Is This Team Blacklisted by Other GMs?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Burke only built a cup contender in Vancouver, a cup winning team in Anaheim, was about to do good things in Toronto but got fired and now Nonis is ruining the team and is looking to build Calgary into a legitimate force. Lowe got gifted Pronger, traded him for nothing and is still trying to recreate the 1984 Oilers.

Not defending Lowe's record in the last 8 years, but he was "gifted" Pronger and Burke wasn't (which basically cemented a cup win for him)? Sounds like they both trades at the time.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I would have taken Seguin. Most scouts said he was the better player at the draft and we needed a Centre bad. You'd think management couldn't get the first overall pick wrong, and they did. Scouting is horrible, not a late round pick on the roster. There are too many things wrong with this team, it is no wonder nobody wants to come play here.

I'm not sure how you figure they got the Hall pick wrong? I must have missed when the debate was settled. Hall is a hell of a fine hockey player in his own right. If there is any separation it's paper thin.

Nuge and Yak are really the picks that should be questioned at this point. Also thinking back to the Yak draft. I think a big part of the reason we passed on Murray is because we figured we had future Norris boy locked up. The fact that they thought they were set at defense because of this clown is a colossal failure.

I can't argue with the late round picks. They don't seem to be turning out which is disappointing.:shakehead

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
Are we losing 8-0 every game?

A team can be competitive and still lose.

We're past that point where we pat the team on the back because they played hard and lost but it was close. That's no longer acceptable. It's been long enough and now wins are the only thing that matters. Not how hard you played. Not how you outshot the opponent. And so on. Just wins matter.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
I dont know. Why did they spend a 5th round pick on Nikita Nikitin, a constant healthy scratch for those very same Blue Jackets, and then proceed to pay him $4.5M?

He could have been had for free. And he certainly isnt worth his wages.

ummm ... that's sort of my point. Why trade an asset like Perron to get Anisimov when a draft pick-- 3rd or 4th round --this summer will be able to acquire the player. And sometimes a player in one organization and in one particular situation can go to a new team/ organization and flourish (aka Sequin in Dallas) and sometimes the player is the same player everywhere, and that's sort of the "hope" with acquiring players like either Nikitin or Anisimov.

In terms of Nikitin, the Oilers didn't give up a player who is clearly superior (aka what they would do in a Perron--Anisimov swap), they just dumped a late round pick (and their drafting success of 5th round players is zippo nothing) for a chance at a bit of a "magic bean".

And thus far Nikitin has been mostly terrible ... but maybe a glimmer of a wee bit of hope was seen re: potential in terms of his goal against St. Louis, and he does have somewhat of a shot from the point too .... sure a bit of grasping at straws ... and at an unreasonable salary of $4.5 million??? (which isn't a good precedent in terms of the team's internal dynamics) ... but the Oilers weren't likely to acquire any sort of body who was playing real games in the NHL for that 5th round pick anyways--- ... when the Oilers actually acquire a Jamie Benn (like Dallas did) for that pick or something similar, that's when things have truly truly turned around for the organization and a "lottery pick" jackpot has come home to roost.

and Anisimov will he be soon a healthy scratch for Columbus??? as soon Dubinsky will be returning to the line-up AND since Boone Jenner (drafted #37 2011 after #31 David Musil) has the 3rd highest increase in total ice time in the league from last year to this year (14.08 min to 19.43 min) -- only exceeded by Brent Burns and Philip Forsberg ie Jenner has become the de facto #2 center in Columbus, and the Swedish kid?? Wennberg also made the team out of training camp tooo .... so once the team is healthy, Anisimov's spot in is jeopardy, ... wouldn't you say??? ... and at a cap hit of $3.3 million ... sort of maybe reminiscent of what happened to Nikitin in Columbus????

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not defending Lowe's record in the last 8 years, but he was "gifted" Pronger and Burke wasn't (which basically cemented a cup win for him)? Sounds like they both trades at the time.

Pronger wasn't gifted to either GM. The only thing that was 'gifted' was Anaheim's Stanley Cup team to Burke. That team fell on his lap when he was hired.

And he hardly built a contender in Vancouver. Remember Dan Cloutier?

Fat Balloon

Jan 20, 2010
The argument for Seguin would be that centre is a more important and hard to fill position. A true 1C is more important and harder to find that a 1LW. If it was Hall versus RNH, then the argument would be stronger for Hall.
I'm not sure how you figure they got the Hall pick wrong? I must have missed when the debate was settled. Hall is a hell of a fine hockey player in his own right. If there is any separation it's paper thin.

Nuge and Yak are really the picks that should be questioned at this point. Also thinking back to the Yak draft. I think a big part of the reason we passed on Murray is because we figured we had future Norris boy locked up. The fact that they thought they were set at defense because of this clown is a colossal failure.

I can't argue with the late round picks. They don't seem to be turning out which is disappointing.:shakehead

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We're past that point where we pat the team on the back because they played hard and lost but it was close. That's no longer acceptable. It's been long enough and now wins are the only thing that matters. Not how hard you played. Not how you outshot the opponent. And so on. Just wins matter.

This is hardly a pat on the back.

But I'd rather see the team lose through solid effort than win by dumb luck. We saw the team open a season 4-0 a few years back, but we all knew they very well should've been 0-4.

Weak teams crack sooner or later.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I would have taken Seguin. Most scouts said he was the better player at the draft and we needed a Centre bad. You'd think management couldn't get the first overall pick wrong, and they did. Scouting is horrible, not a late round pick on the roster. There are too many things wrong with this team, it is no wonder nobody wants to come play here.

This is completely the opposite of the truth.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
The argument for Seguin would be that centre is a more important and hard to fill position. A true 1C is more important and harder to find that a 1LW. If it was Hall versus RNH, then the argument would be stronger for Hall.

so .... by that logic it was a colossal mistake for Washington to draft in 2004 Ovechkin instead of Malkin ... hmmm maybe it was??? ... and the only recent year since Nash in 2002 in which it was better to draft a winger over a center was Kane over Turris in 2007

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
This is completely the opposite of the truth.

Hall was substantially the consensus #1 overall pick (only CS had Sequin ranked higher), and it was a "TSN media fantasy" labeled the draft as a "Taylor versus Tyler"

The whole Taylor/Tyler argument and the conjunctive sub arguments to follow however is a red herring. The problem in terms of Oiler's drafting is that they used to many of their top picks to draft a very similar type of forward, got to the well of drafting defenseman late in the game, AND have an abysmal record in terms of drafting 2nd 3rn 4th 5th 6th 7th round draft picks, AND have done an equally poor job of developing the picks that they chose.

Anaheim has on the order of 15 players on their current squad who they themselves drafted with the highest pick being Lindholm at #7, but includes a whole bunch of later first round picks (Getzlaf, Perry etc), and picks from 2nd and later rounds. By comparison the Oilers have been awful. Now drafting is an art and a science, but often the Oilers have drafted players when there were other players still on the table and the picks were head scratchers right off the bat eg Musil, Moroz, Pitlick, etc. Even recent picks like Nurse and Draisaitl had a drop questionable merit (versus Ristolainen or Nichushkin; Bennett, Dal Colle?) although certainly more a dose of need lumped into BPA which is part of the past argument in terms of drafting some or one of Eberle/Paarvari/Hall/RNH/ Yakupov/ before Nurse/Draisaitl

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

I don't know man. Is the guy really a number one center at this point? I believe he has spent a majority of his time at Rw. Dallas has tried to convert him to a full time center but even now he is shifted to the wing from time to time. It's not like this guy is a horse down the middle for them. How many #1 centers are fifth on their team in draws? He puts up a lot of points but the guy carrying the mail there is Benn. I don't think you see near the production with him here in Edmonton with Ebs and Yak as his wingers. In fact I would see that line getting absolutely buried as a teams #1 line.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad