

So what you are saying is they we're beat in a 7 games series... lol stop being a homer.

There is no way to know what you claim. Hell people thought the leafs couldn't beat Boston, and they almost did, but I guess it doesn't count because it took Boston game 7 of OT to beat Toronto..

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I agree I don't like the shootout and it can "skew" the stats/record a bit.

That being said you can't assume they would lose that much in a continuous OT. Maybe they would be 9-0 or O-9 but we don't know.

I don't think it changes things all that much. 5v5 they are a good team and have shown they can play with anyone this year.

Also they have been winning without their 2 best defensive Dmen.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
No.

It took the Kings game 7 OT to beat the Hawks..

I'm not bitter either because that game could have gone either way.

Your opinion is clearly biased. Any of the Blues, Ducks, or Kings can beat the Hawks in a 7 game series. Not saying they will beat the Hawks, but its very plausible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad