Is Tim Thomas HHOF or HHOVG?

HHOF or HOVG?

• Total voters

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Here's a little thought-exercise: what goalies do you think of when you hear the phrase "Cup-Theft?"

For me, I first think of 1933-34 Charlie Gardiner. ["Just go out and get me one, boys... just get me one."]
Next, I think of early 50s Sawchuk. Should I, though? Detroit's team had hella good position-players, too- including the finest one who had yet played.
Did Glenn Hall have a Cup-Theft in 1960-61? Well-- Chicago purloined its way past Montreal in the semis, with very good Plante being outperformed by (for that series, anyway) otherworldly Hall. [Respective save percentages: Plante .922, Hall .963]
Ken Dryden/Montreal- 1970-71, prevailing against the flow-of-play vs. Boston, then toying their way past Minnesota, and then come-from-behind cresting Chicago in The Final.
Bernie Parent, burgling the Bruins in that Final.

Then there's Tim Thomas. Are there any other "not-likely-to-be-an-HoFer" types who have a Cup Theft on their résumé? Not saying it's enough for him to have a plaque- just wondering out loud...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Here's a little thought-exercise: what goalies do you think of when you hear the phrase "Cup-Theft?"

For me, I first think of 1933-34 Charlie Gardiner. ["Just go out and get me one, boys... just get me one."]
Next, I think of early 50s Sawchuk. Should I, though? Detroit's team had hella good position-players, too- including the finest one who had yet played.
Did Glenn Hall have a Cup-Theft in 1960-61? Well-- Chicago purloined its way past Montreal in the semis, with very good Plante being outperformed by (for that series, anyway) otherworldly Hall. [Respective save percentages: Plante .922, Hall .963]
Ken Dryden/Montreal- 1970-71, prevailing against the flow-of-play vs. Boston, then toying their way past Minnesota, and then come-from-behind cresting Chicago in The Final.
Bernie Parent, burgling the Bruins in that Final.

Then there's Tim Thomas. Are there any other "not-likely-to-be-an-HoFer" types who have a Cup Theft on their résumé? Not saying it's enough for him to have a plaque- just wondering out loud...

obvious answer is patrick roy 86 and 93

jon quick had a doozy of a series giguering the 2012 canucks, albeit daniel sedinless, in five, kickstarting his 8th seed team on the roll that ended with their first cup. he stopped almost 90 shots in games 2 and 3 to put the kings up 3-0.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad