Islanders 2018/19 Prospect Rankings - #2

Who is the Islanders #2 Prospect?

• Iskhakov, Ruslan - F (2018: 43rd OVR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soderstrom, Linus - G (2014: 95th OVR)

• Vande Sompel, Mitchell - D (2015: 82nd OVR)

• Wilde, Bode - D (2018: 41st OVR)

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Lots of recency bias going on here....

add Quenneville
Based on? Both guys we took were consensus top 10 guys. No one else in our pool was (aside from MDC, who ... lol). None of the other prospects have done anything to suggest their stock has risen that far, aside from arguably Sorokin, who's a goalie prospect (and thus untrustworthy)

Reactions: islesfan3913

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Based on? Both guys we took were consensus top 10 guys. No one else in our pool was (aside from MDC, who ... lol). None of the other prospects have done anything to suggest their stock has risen that far, aside from arguably Sorokin, who's a goalie prospect (and thus untrustworthy)

Obviously not. Also recency bias is always apparent on these polls it's the new shiny toy.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Obviously not. Also recency bias is always apparent on these polls it's the new shiny toy.
1. Lol yeah they were consensus top 10 guys. Where they were drafted has nothing to do with what the lists said pre-draft.
2. I've always seen people overrate prospects already in the system since we're more familiar with them. I specifically remember both Barzal and Bellows going lower than I thought they should have in polls when they were the "shiny new toys"

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
1. Lol yeah they were consensus top 10 guys. Where they were drafted has nothing to do with what the lists said pre-draft.
2. I've always seen people overrate prospects already in the system since we're more familiar with them. I specifically remember both Barzal and Bellows going lower than I thought they should have in polls when they were the "shiny new toys"

They weren't top 10 among the people who matter the most (the teams). Not dogging them I'm thrilled we got them where we did, but there's a reason why some players fall. Some are still just fine, some aren't...remember Angelo Esposito?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
They weren't top 10 among the people who matter the most (the teams). Not dogging them I'm thrilled we got them where we did, but there's a reason why some players fall. Some are still just fine, some aren't...remember Angelo Esposito?
No idea what you're basing that on. I'd bet if you took a consensus of the lists from all 31 NHL teams (or even the 11 teams that picked before us) both guys would be top 10

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I still remember after we drafted Barzal I was like he is better then Dal Colle but most pick stuck with the guy who was an Islanders longer

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nyi-2015-16-prospect-rankings-1.1919053/

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nyi-2015-16-prospect-rankings-2.1920449/

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Do you see Wilde or Ishakov getting any votes yet??? I doubt they start getting them til 7th or 8th.

In order of what I'm thinking..

Sorokin 3rd
JHS 4th
Bellows/Toews 5/6th

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I have Sorokin number one, look at his deep KHL runs, regular season and playoff statistics and Gold Medal trophy.
1. He plays on a stacked team. He and Shestyorkin are good but there numbers get a huge boost from playing behind CSKA and SKA.
2. He won that gold in a tournament with no NHLers, where he only played one game and allowed 3 goals on 21 shots
3. He's a goalie. Do people not remember Poulin and Koskinen?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
1. He plays on a stacked team. He and Shestyorkin are good but there numbers get a huge boost from playing behind CSKA and SKA.
2. He won that gold in a tournament with no NHLers, where he only played one game and allowed 3 goals on 21 shots
3. He's a goalie. Do people not remember Poulin and Koskinen?
I don't care if he's on a stacked team, he's supremely talented. He still has experienced winning a tremendous team feat (I value winners idc when or where or how). What does that have to do with him? Did Tavares being drafted have any impact on Strome? Did Reinhart have any impact on Pulock?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I don't care if he's on a stacked team, he's supremely talented. He still has experienced winning a tremendous team feat (I value winners idc when or where or how). What does that have to do with him? Did Tavares being drafted have any impact on Strome? Did Reinhart have any impact on Pulock?
He is talented, I was just putting his numbers in some context.

Saying that being a "winner" is an attribute is a big mistake IMO. Players can have more drive, be better leaders, or better teammates, but winning is done by a team, not a player. Griffin Reinhart captained a team to winning the Memorial Cup. Just a reminder.

Koskinen and Poulin flopping doesn't mean Sorokin will, but goalies have always been less reliable as prospects. There's a reason they rarely get taken in the 1st round and it isn't because goalie is a less important position.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

It's not the players that were picked.... it's the landslide they were picked in. There should be a consensus of the Islanders top 5 prospects (Bellows, Sorokin, Dobson, Wahlstrom, Ho-Sang) and any of them getting picked in any order in the top 5/6 isn't much of a surprise. But the new guys creaming the older guys who are much more proven at this point doesn't jive IMO.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

So then you must also admit that the same "people that matter the most" where dead wrong about Barzal. Works both ways.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

If you take McKenzie at his word there was a clear cut top 10 with 2 guys on the outside who some might rate higher. It just so happened that 2 teams in the top ten liked those 2 guys. I am guessing if we randomly picked 10 teams there would be a decent chance both would have been picked higher(more so dobson given I think many teams view center and defense more valuable)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad