Is this version of Maple Leafs better then last year

Is current Maple Leafs roster better then last season

• Total voters

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Have to call out the bolded. While Barrie is no Josi, he's at worst on par with Gardiner on the worst of days defensively.

I respectfully disagree.
Story 1.png
Story 2.png

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I agree on all of the above. The one thing that is significantly worse this year is the 3rd and 4th line.

This was the 3rd and 4th liners to start last year

Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanan

today it looks something like

Mikheyev-Kerfoot- Moore
Thimashov-Gauthier-Spezza

Team is top heavy which may be fine in the regular season, that 3rd and 4th will struggle in the playoffs and there is no $$ to do any upgrades at the deadline.

That wasn't really our bottom six for most of the season though. Johnsson and Kapanen both split time between Mathews and the third lines (they were on the fourth line for like two games) and Kapanen will likely be back on the third again this season once Hyman is healthy. Leivo was gone at the start of December and Gauthier was added. Our bottom six was a bit of a mess last season.

Kadri is a big loss, no doubt (although he struggled last year), but on net I think our bottom six is stronger than it was for most of last season.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Leafs are overspending the Cap ceiling by $10.5 mil (Horton and Clarkson LTIR) this year to fit Marner and needed to deal Marleau with a 1st to resign Marner.

I agree that decisions will need to be made in the future, but this sentence in particular is meaningless. The Leafs' are not overspending the cap to fit Marner, our actual roster is cap compliant, as it is required to be. The Leafs are overspending the cap because of the Horton and Clarkson contracts, which disappear next season. It was a creative solution to a problem that was created six years ago when Dave Nonis signed Clarkson to a brutal contract. It has no real consequences now or in the future. There are arguments for why real cap space is better than LTIR relief but our roster is $10k below the cap WITH two actual injured roster players on LTIR, we were never going to have any cap flexibility this season regardless.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This years team vs last year does needs to factor in the opportunity cost of giving up 2 X 1st round picks (2019 and either 2020/21).

Lol what does this even mean?

Stop trying so hard to be obtuse.

Without giving up this years first, Marleau would still be on the team, which would mean no Johnsson or Kapanen.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
That wasn't really our bottom six for most of the season though. Johnsson and Kapanen both split time between Mathews and the third lines (they were on the fourth line for like two games) and Kapanen will likely be back on the third again this season once Hyman is healthy. Leivo was gone at the start of December and Gauthier was added. Our bottom six was a bit of a mess last season.

Kadri is a big loss, no doubt (although he struggled last year), but on net I think our bottom six is stronger than it was for most of last season.

I don't see them as stronger. Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Johnsson/Kappannen/Nylander/Hyman and Gauthier are regulars from last year who are back. some like Nylander should be much better but guys like Johnsson/Kappannen and Hyman all had breakout seasons last year. They should be better but development is not always linear (someone could regress).

Kerfoot Kadri- I see as a downgrade
Spezza is a down grade on both brown and Marleau. Spezza had 8 g 19A last year and was a minus 13 on one of the best defensive teams. Pretty much same stats the year before. He is done. Marleau was 16-21-37 pts. Even the much maligned Brown out performed Spezza with 8G 21A and a plus 11. Ennis chipped in 12 g last year- who replaces that.

They added Nick shore doesn't inspire much confidence. Is Trevor Moore ready to contribute? The 2 russians? who knows?

I see a few downgrades and a few question marks, a lot would have to go right to have a better bottom 6 this year. Its a function of spending all the money on the top 6. You need a steady stream of ELC talent and scrap heap reclamation projects when you are that top heavy. Guys are usually on scrap heap for a reason, if they are better it will be the ELC guys.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I wanna say yes; but my optimism is not as high as last season when we had signed JT and were gunning to have a really strong center depth with JT, Matthews and Kadri

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Forwards:

- Johnsson, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, Marner, Moore and Gauthier should all be better versions of themselves this year
- Tavares should be playing the way he did last year
- We might see Hyman take a step back with his injury
- Mikheyev should be an upgrade over Marleau
- Spezza will be slight downgrade on Ennis/Brown; Kerfoot is a downgrade on Kadri

Defense

- Rielly and Muzzin should provide similar play to last year
- Ceci is a good replacement for Hainsey, I dont think he will be too much better or worse than Ron
- Barrie is a MASSIVE upgrade of Zaitsev
- Dermott, Sandin and Marincin are all wild cards and have potential to make really solid contributions on the 3rd pairing

Goalie

- Andernsen should provide similar goaltending compared to last year
- Hutchinson is wild card at this point but should be better than Sparks

Overall I'd say we're a better team than last year

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I don't know how people equate Barrie and Gards. Gardiner was never ranked on any top 25 D man lists, has he?

I don't put that much weight in top 25 anything lists (unless they're actually based on something objective). Gardiner was seriously underrated.

Reactions: CDN24

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If they get past round one, the answer is yes. If they don't, the answer is no.

Nothing else matters, except playoff success.

They look better to me, but that's pretty worthless.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
:amazed:6-2 pre-season last year, 5-3 pre-season this year. I see a downward trend. ;)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Compared to beginning of last season? Absolutely.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Ennis
Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov

vs

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman*-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Shore/Timashov/Moore-Gauthier-Spezza/Moore

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott*-Sandin/Liljegren/Marincin

Compared to the team we had going into the playoffs? Meh. I'd say it's probably about similar.

I'd say the defenseman should be rated as such Rielly > Gardiner > Muzzin >= Barrie > Dermott >> Sandin/Liljegren > Hainsey > Marincin >= Ceci/Zaitsev. So we lost our 2nd best defenseman to a guy that's probably at best equal to Muzzin. If we were going to be playing Rielly-Dermott/Muzzin-Barrie/Sandin-Liljegren I think we'd have at least a bit of an increase in how good this team was from last year, but the fact is Marincin is replacement level, and Ceci is about as awful as Zaitsev. But, Ceci at least has some redeeming qualities offensively and we only have him for one season.

As for forwards, we lost our 5th best forward in Kadri, and we're hoping that Johnsson/Kapanen can fill that void offensively, and Kerfoot will be a viable replacement as the 3C. Mikheyev hopefully continues to be pretty clearly better than Marleau, and really our 4th line last season wasn't much either.

Who knows about our backup.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We're much better balanced even if the in/out is a wash. We traded from arguably the strongest center group in the league, to upgrade arguably the worst right-side defence in the league.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
We are slightly better than last year IMO

But Barrie is much worse than Gardiner defensively. It's not even debatable.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We are slightly better than last year IMO

But Barrie is much worse than Gardiner defensively. It's not even debatable.

Waiting to see how that turns out. From what I have seen, Barrie is a bit of a downgrade on Jake. The only sane explanation as to why we would not have signed Jake for 4m x 4 is because we know something about his injury, outside that it makes no sense.

No idea how to predict a team, they gel or don't. Last years didn't really gel.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I will wait until January 2020, I personally think this team is better on paper maybe but very very very soft...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not only is Barrie better than a healthy Gardiner by a substantial margin, but he is way, way better than a broken down Gardiner, which is what we are comparing to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad