Is this version of Maple Leafs better then last year

Is current Maple Leafs roster better then last season

• Total voters

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
On paper, this is the most talented team we’ve had since we one the Cup in ‘67. Now, let’s play some games.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
No Stanley Cups are awarded in October or November, but we are significantly better than last years version.

Nylander alone having a full camp makes us better. Kerfoot is a serviceable and better fit for 3rd line center than Kadri, and I am a Kadri fan.

Marleau added little on the ice last year, as did Brown. I like what Mik brings in the way of hustle and a heavier game.

Our defence is significantly improved, with Barrie improving our top 4 and Ceci so far complimenting Rielly nicely. I like his fit much more than Hainsey and Gardiner needed a change of scenery. Add to it a full season for Muzzin and an improving Dermott, and there is a lot to like going into the season.

Is it enough to win a round in the playoffs? We will see......

Reactions: ZEBROA

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As a few people have echoed it doesn’t matter what’s on paper. Proof is in the Pudding as they say. This is what needs to happen to be successful IMO:

• Matthews needs to stay healthy and have 90+ point campaign. Ideally he puts up the 5th 100+ point season in TML history
  • Nylander needs to return to form and put up 70+
  • Marner better have 85+ Given the deal he just signed
  • Hutch needs to be able to provide 25 decent games. He doesn’t need to be amazing but a solid Goalie and 15ish wins
  • Our D has a lot to prove, Ceci can he get back to his promising start of his career, how will Barrie and Muzzin be as a pair. Is Sandin ready and can our PK actually stop anybody
  • With all our firepower will we be top 5 in PP
  • Can our bottom 6 be better than our awful group from last year.
  • Babcock and the coaching staff, can they learn from being out coached the past two playoffs rounds losses against Boston
  • When the games get tighter at the end of the year are we gonna stand up and exert our will or fold like cheap suits and limp into the playoffs like last year

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Last year many posters scoffed at me when I said there needed to be significant changes - I suggested 5 to 8 players- before they even hoped to be in contention.

Too bad they couldn’t add a little more protection, grit and size - we have to worry a little about Mango, Moon and Butter Cup being intimidated.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I think they will be.

But our October schedule is Brutal so I expect some great some freakouts if our record isn’t stellar.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think they will be.

But our October schedule is Brutal so I expect some great some freakouts if our record isn’t stellar.
Schedule shouldn't matter if you're a good team.

IMO, only thing that should be tolerated is not showing up on time. Those days have got to be over.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Its all about the PK.

We need a better PK.

Especially vs Boston.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Team is definitely better.
  • The defense IMO is much better then last season
  • The young forwards have another year under their belt
  • Full year of Nylander.
I agree on all of the above. The one thing that is significantly worse this year is the 3rd and 4th line.

This was the 3rd and 4th liners to start last year

Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanan

today it looks something like

Mikheyev-Kerfoot- Moore
Thimashov-Gauthier-Spezza

Team is top heavy which may be fine in the regular season, that 3rd and 4th will struggle in the playoffs and there is no $$ to do any upgrades at the deadline.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I agree on all of the above. The one thing that is significantly worse this year is the 3rd and 4th line.

Leivo-Kadri-Brown

Mikheyev-Kerfoot- Moore

Team is top heavy which may be fine in the regular season, that 3rd and 4th will struggle in the playoffs and there is no $$ to do any upgrades at the deadline.

3rd line I would argue isn't worse. Mikheyev looks promising (Better then Leivo), Kerfoot can likely achieve the same as Kadri (becasue Kadri was playing 3rd line minutes) and Moore I like more than Brown.

4th line won't get a ton of ice time (even less in the playoffs)

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Leivo-Kadri-Brown

Mikheyev-Kerfoot- Moore

If the bottom two lines are worse than last season, then they’re in a bad way. I tend to think there’s been a upgrade on both lines. Granted Mikheyev has never played an NHL, he may struggle.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I believe we've improved the defence the most, including team defence. Granted we didn't play the greatest teams in preseason, but I don't remember Andersen breaking a sweat in his two shutouts. Less pucks shot at Andersen is crucial for improvement on last year. They seem more organized in their own zone, and they've minimized the gaps between the forwards and defence as well as minimized the ill-advised stretch passes.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Despite tough opening schedule the first 2-3 months of season are all about skill winning games. I think we should be in 1st place by XMAS. Then a drop off as season progresses and time and space reduces as real NHL hockey starts to get played. Hopefully we are up by enough that it does not matter. But it is all about our 1st round matchup. We need to pay close attention to who we will play. That is the most important issue for Babs to manage.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Yes, I think we are better.
We will miss Gardiner, and perhaps Kadri.
Gardiner is replaced by Barrie albeit on the right side, and nowhere near as sound defensively. But c'est la vie. I still think there is a reason we have Ceci instead of Gardiner, which could have been structured, and I think its the back issue that we are not getting details on.
Kadri is replaced by Kerfoot, bearing in mind Kadri had, by reason of personal, become our 3rd line centre. Neither Kadri or Kerfoot are defensive wonders, but the drop off in talent is not massive.
Add Sandin!!! That makes my heart warm.
All of our kids one year older.
Mikheyev over Marleau, massive upgrade.
Nylander for the whole season, and playing with Matthews, I actually think this may be the most dramatic improvement. My gut tells me expect a massive season from those two.
Hainsey down to Ceci, time will tell, I think this may end up a wash.
And what about Dermott when he comes back? Who sits????
Well, I think this is a pretty good team, balanced, not many flaws.
And even Babcock seems less stubborn and stodgy!!!
Can you tell I am pumped for the season?

Have to call out the bolded. While Barrie is no Josi, he's at worst on par with Gardiner on the worst of days defensively.

Magick93

Mar 4, 2004
I think the Leafs are more-balanced and better overall, but so are Tampa, who will be hard to catch.

But the Buds should be able to finish ahead of Boston and finally beat them in the first round!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yes but We will be hard pressed to retain this team and next year I can't imagine anything but a set back.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
As long as Matthews/Tavares stay healthy we should be better. Last year Kadri did well in the top 6 when Matthews went down.

If it happens again this year, we'll see how Kerfoot/Nylander hold up.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
goalies = probably better (but its hutch and he has good and bad streaks so who knows)
defense = overall better but im not sold on ceci getting top pair minutes. hainsey at his age was still better than ceci.
forwards = about the same. sure im happy marleau is finally gone but our 3rd and 4th line this year is worse then last year. kerfoot aint no kadri and spezza and the goat just suck and will not see december on this club.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Dubas has improved the two biggest team weaknesses (defense and backup goaltending) while keeping all of our core players.

the points might not be better (who knows, let’s play) and injuries could derail the season, but this is one of the best off seasons I can remember.

the team should be better this year

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
At forward, the question is debatable. We downgraded from Kadri to Kerfoot on the 3rd line, but we should (hopefully) have a revitalized Nylander ready to go this year. The gap between Nylander's last year and his two previous years is a big one. The conversation will be if #88 can rebound, and if Johnsson and Kapanen continue their breakouts.

We revamped the bottom six to be younger, faster, and hungrier. So far it looks to be working, but you know...preseason. We'll see how it does in the regular season.

On defense, we are definitely improved in my opinion. The issue still remains - can we play effective shutdown hockey? We know we can move the puck.

Goaltending is a wash.

The biggest question that we cannot yet answer is special teams. Hopefully the personnel and coaching changes can give us a much needed leg up.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This is unquestionably a better team than last year. This is the best team most of us will have ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad