Is this the year the cup comes home? [Canada]

Status
Not open for further replies.

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
There is no evidence to suggest there are more hockey fans in Canada - on the contrary - which is why there are more teams in the US.

Truth is Canada just doesn't have the markets to support more teams because Canada doesn't have the population hence economics.

Then why do the Bluejackets get more money from the Canadian TV deal compared to the US TV deal?

Canada has room for more teams, non profitable US teams don't want more teams in Canada because it raises the cap floor and ceiling. Putting a team in any US city will not raise the cap because most US teams are not very profitable. The league would never release the data but I bet that only 6 or 7 US teams make a decent profit every year. You would be shocked if you saw which teams break even or at a small lose every year in the US.

Didn't your precious Hawks just make a small profit last year after 20 years of losses?

The Bad Guy

Registered Tool
May 5, 2015
Chicago
Didn't your precious Hawks just make a small profit last year after 20 years of losses?

Yeah, I believe that is a scam by the Hawks personally. Wirtz is making a killing by being half-owner of the UC, that money ain't in the Hawks balance sheets (he'd own 0% of the UC without Hawks ownership).

Personally I am for folding the Yotes, Hurricanes, Bluejackets, One Florida team, and the Blues :banana:

No one would miss them, less money would be shared with them, and David Backes would be out of hockey.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yeah, I believe that is a scam by the Hawks personally. Wirtz is making a killing by being half-owner of the UC, that money ain't in the Hawks balance sheets (he'd own 0% of the UC without Hawks ownership).

Personally I am for folding the Yotes, Hurricanes, Bluejackets, One Florida team, and the Blues :banana:

No one would miss them, less money would be shared with them, and David Backes would be out of hockey.

That's not how folding teams works...

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
If what you say is true, then perhaps it is time for Canada to re-create its own league in which the 'economics' work for passionate Canadian fans... the ones who fill the arenas on a nightly basis and don't have to be given tickets to show up during a Stanley cup playoff game. :sarcasm:

There are many great American markets for hockey and many great fan bases. Look no further than the four American original six and the expansion of several fantastic fan bases: St. Louis, Philly, Pittsburgh, the Islanders and New Jersey, Minnesota, Colorado, and the California teams (for example) - but to presume that the Canadian markets aren't strong enough to support a team is false.

There are seven strong Canadian teams and another two to three markets that could support a club: Markham, Hamilton, and Quebec. I'd even argue that Regina could support one. Nevermind that the best time to invade Canada is 7:00 EST Saturday evening when a huge percentage of the entire population is tuned into CBC... oh.. wait... Rogers Sportsnet.

Hamilton's main arena was orignally built to be home to a nhl team . i would love hamilton to get a team eventually.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Probably not now with Montreal being down 3-2. Still if they come back to win the series they might gain the momentum needed to win the Cup.

BoyWonderlic

Apr 21, 2015
Washington, D.C.
As an American, I definitely understand what Canadians mean by this.

If a Canadian team/s kept winning the World Series or Super Bowl for 2 decades, we Americans would lose our collective minds. There would be so much hatred that the two countries could not possibly exist in any forum at all about it. Hell, us Americans can't even coexist on ANY FORUM EVER about football as it is unless we are fans of the same team.

They want a party in their streets with their team. Doesn't matter the team in Detroit or wherever won it made up of Canadians. That party will be in Detroit etc.

Even though, for a Canadian team to win the World Series, Super Bowl or even an NBA Championship that team would have to be made up of mostly or all Americans, that's the same that Canadians are talking about here in hockey. And imo, they handle it a LOT better than us Americans ever would if the situations were reversed. Jmho.

They handle a lot of things better than we would. That can be a good and bad thing though. There's such a thing as being too nice. Sometimes you need to stand up for yourself. (not saying this is necessarily one of those cases)

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
It is annoying. It can die another death for another year. Makes no sense too. It's the NHL, not Canadian Hockey League or American Hockey League. The media is to blame for a big portion of it then others for drinking the kool aid.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
Going to be honest here, would be nice for the Cup to be awarded to a Canadian-based team but it has nothing to do with country vs country. I'll take Canada winning the Gold medal in the Olympics ever single time if I could only pick one thing. The fact is that these are club teams representing your city which happens to be filled with many talented players from all over. I'm a fan of the Sens and I'd like to see them get back to finals again but the Olympics(were it) for me!!

Meh, I couldn't care less about the Olympics. I'd take another Cup over 10 gold medals.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
The cup is in canada in toronto at the hockey hall of fame when it isn't traveling or with the winners of the cup.

PredsFanFromla

Jul 10, 2010
louisiana
There is a yes and no answer to this question.No,the Cup is not going home to Canada through a Canada NHL Team,Yes,the Cup is going home to Canada through Canadian Players playing on a American Nhl Team

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
The cup always comes home to TORONTO (where it belongs and will remain). Feels good living in the Center of the universe, Hockey mecca, Hockeytown, etc etc.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
the cup is more in Canada than any other place!!! look at the players!! who cares what city wins it!!!

True.

I just don't get these silly arguments. I want my team (Sabres) to win the Cup someday. Not because they are an American team, but because they are my home town team.

Save the nationalist stuff for the Olympics. I love hockey and have nothing bad to say about other nations that play the sport. Obviously, to me anyway, Canada is the king of hockey. That doesn't give me an inferiority complex because of that. Instead, I will enjoy watching Canadian, American, Swedish, Finnish, whatever players play the game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The cup always comes home to TORONTO (where it belongs and will remain). Feels good living in the Center of the universe, Hockey mecca, Hockeytown, etc etc.

Yeah, shame the team Toronto ices has a habit of losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad