Player Discussion Isac Lundestrom

Oct 18, 2011
Completely mismanaged. He has some traits I really like but we're gonna him into yet another grinder when a year as SD number one center or atleast half a year would've been good. I like the kid but f*** what did he do after the hattrick game?

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Completely mismanaged. He has some traits I really like but we're gonna him into yet another grinder when a year as SD number one center or atleast half a year would've been good. I like the kid but f*** what did he do after the hattrick game?

He was rushed, but not necessarily mismanaged completely. Lundy's defense was too advanced for his age and the Ducks thought they could get him going. The biggest nuance about being rushed was the mass injuries to the center position. We even put Steel in at center as a 20 year old in the NHL with 18-year old Lundy. Anaheim was desperate out of necessity. So there is that nuance about Lundy.

This year should have been his first year on NA. But because we rushed Lundy as an 18-year old to burn his ELC. From a contract standpoint, we blew it. Lundy should have stayed in the SHL for two years and then make his way here.

Although he was rushed, the org didn't keep him in the NHL to be overwhelmed like Steel. Lundy was returned to the SHL in his rookie season and improved his offense there. Last year, Lundy stayed on NA ice and all he looked like was a defensive center and not much more. This year, Lundy was on loan to HockeyAllsvenkan (one league lower than SHL). He played 1C there and earned 11 pts (5g, 6a) in 12 games. We recalled him, but was going to make him a winger. It failed at the NHL level, but when demoted to the AHL, Lundy's offense sparked. I credit this to coach Dineen. Somehow, Lundy went back to center due to a combo of injury and Rico's waiving. Lundy went from defensive C to a two-way C. He helped bring offense when he centered Rakell and Comtois. He didn't score a lot of points, but his movement opened up offense for Comtois and Rakell.

Lundy surpassed Steel in the depth chart, Steel being two years older. People forget that Lundy is only 21 years old in his D+3 year. I am in agreement with you about Eakins' usage of Lundy. The offense took off when Lundy centered Rakell and Comtois. Then Eakins separated them for what reason, I don't know? But Eakins has tried putting Steel with Rakell and Comtois to... improve Steel's stock???

Still, I think Lundy is progressing nicely. Playing over in Europe before the seasons started as a 1C really helped him and his confidence. I think the news of switching to wing probably took him down mentally until SD coach Dineen re-focused his head. I'd like to see more offense from Lundy, but he does a lot more on the ice to support the team as he's been our default 1C this year. With Zegras looking far more better in his 2nd NHL stint and playing center, Lundy takes on the tougher competition and Zegras could feast on the weaker lines... just like at the WJC's.

Lundy just needs more confidence and maybe more vision. Luckily, he'll be able to watch Zegras for offensive inspiration to add to his two-way game.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Lundestrom needs to figure out the end product part of the equation at the NHL level because the natural traits of a good offensive player are there. He's one of our best puck carriers in transition (the fact that Eakins couldn't turn that into some power play time mystifies me) and cycle players down low and he does make intelligent plays with the puck, he just needs to figure out how to translate that into goals and points (better wingers would certainly help).

I'm still bullish on him. Even as a 21-year-old, this was the first season he wasn't riding the shuttle back between the NHL and San Diego (or even Europe, for that matter) and he more than any other center felt the impact of Ricky's absence and subsequent drop-off post injury, not to mention his own issues with the appendectomy. Stability and complementary linemates and I could see continued offensive progression combined with his solid defensive game, I still think he becomes a middle-6 center when it's all said and done.

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Lundestrom just needs to figure out the end product part of the equation because the natural traits of a good offensive player are there. He's one of our best puck carriers in transition (the fact that Eakins couldn't turn that into some power play time mystifies me) and cycle players down low, he just needs to figure out how to translate that into goals and points (better wingers would certainly help).

I'm still bullish on him. Even as a 21-year-old, this was the first season he wasn't riding the shuttle back between the NHL and San Diego (or even Europe, for that matter) and he more than any other center felt the impact of Ricky's absence and subsequent drop-off post injury, not to mention his own issues with the appendectomy. Stability and good linemates and I could see continued offensive progression combined with his solid defensive game, I still think he becomes a middle-6 center when it's all said and done.

completely agree. He suffers a bit from the Terry thing where they can look dangerous but the points are tough to come by. Some of it is the quality of the team around them and some is on the individual.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Skating and puck control are good, but passing and awareness of where teammates are on the ice are not. Lundestrom plays a "safe" game, usually keeping the puck out of areas where it can be turned over. This is at the expense of attacking the net or seeing teammates who are in scoring areas. He often circles back towards the defensive zone with the puck in order to maintain possession. I like his game overall, but his mindset is going to have to change in order to become a scoring center.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Maybe it just takes time for Lundy. He's brings quite the offense when he plays across the pond. What's weird is that it took getting demoted and having coach Dineen inspire him to play with more aggression as a winger. Eyes then perked up about Lundy.

Lundy went from fringe 3C to demotion to winger and eventually became the team's 1C. He looked good playing with Rakell and Comtois. At age 21, he's still developing or adapting to NA ice and game play. Again, his offensive numbers across the pond depicts he has offense in him. Let's hope the growth on NA ice continues.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
His skating ability in the offensive zone would probably open up passing opportunities on the larger ice that may not exist when things are a bit tighter on NHL ice.

I think he has a good deal of upside but still has some adapting to do. He looks so much better offensively than he did a couple years ago. I think another thing with Isac is that he needs to change his mindset a bit and be more willing to take risks. For example, rarely see him try to stick handle in traffic but I think he probably has the hands to do that. That stuff attempt on Fleury early in the year shows his ability in tight areas.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
One thing I've learned over the time, being patient with young players. As long as we see progression - and that is the case with Lundy - I'm not overly concerned. It will come around.

Reactions: Kalv

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
One thing I've learned over the time, being patient with young players. As long as we see progression - and that is the case with Lundy - I'm not overly concerned. It will come around.

I think Lundestrom took a huge leap this year - as big as anyone not named Comtois/Zegras/Drysdale. I think he'll eventually show more offense as he continues to develop if he's on a line with more skill. Biggest change I saw was carrying the puck into the zone with authority and confidence - something the team sorely lacks. Plays a well rounded game as well. He's a keeper for me.

Reactions: Sean Garrity
Oct 18, 2011
Skating and puck control are good, but passing and awareness of where teammates are on the ice are not. Lundestrom plays a "safe" game, usually keeping the puck out of areas where it can be turned over. This is at the expense of attacking the net or seeing teammates who are in scoring areas. He often circles back towards the defensive zone with the puck in order to maintain possession. I like his game overall, but his mindset is going to have to change in order to become a scoring center.
and you know what could have helped him?
Playing on a high scoring AHL team playing 20 minutes per game

the ducks seem to have no plan for developing players, Zegras seems to be idiotproof atleast

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

the ducks seem to have no plan for developing players, Zegras seems to be idiotproof atleast
I think he was capable of playing in the NHL but it seems like in becoming "responsible" or "200 foot players" a lot of Duck prospects lose their way offensively. A new developmental mindset is needed in the organization.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I think he was capable of playing in the NHL but it seems like in becoming "responsible" or "200 foot players" a lot of Duck prospects lose their way offensively. A new developmental mindset is needed in the organization.
Murray's with his mindset of having everyone be a 2way forward/Dmen is part of the problem.
Sometimes the best defense is the best offense and staying the offensive zone more then playing in the defensive zone.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Murray's with his mindset of having everyone be a 2way forward/Dmen is part of the problem.
Sometimes the best defense is the best offense and staying the offensive zone more then playing in the defensive zone.
Murray and Eakins do seem to reference defensive ability a decent amount. You’d think playing with Denis Savard all those years would’ve taught him that some guys need to just go out there and do what they’re gonna do. Not everyone is Kopitar

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

The scouting group is exceptional at finding goalies and blue liners, but has been having great difficulty with finding forwards. This isn't anything new, but I believe the org did a change in philosophy when they stopped drafting defensemen in the early rounds for four to five draft seasons. One way to improve the forward group is to find talent that doesn't need as much developing offensively. heh This is why everyone loved the Zegras pick and why so many of us were thinking of drafting a forward last year at 6th overall (partly because Drysdale was projected to be a top-5 pick, mocked to Ottawa at 5th overall).

I think getting players who play a 200ft game should be a solid base to begin with, or at least have the motor to do so even though they might not be excellent at playing defense. We've tried players who play offense, but don't play defense in forwards Aberg and Sprong. D Monty played too freewheeling on defense. If a player isn't scoring, then are they preventing being scored upon? One can weigh and balance if a player is doing enough offensively to justify being on the ice. Nick Ritchie didn't score enough to accept not playing well on ES. This season, the Ducks waived Rico for being in a similar situation. Also this season, we did see Comtois score and lead the team in scoring, but there were many games he didn't deserve to be on the ice because of his bad play.

The Ducks have recently selected scoring talent that may need to develop a fuller 200-foot game. Comtois, Zegras, and Perreault are examples of this group. Many of us witnessed that Zegras' first stint in the AHL and NHL wasn't that great outside of his flashes of brilliance. The grievance is we want a consistently good game played, not flashes of brilliance. When Zegras was sent down to the AHL, but this time at center, he had more determination to do more on the ice than show flashes. That translated to a better 200ft game and a recall to the NHL. Zegras became much more involved all over the ice. Perreault is a deviation from the Ducks usual pattern of drafting boy scout forwards such as Jones, Steel, Lundy, Tracey, and Colangelo. Perreault has high level offensive skill set and skating, but lacking the motor to play a 200 ft game, which is the reason he fell from the projected teens to the bottom of the first round at 27th overall to the Ducks. This is a gamble pick because we did have Aberg and Sprong, high level scoring talent, but lacking a 200 ft game. Perreault going to the AHL instead back to his OHL team was important because the AHL presented several critical factors to Perreault: 1) high level competition, 2) playing for a former NHL head coach who has sights on becoming an NHL coach again, 3) Ducks organization having a direct view of Perreault, and 4) playing with other players fighting for a job in the AHL as well as fighting for a job to be in the NHL. All of these factors should spur the Perreault to improve if he wants to improve, otherwise we have another Sprong prospect. We're fortunate that Perreault rose to the occasion, and probably having a dad who played well in the NHL be another motivating factor for Jacob to improve his overall game.

The the most recent success we had at forward under this scouting group is seventh rounder Ondrej Kase. He's the epitome of a 200-ft player with offensive talent. Sadly, he's made out of glass. We traded him away for F BAckes' contract, a late 2020 first round pick (Perreault), and prospect RHD Andersson. Kase's draft selection came about from GM Murray trading C Peter Holland (and F Staubitz) for low prospect D Blacker, a conditional 3rd rnd pick (upgraded to 2nd rnd if Holland plays 25 NHL games for the Leafs), and a 7th rnd pick. We got a 2nd round pick, which turned out to be D Pettersson. We eventually traded D Pettersson for F Sprong. That 7th round pick became Kase.

Has the org tried changing its ways to improve finding talent? Yes. We're 1 for 2 in top-10 forward selections, Zegras looks very good and Ritchie is gone. The Ducks did try to acquire another top-10 talent that fell in the draft in 2019, but Vegas stole the prospect one pick ahead of the proposed trade with the Ducks to draft F Krebs.

It's easier to find scoring talent if that talent has top-10 talent to begin with. Drafting the Twins was like winning the lottery. We can't expect that to happen again. We've been drafting in the bottom of the first round for several years and expecting to find the Twins. That's unfair, but we've been spoiled like that. IMO, Perreault has Lucas Raymond skill set and Raymond went 4th overall in 2020. I think we stole Perreault now that we've seen his effort and development on AHL ice.

(I had Lundy in bold to have some tangential reason for this post. heh)

Last edited:
Reactions: Masch78

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Here's the Last word on Sports summary on Isac's scouting profile:
Projection and Comparison

Lundestrom could be a solid two-way forward at the NHL level, capable of playing in all situations and putting up points. While it’s not clear that he has the potential to be a franchise centre, he can be a solid top-six player. Lundestrom needs to work on improving his strength, being better in front of the net without the puck, and shooting more. His defensive game will also grow with more minutes and good coaching. Expect him to spend another year or two in Sweden before coming to the NHL. Lundestrom’s game is reminiscent of Mikko Koivu of the Minnesota Wild, but this is a style comparison only and not one based on talent.

Here's a synopsis by Grant McCagg (found this quote on Isac's The Hockey Writer's profile)

“The 17-year-old is already playing a second-line role for Lulea in the SHL after a solid performance in the U-20 Summer Showcase that went a long way towards him cracking Sweden’s WJC roster, the only draft-eligible player aside from Dahlin to make the team. By the end of the tournament, Lundestrom was Sweden’s second-line center and playing a solid all-around role. While some scouts are still not certain of his offensive upside, he has worked his way into the discussion to be the first center chosen in next June’s draft.” –Grant McCagg/Recrutes

Anaheim was in need of centers. We know this after the 2019 draft because GM Murray was dead set on a center in the 2019 draft, which probably means he was set on a center in 2018 as selected Isac in the first round and BO Groulx in the second round. Some had Isac pegged in the mid-teens, but he fell to the Ducks at 23rd overall. Truthfully, he sounds like a typical solid pick for the Ducks. Was there a lot of offense about him? I don't recall, but I do recall he was reluctant to shoot the puck. Let's look at this pro men's Swedish career.

Sweden, Pro mens
LundyProSweden
YearAgeLeagueGamesGA PtsPPG rate
2015-1615SHL40000.00
2016-1716SHL463360.13
Playoffs 10000.00
2017-1817SHL4269150.36
Playoffs 30000.00
2018-1918SHL4569150.33
Playoffs 102680.80
2019-2019
2020-2120H.A.1256110.92
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It doesn't appear that Lundy was an offensive dynamo when we drafted him in 2018. But when he was loaned to the SHL in 2018 after struggling on NA ice his rookie season, the offense sparked in the SHL playoffs. Again, this year in HockeyAllsvenkan, Lundy was able to increase his scoring production to nearly a ppg rate. H.A. is below the SHL and you can recall H.A. loaned players during the season, but cannot in the SHL as they are required to stay until the season is done, including playoffs. In 2019-20, Lundy stayed in North America.

It's odd, but Lundy's been playing against men since he was age 15?! That's how advanced his all around game is. While he should have been dominating against his peers, his talent unfortunately pushed him up to higher leagues. Apparently, Lundy's progression was rushed before he became a Duck. Anaheim just continued that trend.​

North America, Minors
LundyMinorsUSA
2018-1918AHL120660.50
Playoffs 71230.43
2019-2019AHL43615210.49
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Now this is surprising. Lundy's scoring rate was better here than in his SHL seasons before the draft. Isac went to the Ducks after the draft. He played with the NHL club to start the season and then sent to the AHL. Afterwards, was loaned back to his SHL team. Lundy's been playing on the big ice for his career and the transition might have been too soon to play at a smaller rink. Yet, the following season, it appears his scoring production stagnated. Still, that's only 62 games in the AHL played, which is one season. Probably needs more seasoning.

Looking at his age, if Lundy were in the CHL, then he wouldn't be in the AHL at all until he was 20 years of age.

North America, Pro
LundyProUSA
2018-1918NHL150220.13
2019-2019NHL150440.27
2020-2120NHL416390.22
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In his first two seasons, Lundy was able double his output in the NHL. That sounds good, but jumping from 2 points to 4 points isn't really earth shattering. This past year, his scoring rate dropped. Yet, the most promising thing this year is that he can score goals at the NHL level. He looked very good in an offensive role when he centered Comtois and Rakell, but they were disbanded and Lundy was thrown all about, playing so many different roles.

Isac is a bit cursed. His hockey IQ has him advanced for his age, but he is still in need of development and focus by the organization. This year, the org started him off at wing. Then put in as 3C in an emergency situation. Caught fire with Comtois and Rakell. Afterwards, his line mates kept changing and his roles also kept changing. The only constant development for Isac was his defense at ES and PK.

In Sweden and under AHL coach Dineen, Lundy started to tap into his offense. I think Lundy is too good of a soldier to question things and the focus needs to lay at the hands of the org/coaches to get him to focus more on his offense.

Right now, fellow 2018 draftee BO Groulx has a scoring rate of 0.69 ppg in the AHL with 29 points (10g + 19a) in 42 games. Yet, BO's development arc allowed him to play against his peers in a scoring situation on the smaller rink. Lundy hasn't had consistency in his development on NA ice. I do think Lundy possesses some offensive skills that can net him above a 0.22 PPG rate, but his curve is going to be a longer one because his curse is he's too good to play at a lower level, but not advanced enough to develop normally. Not every prospect is a Zegras or Drysdale. We all can hope there is more offense there for Lundy. Let's hope our coaching staff makes him believe it too.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Murray and Eakins do seem to reference defensive ability a decent amount. You’d think playing with Denis Savard all those years would’ve taught him that some guys need to just go out there and do what they’re gonna do. Not everyone is Kopitar
I kinda wonder what Steel would be like on Seattle or Philly (if they do a Steel for Patrick trade) like if they would have him focus on offense and less on trying to be a defensive 3C/4C
Philly is pretty set at Center so i imagine they would move Steel to the Wing and i think Seattle might too.

Also i wonder where Steel would be if Tampa drafted him......their skating coach/trainer is incredible i hear and turned Point from a Steel/Rossi into a Speedster.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I kinda wonder what Steel would be like on Seattle or Philly (if they do a Steel for Patrick trade) like if they would have him focus on offense and less on trying to be a defensive 3C/4C
Philly is pretty set at Center so i imagine they would move Steel to the Wing and i think Seattle might too.

Also i wonder where Steel would be if Tampa drafted him......their skating coach/trainer is incredible i hear and turned Point from a Steel/Rossi into a Speedster.
The one thing Steel has going for him is his hockey IQ/awareness. He needs to improve on just about everything else from skating, to strength, even to puck-handling, but at least he is a pretty smart player. he also needs to get that confidence and composure back in his game. he was forcing plays most of the season. there were a couple shifts in the Minnesota or St. Louis series at the end where he was at W briefly and looked really good.

whenever you have a player like that, there is always a decent amount of hope for a period of time. I'm not sure it happens in Anaheim or anywhere, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is able to emerge at some point. I don't think he's a player who could score a crazy amount of points, but certainly there is potential to be better than he is currently. First step is to move him away from the middle, he just isn't a centre and I think if he moves it's likely that team would realize that.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad