Value of: Islander Trades

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
This team has overachieved thus far. I feel the last two games could be a sign of things to come for the rest of the year. Trotz is a great coach, and his structure has helped them achieve a respectable record thus far. But they have a glaring lack of overall talent, and speed, and will only go so far. Thus, I propose gutting this core. If it sends us tumbling toward the bottom of the league , then so be it, we need to add more premium talent through the draft anyway.

Bearing this in mind, I propose a fire sale, with the following players available:

Lee
Bailey
Eberle
Leddy
Nelson

I'm curious what all 5 of these players could yield as a return. So I ask fans of other teams (not you fellow Islander fans, I've had enough of my fellow Islander fan friends telling me that this team can legitimately compete, and shouldn't entertain trading any of these guys) to tell me if you were trading for any of these players, what could you see your team giving up for them. You don't have to list a value for all 5 players, just the one(s) your team would be willing to trade for.

I'm trying to figure out what a mini-rebuild could look like for the Islanders. Knowing what we would potentially get for these 5 guys, and adding those assets to the likes of Wahlstrom, Dobson, and all the rest of the prospects, would help me have a better picture of things moving forward. Thanks.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I thought the Islanders was doing okey so far this season, @Isles Drive For 5 and not much you can do in a shutout loss last evening, and it happens with most teams in this league meeting a hot goalie once in a while and they missed open net chances which was unfortunate in that game. And keep in mind that Rangers have one of the best goalie coaches in NHL. :)

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I thought the Islanders was doing okey so far this season, @Isles Drive For 5 and not much you can do in a shutout loss last evening, and it happens with most teams in this league meeting a hot goalie once in a while and they missed open net chances which was unfortunate in that game. And keep in mind that Rangers have one of the best goalie coaches in NHL. :)

Lou has said this is a season for him and Trotz to evaluate all the players.

As Beautviller pointed out, Bailey has signed to a team friendly $5m per yr deal and Lou is trying to extend Lee. I doubt Bailey is moved and if Lee can be extended, he is likely staying.

No reports Lou is trying to extend either Nelson or Eberle. There was a 4th Period rumor that Lou has been listening to offers for Leddy. Not sure which teams are kicking the tires

Reactions: IODCPiper

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
This team has overachieved thus far. I feel the last two games could be a sign of things to come for the rest of the year. Trotz is a great coach, and his structure has helped them achieve a respectable record thus far. But they have a glaring lack of overall talent, and speed, and will only go so far. Thus, I propose gutting this core. If it sends us tumbling toward the bottom of the league , then so be it, we need to add more premium talent through the draft anyway.

Bearing this in mind, I propose a fire sale, with the following players available:

Lee
Bailey
Eberle
Leddy
Nelson

I'm curious what all 5 of these players could yield as a return. So I ask fans of other teams (not you fellow Islander fans, I've had enough of my fellow Islander fan friends telling me that this team can legitimately compete, and shouldn't entertain trading any of these guys) to tell me if you were trading for any of these players, what could you see your team giving up for them. You don't have to list a value for all 5 players, just the one(s) your team would be willing to trade for.

I'm trying to figure out what a mini-rebuild could look like for the Islanders. Knowing what we would potentially get for these 5 guys, and adding those assets to the likes of Wahlstrom, Dobson, and all the rest of the prospects, would help me have a better picture of things moving forward. Thanks.

Well, as an outsider, I don't think anyone in the Islanders organization wants to trade Lee. And he seems like he really wants to stay.

That said, I think a lot of teams would pay up for him. Think 1st plus prospect kind of thing for Lee. Eberle is seriously talented, too. He should get you lots.

If you traded all 5 guys, you'd end up with multiple first rounders, and some other stuff.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
No go on a Bailey trade for me. He committed to us last season with an extension that's looking fantastic. $5M is an absolute steal for a guy of his ability.
When I read the published rumors of Skinner wanting $8m- $9m, Nylander wanting $8m and Panarin wanting $10m- $11m, it made lmao at the armchair GMs who called Bailey's $5m an albatross contract.

Reactions: dood

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
The problem is as much as I like Lee, I just feel he is a one dimensional player. Scores a ton of goals in front of the net, sure. But how many is he also responsible for giving up the other way because his skating is underwhelming. Is he the type of guy you give 7-8 million to if you want to build a perennial winner? I mean they have him now, and they're being outplayed in most games (been lucky to win several games thus far this year due to puck luck. Considering all this, and that he is probably our most valuable asset, does it make sense to trade him, get alot back for him, and use that as a way to change the dynamic of this team?

We all know the deal with Leddy. If you're looking for a defenseman who can rush the puck up the ice, he is elite in that category with his speed. However, he is pretty bad in his own end, and I'm not sure you build a winner with him being one of your main guys on the back line. I always read about how teams are willing to pay a premium for such a puck moving defenseman. So, if we can get a haul for him, considering its questionable that we can build a winner with him anyway, I think we have to unload him.

With Nelson, we've all heard the Brockober narrative. Quite frankly, I don't trust him, and I could see him doing nothing over the next 2 months. Considering he's gotten off to a real solid start, I say unload him now before his value dips. I know some will say "see what Trotz can do with him", but based upon the lack of intensity I've seen in his game in the past, I'm not sure any coach can make him what he truly could be but most likely never will.

With Bailey, I understand everyone's points about how his contract is a bargain compared to other comparable players. But I still can't feel as if we've never won with him, and he too can go invisible at times. Considering that many consider his contract a bargain, I would think that would enable us to get a good return for him. Again, if you're trying to change the dynamic of the team, sometimes you have to part with more valuable pieces to get more value back in return.

Lastly, in regards to Eberle, he's another guy that hasn't done alot of winning throughout his career. We've seen on several occasions this year how he at times flies out of the zone early. He'll put up points, but isn't great on the backcheck, and is probably responsible for just as many goals against, if not more, than he generates. I think the Isles brass sees that he is not the type of player that will buy in long term to Trotz's sytem of play. That, coupled with the fact that we have a lot of depth on the wings, and I think it is an easy decision to move him. Hopefully we can get a solid return for him.

If you move some of these guys, you have to figure we get back a few 1'sts and/or high 2nds. Then on top of that, moving them now will probably make the team on the ice right now worse, and increase their chances in the lottery at the end of the season. If I felt this team could honestly compete this year, I certainly wouldn't advocate for taking such a path. But again, I feel they have overachieved to this point, and many of the games they won, they just lucked out because the opposition missed on an insane amount of high quality scoring chances. If they can get back a haul of quality assets, and add them onto Barzal, Wahlstrom, Dobson, etc, I feel that this can be a min-rebuild that comes to fruition within 2-3 years. If they don't go this route, I worry that the team will find itself mired in mediocrity for several more years to come. That's my take anyway.

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
Just read about how Chiarelli wants a puck moving defenseman. Isles need a 2c. Would a base around Leddy for Nugent Hopkins be something that can work for both teams. If the answer to that question from an Edmonton perspective is no, then what in your opinion would have to be added to make the deal feasible?

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Not interested in moving Bailey.

Not interested in moving Lee unless he will not sign.

Leddy I’d be ok moving but his contract is pretty good and he can play top 4 minutes at least, so it has to be a good deal.

Nelson and Eberle I definitely want to see moved though.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
While I do think the Islanders make some tweaks to their lineup a guy like Anders Lee will stay with the team. He's a big part of the long term future of the Islanders.

Reactions: dood

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Keep Lee at whatever cost. He gets better every year. His speed has improved, his defensive play has gotten better and he is natural captain material that the locker room pretty much unanimously wanted him captain.

I wouldn’t trade Bailey. It’s been brought up in this thread his value to the team and as a smart hockey player.

I’d take picks and prospects for Leddy, Eberle and Nelson. None of the three seem to be leader-material and we will have vets in Lee, Bailey and (unmovable contract) Boychuk to mentor the youngens we have in the system.

Rather roll the dice and get better odds at drafting cornerstones along with developing Bellows, Wahlstrom, Dobson, etc

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood and IODCPiper

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I'd be interested in a leddy+eberle for Nylander+ deal if there is interest on both sides.

Nylander would give the islanders plenty of talent.

Maybe they see eberle playing the same sort of role as nylander at a more reasonable caphit.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00