Is this the year the cup comes home? [Canada]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Of the 5 Canadian teams that made the playoffs 4 of them had to play each other in the first round. :shakehead

Montreal is basically done.

Calgary will need a miracle to beat the Ducks.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Facing each other isn't an anomaly, not anymore. That will be quite common since the teams now play divisional semis and divisional finals in the first and second rounds, and the divisions are geographically oriented.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I hope it's the Jets who eventually break the streak just to see the reaction from Leafs, Habs, and Canucks fans. I think heads will explode.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Not really a "miracle". They just have to continue to win their home games and take one of the remaining road games.

The Flames played terrible in game 1. The Ducks played a perfect game. The score reflected that.

Game 2 however was a 1 goal game most of the way through and the Flames just weren't getting offense generated. The Flames showed they could defend the Ducks in this game (2 goals against + EN), but were shut out.

Game 3 was more closer to 60 minutes of Flames hockey, and the return of Raphael Diaz allowed them to get back to 6 NHL defensemen for the first time in the playoffs (but still short a Mark Giordano) but really they still played like crap making lazy drop passes, and shooting right into shotblockers. There's tons of room for improvement, especially Monahan who is much, much better than he's been in these playoffs and is likely nursing an injury, but also Gaudreau and Hudler (who is DEFINITELY nursing an injury). Still they scored 4, arguably 5 goals in the game, so it seems they're starting to figure out the offensive side of things. Lots of tightening up to do though, too many atypical gift-wrapped scoring chances.

The Flames have gotten better at hockey pretty much every time they've played certain opponents in the regular season (other than the Blues... The Blues just owned them). They've been doing something similar slowly in this series going from starstruck to competitive to gutsy.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Fingers crossed for a Flames-Bolts finals, once again. :yo:

Not for an "it's OUR Cup" reason, or any of that crap. I just genuinely enjoy watching these teams play, and think they'd put on the best series.

Facing each other isn't an anomaly, not anymore. That will be quite common since the teams now play divisional semis and divisional finals in the first and second rounds, and the divisions are geographically oriented.

I know, I mean American teams play eachother all the time. It's no big deal. :sarcasm:

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Your hope is on Calgary, Canadian fans :laugh:.

I'll hop on your bandwagon... while it lasts. :laugh:

I hope it's the Jets who eventually break the streak just to see the reaction from Leafs, Habs, and Canucks fans. I think heads will explode.

You would be disappointed with my reaction then as a Habs fan. I would actually be happy for the Jets fans and Winnipeg.

KingKane88

Apr 13, 2011
I didn't know the Cup's home was Canada. I thought it was just Toronto.

Was very confused opening this thread.

You are SEMI right....

The CUPS home is actually in Florida (believe it or not), it was dug up years ago in a Ship wreck off the cost of KeyWest.. :D The Spanish are the one's who found it, then shipped it off (via FED-EX) to Toronto (City name "YORK" at this time) back in 1795, where it stood until 1834. In 1834 when the City of YORK switched to the name "TORONTO", someone got SUPER PISSED, STOLE the CUP and then shipped it (via FED-EX) off to a friend of someones friend in Canada, only to end up in lord Stanley's hands in 1892, where he wrote a fake letter to the "victory celebration" stating they should have a CUP in Hockey, when all along the CUP he had was from the Spanish ship wreck and in his hands for years!!!

Case Closed! :D

You all gotta love these History lessons! ;)

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Of the 5 Canadian teams that made the playoffs 4 of them had to play each other in the first round. :shakehead

Montreal is basically done.

Welcome to the new NHL playoff format. An entire generation has passed since a Canadian team won it, it could well be another generation before it happens again. Bettman's plan is perfectly on track.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
20 years and counting.... the new playoff format ensures that the Canadian teams will be weeded out by round three.

Besides, the league (Gary), doesn't need to grow viewership in Canada, its already guaranteed.

edit: Yeah, I am very VERY sour on this as our fans routinely fill the arenas, watch hockey on TV, eat breath and live the sport,... yet name me one kid 21 years or younger who has enjoyed watching their team win it. 30 NHL teams, 7 Canadian, 23 in the U.S. Odds are roughly 1/4.... yet more than 21 years later....

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
20 years and counting.... the new playoff format ensures that the Canadian teams will be weeded out by round three.

Besides, the league (Gary), doesn't need to grow viewership in Canada, its already guaranteed.

edit: Yeah, I am very VERY sour on this as our fans routinely fill the arenas, watch hockey on TV, eat breath and live the sport,... yet name me one kid 21 years or younger who has enjoyed watching their team win it. 30 NHL teams, 7 Canadian, 23 in the U.S. Odds are roughly 1/4.... yet more than 21 years later....

I'm sure there are plenty, as many Canadians cheer for US-based teams. Keep thinking the league has it in for Canada though.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
I'm sure there are plenty, as many Canadians cheer for US-based teams. Keep thinking the league has it in for Canada though.

Don't need to, the evidence is starting to manifest itself.

Tell me, will there ever be an Eastern or Western conference finals between two Canadian teams? oh right... Playoff format ensures it wont happen. It is simply not profitable for that to happen. The league is already guaranteed sufficient revenue from the Canadian teams.

This is not about a dislike for the American teams, I love many of them. This is about playoff marginalization.

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010
Nobody has to tell themselves anything. Canadian teams haven't won a cup in 20 years because they haven't been good enough, plain and simple.

Unlikely. Better chance that it's all part of the most dastardly (and pointless) grand conspiracy in modern history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad