Is YouTube Done? (MOD Warning - See post #193)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Everyone keeps bringing that up, but I don't see why that matters or changes anything, personally. I don't think anybody believes that a light-bulb suddenly turned on in everyone's heads and this generation became possessed by pure evil or something. Circumstances have changed to allow sh*theads to be even bigger sh*theads given resources to create even more complexes. The disdain for it still should be proportional to that, IMO.

Reactions: G F O P

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I hate to even appear to defend Logan Paul/YouTube but 'Pool hopping' has been considered an innocent prank for generations now and its basically just kids being 'hip' by "breaking into private property".
This was not jumping over the fence to an outdoor public pool, the idiots in the video were in a closed building. On top of the that they took a zamboni out for a drive and possibly broke it with the way the backed it onto the ice.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
People deal with tragedy in different ways. from what I watched he/they were extremely shocked about what they saw. The face/body was blurred out, again I don’t see the big deal. The news shows dead bodies on television all the time. Maybe not as close but it’s the same deal and they’re monetied too.

I agree that people react to shock in different ways. Some just freeze, some with nervous laughter etc. But like is mentioned above, to actually decide to edit it and later upload it tells me something is seriously wrong with this guy.

Thought it would be the other brother who would mess up bigtime first though

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Honestly, my general repulsion to Youtube has less to do with Youtubers ACTUALLY doing anything morally reprehensible, like Logan Paul, and more to do with the general annoying/obnoxious speaking/ADD-video-editing/content delivery style that Youtubers like Phillip DeFranco have. It just gives me a gag reflex for some reason.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Honestly, my general repulsion to Youtube has less to do with Youtubers ACTUALLY doing anything morally reprehensible, like Logan Paul, and more to do with the general annoying/obnoxious speaking/ADD-video-editing/content delivery style that Youtubers like Phillip DeFranco have. It just gives me a gag reflex for some reason.

It's a phony style of delivery that's not as refined as say, talk-show hosts. It seems incredibly fake and obnoxious. It's too obvious a camera is present.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's kind of like.... the millennial-ized equivalent of phony radio host shock jocks combined with news-anchor-speak..... only high on caffeine/speed.... over-enunciating/emphasizing every other word/expression, and getting up on soap-boxes about serious subjects...... while trying to sound down to earth, relateable, and cool. I think the jump-cut edits after every sentence is probably the worst thing about it.

For some reason EVERY popular Youtuber seems to do it this way.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
It's kind of like.... the millennial-ized equivalent of phony radio host shock jocks combined with news-anchor-speak..... only high on caffeine/speed.... over-enunciating/emphasizing every other word/expression, and getting up on soap-boxes about serious subjects...... while trying to sound down to earth, relateable, and cool. I think the jump-cut edits after every sentence is probably the worst thing about it.

For some reason EVERY popular Youtuber seems to do it this way.

It's not that it is flashy, it's just that it is poor editing and poor delivery.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Holy ****....got a link that won't vomit pop-ups and require multiple page viewings to get the facts? :help:,
I think that website might be worse than Logan Paul.
I get none of that....got it off Facebook, George Takei posted it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
They are cutting him out of the top tiered ad program, not cutting him out all together. They are basically doing exactly what they did to Pewdiepie. Rip into his ad revenue and get rid of the exclusive series.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I gotta be perfectly honest, I like PewDiePie now. I don't wait with baited breath for a new video every day, but he has some interesting takes, and obviously has a very unique perspective on anything YouTube related.

A lot of media still won't have that conversation. They're looking at social media stars as just another entertainment resource like movie or television and they are not that at all. They aren't selling the same product. The Paul brothers and a lot of social media stars are selling their "life" as a brand. They're basically performing 24/7 (which reminds of Bo Burnham's 'Make Happy' on Netflix; go watch it).

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don't get this...I don't remember doing stupid things like this as a kid/teeenager. Maybe it's the opportunity for some sort of morbid fame online for 4 minutes, wanting the likes etc.
Was this not sarcasm?
I sure hope it was sarcasm.
I'm not sure if it was sarcasm.
It doesn't sound like sarcasm.
Sometimes sarcasm is hard to judge in text?
God I hope this is sarcasm.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
A lot of media still won't have that conversation. They're looking at social media stars as just another entertainment resource like movie or television and they are not that at all. They aren't selling the same product. The Paul brothers and a lot of social media stars are selling their "life" as a brand. They're basically performing 24/7 (which reminds of Bo Burnham's 'Make Happy' on Netflix; go watch it).
What conversation?

I am not going to watch a PDP video to find out what this conversation is, either.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
What conversation?

I am not going to watch a PDP video to find out what this conversation is, either.

The conversation about what YouTube stars are and how their brand is cultivated.

I would recommend watching it, even if it is just to shit on what he says. I would have had the exact same response to watching a PewDiePie video two years ago.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
YouTube's small creators pay price of policy changes after Logan Paul scandal

YouTube wrote in a blogpost that it would “better protect creators” and stop “bad actors” by raising standards for ad eligibility, requiring channels to have 4,000 hours of views within the past year and 1,000 subscribers.
Armstrong has nearly 12,000 subscribers, but only about 3,400 hours of views in 12 months, meaning she is being kicked out of the ad program.
“It feels like I’m getting punished for other people’s mistakes,” she said, adding that the changes encouraged “shock and awe” videos and not the authentic LGBT content that can help people struggling with their identities.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I gotta be perfectly honest, I like PewDiePie now. I don't wait with baited breath for a new video every day, but he has some interesting takes, and obviously has a very unique perspective on anything YouTube related.

It’s crazy and remarkable to think about. Logan and Jake Paul record their every day lives, edit it and upload it every day and get more views than a lot of TV shows that air once a week. Let that sink in.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It’s crazy and remarkable to think about. Logan and Jake Paul record their every day lives, edit it and upload it every day and get more views than a lot of TV shows that air once a week. Let that sink in.
It really shouldn't be surprising, though.

Consider that TV shows air only on a certain network that's usually only available in a country or two and only with a fairly expensive paid service that isn't linked to any other life necessities, and is only view-able in a very short window of time (one out of every 168 hours). Consider that the only way it gets viewed in addition to this is if either someone happened to be not only watching TV at that time but also channel flipping to the exact moment that it becomes interesting, or if they somehow became aware that it would be on and cared enough to anticipate and make room in their day for it.

It would be extremely unlikely that a more popular platform that has none of these limitations were not able to match those numbers, one way or another.

Last edited:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
people's bar for entertainment has been lowered

this applies for myself as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad