Is YouTube Done? (MOD Warning - See post #193)

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Logan Paul loses his YouTube ads after he shocks rat with Taser

LOS ANGELES — Logan Paul, 2018's new major problem for YouTube, has gotten into more hot water with the Google-owned video network.
The issue this time — a rat and the Tide Pods challenge.
YouTube said it would "temporarily" suspend ads on his popular YouTube channel after Paul — one of the top-earning creators on the network — shocked a rat in a recent video with a Taser. Also Paul on Twitter, in a since-deleted tweet, suggested he'd eat a Tide Pod for every retweet from his 4.2 million followers — an attempted joke aimed at a dangerous, Internet-fueled teen trend of swallowing the colorful detergent packets for views.
In recent weeks, such prank videos have emerged on YouTube, and the service has been struggling to take them down as soon as they are flagged. U.S. poison centers in January reported 142 incidents from individuals taking the "Tide Pod Challenge."

All of this over a dead rat being tasered? Yet FilthyFrank never got into trouble when he was playing around with a dead rat shown on a YouTube video.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Meh. I think it is silly the fuss being made over some dead rats but he clearly hasn't learned a thing from what happened so if Youtube wants to keep slashing his monetization they can go right ahead lol

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Silly in general over a dead rat but his audience of highly impressionable kids could spawn a bunch of animal abusers. And f*** him anyways so go YT

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's not just the dead rats.

It's everything he's done up to this point. YouTube is finally sending him a strong message.

Next time, they'll probably disable ads on his channel for good.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
It's not just the dead rats.

It's everything he's done up to this point. YouTube is finally sending him a strong message.

Next time, they'll probably disable ads on his channel for good.

Then why not just give him this much harsher punishment sooner if it's over everything he's done on YouTube? I doubt he really cares though about this punishment seeing he's got other revenue streams.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Then why not just give him this much harsher punishment sooner if it's over everything he's done on YouTube? I doubt he really cares though about this punishment seeing he's got other revenue streams.

Because, this was another instance of Logan Paul hurting the YouTube name. Main Stream news outlets were questioning YouTube over their soft handling of Paul. In all likelihood, advertisers were saying the same things to YouTube.

They didn't take away his ad revenue because of mutilation of dead rats/fish, they took away his ad revenue because of everything that has happened, including the rats/fish, and the 'fear' of what else he could do.

And yes, he will care. He's already lost the preferred advertisement, which is a difference of millions a year, he has now lost his ad revenue, at least temporarily, which is around a million a month of lost revenue.

Yes, he has his merch. He can make a nice living off of that, but it's not the same. YouTube was still his main revenue stream. Whether it be the YouTube Red series/movies or his channel itself, all that revenue has now been taken away from him.

And good riddance. The Paul brothers are the face of everything wrong with YouTube.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Because, this was another instance of Logan Paul hurting the YouTube name. Main Stream news outlets were questioning YouTube over their soft handling of Paul. In all likelihood, advertisers were saying the same things to YouTube.

They didn't take away his ad revenue because of mutilation of dead rats/fish, they took away his ad revenue because of everything that has happened, including the rats/fish, and the 'fear' of what else he could do.

And yes, he will care. He's already lost the preferred advertisement, which is a difference of millions a year, he has now lost his ad revenue, at least temporarily, which is around a million a month of lost revenue.

Yes, he has his merch. He can make a nice living off of that, but it's not the same. YouTube was still his main revenue stream. Whether it be the YouTube Red series/movies or his channel itself, all that revenue has now been taken away from him.

And good riddance. The Paul brothers are the face of everything wrong with YouTube.

The Main Stream media is clueless about YouTube if what they think is wrong with YouTube is because of Logan Paul and while they're advertisers concerned with what's on YouTube I doubt all of the advertisers are up in arms. They're things to blast the Jake and Logan Paul for but they're worse individuals on YouTube and they don't receive the same degree of punishment as Logan Paul or even the same degree of criticism by the public as these 2 because they're not the current face of YouTube.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Main Stream media is clueless about YouTube if what they think is wrong with YouTube is because of Logan Paul and while they're advertisers concerned with what's on YouTube I doubt all of the advertisers are up in arms. They're things to blast the Jake and Logan Paul for but they're worse individuals on YouTube and they don't receive the same degree of punishment as Logan Paul or even the same degree of criticism by the public as these 2 because they're not the current face of YouTube.

I'm going to assume you are a Paul Brothers fan, and stop this conversation.

The New York Times had an article about it. News Outlets are covering it. Advertisers have pulled out from YouTube before over less. It's a sure thing advertisers were asking YT questions, which is a big reason this likely happened. To avoid another mass advertiser pull out.

As for the last half, you answered yourself. There are people who have done worse (DaddyOFive - who lost his entire channel due to what they were doing, so they technically got a worse degree of punishment) but they aren't the face of the website. Most don't make enough/get enough views to even warrant anything.

Reactions: Pilky01

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'm going to assume you are a Paul Brothers fan, and stop this conversation.

The New York Times had an article about it. News Outlets are covering it. Advertisers have pulled out from YouTube before over less. It's a sure thing advertisers were asking YT questions, which is a big reason this likely happened. To avoid another mass advertiser pull out.

As for the last half, you answered yourself. There are people who have done worse (DaddyOFive - who lost his entire channel due to what they were doing, so they technically got a worse degree of punishment) but they aren't the face of the website. Most don't make enough/get enough views to even warrant anything.

Not a fan of Logan and Jake Paul. Jake Paul is a scumbag just for doxing Post Malone alone. Logan Paul is a scumbag just for how he disrespected the culture in Japan alone. DaddyOFive has a new channel called FamilyOFive in which he uses his old channel to get others to subscribe to his new channel. I'm glad he received punishment from the legal system over the abuse but YouTube didn't even remove his previous channel. Yes, there were some advertisers that have pulled ads overtime but not every advertiser has and I doubt every advertiser will as not all advertisers can agree over where their ads should be and shouldn't be placed on. All I'm asking for is YouTube to be fair with its rules as much as possible an that includes starting a major crackdown across the board no matter the subscriber count of the channels that deserve to be punished.

DaddyOFive
FamilyOFive

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

To be honest, I get a couple distinct vibes form "black creators", none of which i like too much.

1) "Black guy reactions" stuff...which just feels like playing up stereotypes of black people "wild'in out"...I also suspect these kind of "creators" are mainly followed by 12 year old suburban white kids
2) "Alt right" black people (a lot of black guys on YT seem to have not liked The Last Jedi, lol)
3) "Black Nerd" stuff where being black is fundamental to the channel's image. No objection to the channels existing (I've watched a couple of that Andre, the black nerd guy's videos and he is okay but to be honest he is too nerdy for me), I am just not their demographic.

But I am also older than YT's target demo in general. I think I follow a lot less channels than most people and they're not really personality driven; they're topic specific.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I do find it strange how disproportionately it feels like a lot of those awful react channels happen to be black. Is it due to particular economical/environmental/cultural influences or something?
Yes. The entertainment a person chooses to consume is absolutely indicative of someone's intelligence.
This ignores the percentage of the population that views entertainment as a way to escape thought. A mentality that I personally don't understand, but it drastically changes the truth of that.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I think there can be a differentiation made between 'mindless' entertainment and the corrosive content put out by YouTube and 'creators' like Logan Paul. YouTube is far more intrusive than any traditional medium has ever been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad