Value of: Islander Trades

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I feel like Eberle is the type of player you can’t appreciate until he’s on your team. Even I was surprised how good he was/is. He’s got some silky smooth mitts. Also, islanders fan thought of him has a soft player. Since he’s been here to many of our surprise he’s willing to get his nose dirty and engage in board battles.

I’d say he’s for sure a top6 winger. If you have a star and good LW Eberle is a really good too Line RW to compliment those players. Ideally he’s a great 2nd line RW that helps the 2nd line get some offense going.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I have no interest in overpaying for a highly skilled 60 pt winger, when between the isles prospect pool and nhl roster is deepest at that position.

The shiny top prospects argument reminds me of the Duchene for Barzal + discussions between Avs and Isles fans..what the hell had junior prospect Barzal done to make isles fans consider him to be untouchable?

And Pulock has played probably 110 nhl games. Way too soon to know what the finished product is.

It also reminds me of the don't trade Ryan Strome, Nino Neiderreiter, Josh Ho-Sang, Michael Dal Colle talks as well....

Pulock is playing in the NHL and sure he could turn into a decent defenseman, but if perpetually waiting for rookies to develop is your idea of a good time I wouldn't want to ruin your splendid draft party every year. By all means let's just keep treading water.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It also reminds me of the don't trade Ryan Strome, Nino Neiderreiter, Josh Ho-Sang, Michael Dal Colle talks as well....

Pulock is playing in the NHL and sure he could turn into a decent defenseman, but if perpetually waiting for rookies to develop is your idea of a good time I wouldn't want to ruin your splendid draft party every year. By all means let's just keep treading water.

24 yr old Pulock is going thru his growing pains under Trotz and already a "decent defenseman". His 22+ min of icetime in the last game is a good indication of how Trotz is leaning on him and bringing him along.
Just like Barzal is going thru growing pains under Trotz,Pulock is a work in progress.

Nino developed into a 25 goal scorer at the nhl level. Isles screwed around with his development so Wang could save a buck. Does that change his producing at the nhl level? Were the isles better off moving him for Clutterbuck +3rd?

And clearly I have higher expectations for 22 JHS then you do.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
24 yr old Pulock is going thru his growing pains under Trotz and already a "decent defenseman". His 22+ min of icetime in the last game is a good indication of how Trotz is leaning on him and bringing him along.
Just like Barzal is going thru growing pains under Trotz,Pulock is a work in progress.

Nino developed into a 25 goal scorer at the nhl level. Isles screwed around with his development so Wang could save a buck. Does that change his producing at the nhl level? Were the isles better off moving him for Clutterbuck +3rd?

The good thing about expectations is they'll never be less than expectations.

The question is, if you can even put yourself in someone else shoes, would the stuff you brought up about Pulock and his growing pains be enough to sway you as a Maple Leaf's fan that it's not an overpayment? The only honest answer would be no. Fortunately it seems we don't need to worry about it anymore and Pulock can continue his growing pains (and my watching pains) on the NYI.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The good thing about expectations is they'll never be less than expectations.

The question is, if you can even put yourself in someone else shoes, would the stuff you brought up about Pulock and his growing pains be enough to sway you as a Maple Leaf's fan that it's not an overpayment? The only honest answer would be no. Fortunately it seems we don't need to worry about it anymore and Pulock can continue his growing pains (and my watching pains) on the NYI.

24 yr old Pulock has played roughly 115 nhl games.
In the isles last game (3-2 win over Columbus), he played 22+ mins.

Not sure what your expectations are,but the kid is meeting mine

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustin

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Yeah I wouldn't trade Pulock either. Kid hasn't even played 300 games yet and defencemen can take awhile.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
What would it take to get Mayfield to StL?
Mayfield is in season 1 of a 5 year deal, that pays $1.45m per.
He is quietly developing well.

His value will be higher to the nyi then what he would bring back alone.
So, unless another youngster is called up and outplays him or he is part of a larger trade, I do not see a reason to move him.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Is Tarasenko, O'Reilly or Steen available?

We got Nelson, Mayfield, Eberle and a butt ton of top 5/6/7 (top 4 potential nearly all of them) prospect depth that are ready, but there's no room.

I don't know where the Blues are at this point..are you doing a retool or do you think what you have is pretty much good to go? I mean on paper you guys have a great team, but so far..something is not working right. O'Reilly is exactly what we need and so is Pietrangelo....but I don;t think you're open to trading those guys.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Is Tarasenko, O'Reilly or Steen available?

We got Nelson, Mayfield, Eberle and a butt ton of top 5/6/7 (top 4 potential nearly all of them) prospect depth that are ready, but there's no room.

I don't know where the Blues are at this point..are you doing a retool or do you think what you have is pretty much good to go? I mean on paper you guys have a great team, but so far..something is not working right. O'Reilly is exactly what we need and so is Pietrangelo....but I don;t think you're open to trading those guys.
Ror is what everyone needs. Steen can be traded the rest will cost a lot

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd be interested in a Nelson (4.25M - UFA 2019) for Nyquist (4.75M - UFA 2019) swap.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Yeah..we need either a top end dman (top 1/2/3) OR a 2c

Nelson can be part of a package to do this if possible. I find a lot of teams top heavy and the bottom 6 are not so great. We can help teams in that dept. We've got great depth..just not high end depth. FYI, we can also take a cap dump if we can land one or both of those needs.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
This team has overachieved thus far. I feel the last two games could be a sign of things to come for the rest of the year. Trotz is a great coach, and his structure has helped them achieve a respectable record thus far. But they have a glaring lack of overall talent, and speed, and will only go so far. Thus, I propose gutting this core. If it sends us tumbling toward the bottom of the league , then so be it, we need to add more premium talent through the draft anyway.

Bearing this in mind, I propose a fire sale, with the following players available:

Lee
Bailey
Eberle
Leddy
Nelson

I'm curious what all 5 of these players could yield as a return. So I ask fans of other teams (not you fellow Islander fans, I've had enough of my fellow Islander fan friends telling me that this team can legitimately compete, and shouldn't entertain trading any of these guys) to tell me if you were trading for any of these players, what could you see your team giving up for them. You don't have to list a value for all 5 players, just the one(s) your team would be willing to trade for.

I'm trying to figure out what a mini-rebuild could look like for the Islanders. Knowing what we would potentially get for these 5 guys, and adding those assets to the likes of Wahlstrom, Dobson, and all the rest of the prospects, would help me have a better picture of things moving forward. Thanks.

Lee, Eberle and Leddy would all get a substantial return. assuming this would be with a rebuild in mind those 3 could easily all return a 1st +.

Bailey is in the 2ndsih and maybe a low 1st range.

Nelson is worth a 3rd ish or similar depth player.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Lee, Eberle and Leddy would all get a substantial return. assuming this would be with a rebuild in mind those 3 could easily all return a 1st +.

Bailey is in the 2ndsih and maybe a low 1st range.

Nelson is worth a 3rd ish or similar depth player.

Bailey is quite easily the best of those listed players, his value is significantly more than a 2nd or a lot first and a throw in, and no he isn't available.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Mayfield is in season 1 of a 5 year deal, that pays $1.45m per.
He is quietly developing well.

His value will be higher to the nyi then what he would bring back alone.
So, unless another youngster is called up and outplays him or he is part of a larger trade, I do not see a reason to move him.

Agreed. Mayfield is leading our defense with 13 points in 23 games while mostly skating bottom pairing minutes. He seems to be one of the players that's really motivated by Trotz new system, and how it's allowed Mayfield to play the best hockey of his career.

At that nothing contract, with all that time left, I just don't see Mayfield being traded. Other teams aren't going to pony up that much for a bottom pairing guy anyway, so stay the course.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Bailey is quite easily the best of those listed players, his value is significantly more than a 2nd or a lot first and a throw in, and no he isn't available.

We'll have to disagree here in terms of who is the most appealing.

Leddy is a cost controlled offensive Dman in his prime, imo he is by far the most valuable.

Lee is one of the best power forwards in the league and a top goal scorer. He is likely the next most desirable but the pending UFA does hurt that.

I think there is merit that due to his deal Bailey could be worth more than Eberle due to contracts but the biggest issue with Bailey is while he is coming off a fantastic year last year, every other year has been that of a 3rd line center and even with his high numbers last year and so far now at 29 there isn't much left of his prime, so the term on his contract may also be a detriment. He is a big risk reward asset. Its also difficult to state he is terrible good defensively either. Eberle at least has the benefit of being and elite offensive player throughout his career, he has the consistency.

Its far easier to take on players as possible rentals, especially now with the ED looming in the future. That's how I view the situation.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I thought Mayfield would have made a lot of sense for Toronto before this season started. Value is much higher now though.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
and the question goes unanswered.....
Your question was is Pulock & Dobson fair value for Nylander.

You will not find any post of mine, asking how can the nyi can acquire Nylander .

I have posted that the 2019 draft is deep at center and the isles are likely to get their long-term #2C in that draft.
So, since I have previously said I am not interested in giving up the isles top 2 RHD prospects for Nylander, I am not really concerned with whether Toronto management or fans would consider Pulock & Dobson good value for Nylander .

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My last Nylander discussion was Leaf fans insisting RHDs Dobson + Pulock for Nylander was not an overpayment.

As I said with 20 Nylander trade threads, I had little desire for thread 21.

Your question was is Pulock & Dobson fair value for Nylander.

You will not find any post of mine, asking how can the nyi can acquire Nylander .

I have posted that the 2019 draft is deep at center and the isles are likely to get their long-term #2C in that draft.
So, since I have previously said I am not interested in giving up the isles top 2 RHD prospects for Nylander, I am not really concerned with whether Toronto management or fans would consider Pulock & Dobson good value for Nylander .

And the bold is where the contradiction occurs and why we are having this conversation. Anyway, we can put it to bed, but obviously you are saying you aren't concerned, when you are concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad