Is This Team Blacklisted by Other GMs?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Just looking back at a few situations where this team has pissed off other organizations and possible burned bridges or management was too inept and inexperienced to make a correct move.

Honestly if this team would have just had the gumption to acquire Schneider and Seguin when they were in play this team would be significantly ahead.

I cant believe all the managements these geniuses have pissed off. I cant imagine Holland has these type of issues with half a dozen teams in the leage.

Vancouver wanted to move Schnieder. Oilers couldnt execute a trade and they took "less" from NJD instead.

Seguin to Dallas. Honestly the Oilers couldnt offer a better package and get a right hand shot centre of his calibre?

Smyth to LA injury-gate. Well publicised issues on the integrity of Oilers management.

Offer sheets to Vanek and Penner. Two organizations openly bashing Oilers management not wanting to trade with US. Burke even said in Anaheim someone else will have to deal with Edmonton he wont be involved.

Its bad enough that MacT now has to make a trade from a position of weakness but so many teams that we knowingly are aware of cant stand Oilers management and thats just compounding the problems.

:help:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I see the more likely answer; is simply that we need to trade our redundant junk for highly coveted pieces, and the GMs are sick of hearing about how we want their highly coveted centers, or 1st pairing RHD for our 'project' players (No team has a surplus of such players BTW).

Every player on our team (except maybe Perron, Nuge, and the Wagon Line) are 'Projects'. If a team trades for anyone on this team, they can expect a LOT Of development time, and a lot of teaching simple basic defensive plays, forging them into more useful players.

Gagner, Cogliano, MPS, Dubnyk, etc, etc, all went onto teams that need to 'rebuild' them as the players they should have been all along.

Remember when we got Gilbert Brule? And the work that was needed to transform him into a semi-useful player for a season? That's what most of our roster is.

Pedigree and potential are not worth what the management seems to think it does.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The problem is they have to fix what we've broken.

Sometimes we break it beyond repair. Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky for example.

Sometimes you can get them from us before we've really messed them up though.

That's why Perron's the trading chip. We haven't completely broken him yet. We're well on our way though. By end of year. He'll never be able to play on another team again.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Vancouver traded Schneider out of the division. There was value to them in not having the team and fans constantly seeing his old team.

The Seguin thing could he said about a lot of GMs. Same for Bishop

I think now teams want an overpayment because they can. We are desperate to change. They are less desperate.

Even so, there have been a ton of Oiler trades in recent years. Trades are generally rare when you think about all the teams out there, all of which have needs, and yet one could could the major trades in a year on one hand

There is no bad blood with LA we have made a lot of trades with them.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Black balled in the past, yeah I think it was a factor in some cases. Now it is just a matter of teams wanting to take advantage of a newbie Gm who tells the world his whole plans and serves info up on a silver platter for all to see and hear. Holmgren was really working MacT over at his 1st draft.

Now with the cone of silence from the Gm position we can assume one of two things. 1) Things are just so bad that he is afraid to say anything lest he look foolish once again or 2) Perhaps he has learned what the average joe blow dumbass would know and keep your mouth closed as a gm and just do your job. (btw where are all the people from on here that blasted Tambo for not saying a word and lauded mact for telling the world and beyond what he was going to do?)

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
Not by GM's. By players.

Put yourself in the shoes of any guy who plays for an NHL team. Would you willingly come here? Would you want to be coached by Eakins? Would you want to work for Lowe? Would you want to play on a team that loses virtually every game it plays?

This franchise has got to be viewed as a joke around the rest of the league, and I don't say that as an insult but as a matter of fact. If you were to conduct a poll to find out which city most frequently appears on no trade clauses, I'd bet my dog it's this one.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I'm pretty sure the Oilers have made the most trades in the league since MacTavish took over, so I don't think there is no problem with the majority of NHL teams not wanting to do business with us. We have switched out two thirds of the roster since he has taken over.

The main problem is this team trading players when there value is at it's lowest point. Our top line from the cup run in '06 (Horcoff, Hemsky, Smyth) have all since been traded and the best asset we have left from those deals is a 3rd round pick in this years draft from Ottawa. Our kid line who Mr. Lowe stated was the future of this team in 2009 (Gagner,Nillson, Cogliano) are all no longer with the team and all we have to show for it is a boat-anchor in the form of Purcell and Marco Roy, who will likely never play an NHL game.

Stoll and Green------Visnovsky------Whitney--------nothing

Lupul-------Pitkanen--------Cole-------O'Sullivan--------nothing

Tom Gilbert---------Nick Schultz-------nothing

Sheldon Souray--------nothing

Raffi Torres---------Brule-----------nothing

I think I see a trend here. Turning top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen into absolutely nothing. Now what other team in the league has this kind of track record in the last 8 years? Combined with our poor drafting in this period, is it any wonder we are still at the bottom of the standings?

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
My take on the Perron - Anisimov rumors.

Oilers and Jackets were close to a deal.
Oilers wanted Jackets to add a little more (potentially Erixon).
Jackets were hesitating.
Oilers leaked to press that other teams were interested in Perron.
Jackets called the Oilers bluff and viewed it as bargaining in bad faith.
No trade.
Oilers tried to re-start trade talks and Jackets basically said sure but now we want Perron plus for Anisimov.

I think if you bargain in bad faith, or have a history of such other teams will start treating you like used car salesmen and have little time for you.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Your examples are poor, Schneider was not traded to us (unless for king's ransom) for obvious reasons. And I would still take Hall over Seguin. If anything other GM's are eagerly waiting for the fire sale to begin. Burke is a ****ing joke and laying any claim that he has something to do with Calgary's success is laughable, which you didn't…just saying. If anything teams are eagerly waiting for the fire sale to begin. If we had Holmgren or Snow at the helm they probably would have flipped the roster over a couple of times already. I wish the Oil would have pursued Halak, he was the goalie the Oil needed. IMO I think MacT is being as painfully diligent/gun shy as Tambo was in the past, which of course goes completely against what he stated when he got the job. I don't know what's more damning a GM afraid to make a mistake or a trigger happy guy willing to throw caution to the wind. There must be a happy medium somewhere.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Your examples are poor, Schneider was not traded to us (unless for king's ransom) for obvious reasons. And I would still take Hall over Seguin. If anything other GM's are eagerly waiting for the fire sale to begin. Burke is a ****ing joke and laying any claim that he has something to do with Calgary's success is laughable, which you didn't…just saying. If anything teams are eagerly waiting for the fire sale to begin. If we had Holmgren or Snow at the helm they probably would have flipped the roster over a couple of times already. I wish the Oil would have pursued Halak, he was the goalie the Oil needed. IMO I think MacT is being as painfully diligent/gun shy as Tambo was in the past, which of course goes completely against what he stated when he got the job. I don't know what's more damning a GM afraid to make a mistake or a trigger happy guy willing to throw caution to the wind. There must be a happy medium somewhere.

Burke got rid of their last GM, Burke brought in a new GM. Burke having nothing to do with the Flames success is akin to saying Lowe has had nothing to do with the Oilers failings. Simply not true.

Eirhead*

If you're a gm, I don't see why you want any Oilers besides our top young player. And at that, you're not going to give up an important cog from your team to take a player from a team that has sucked royal crap for the last 8 years.

If anything, the trades coming our way are going to be the biggest loser trades. This team is effed until the entire management team is scrubbed and we trade away at least half of our "top young guns" and develop a more blue collared mentality that Kevin Lowe absolutely decimated as GM.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Burke got rid of their last GM, Burke brought in a new GM. Burke having nothing to do with the Flames success is akin to saying Lowe has had nothing to do with the Oilers failings. Simply not true.
Can we give him credit for TO as well:laugh:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
The only hard and fast rule for GM's is that you don't trade a top player off your roster to a team within your own division. Other than that, some GM's feel comfortable trading with people they have worked with in the past.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Boston got essentially four NHL players in the Seguin deal. Two emerging fowards, an elite level two-way forward and a top end defensive prospect.

Outside of the defenseman, we had none of those.

Not to mention, its likely that Chiarelli coveted Eriksson as he looked like the prototypical Bruin.

Our NHL level forwards own inflated contracts and our forward prospects were and are nowhere near making noise at the NHL level at the same level a throw in like Reilly Smith has.

Acquiring Seguin is a fantasy.

Last edited:

Eirhead*

What I would do, is trade Yakupov to the Winnipeg Jets for future at the deadline.

Make it appear as though we're having a fire sale.

Watch how much Yakupov succeeds on his new team.

Next off season, make it clear nobody is off-limits. Strategically reset the team by making atleast 1 or 2 more MAJOR trades. Build a freaking defensive lineup somehow. A clear #1 D-man, and a bunch of 3 and 4s that don't play soft as balls. Gonna have to trade those precious precious forwards bros. Start next year with Draisaitl, McDavid, and a couple UFA veteran centers on overpaid 3 year contracts. This ****show needs to be burned to the mother ****ing ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
They're just being patient for the inevitable MacY desperation trade.
He's gonna get rekt. Hopefully not.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To reply to the OP's question...

Our inability to develop our prospects effectively has severely hindered our ability to make a trade to improve the on ice product. Many opposing GMs want what we can't really afford to give up if we want to remain competitive.

Sometimes the best deal is to not deal. And I believe that has happened on a number of occasions.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Jackets were hesitating.
No trade.
Oilers tried to re-start trade talks and Jackets basically said sure but now we want Perron plus for Anisimov.

I think if you bargain in bad faith, or have a history of such other teams will start treating you like used car salesmen and have little time for you.

Exactly. These guys end up pissing off so many management partners. Pretty soon only person that they are going to be able to make trades with is Sather.

Last edited:

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Boston got essentially four NHL players in the Seguin deal. Two emerging fowards, an elite level two-way forward and a top end defensive prospect.

Outside of the defenseman, we had none of those.

Not to mention, its likely that Chiarelli coveted Eriksson as he looked like the prototypical Bruin.

Our NHL level forwards own inflated contracts and our forward prospects were and are nowhere near making noise at the NHL level at the same level a throw in like Reilly Smith has.

Acquiring Seguin is a fantasy.

Eberle/Schultz for Seguin would have easily been accepted at the time of the trade. But like everything else Schultz was a future "norris winner" and Eberle was a sure fire 40 goal man.

These guys WAY WAY over value their assets.

I couldnt believe Edmonton missed out on this at that time.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think we can at least admit he is willing to make bold moves. Sometimes they work (Sedins) sometimes they dont (Kessel).
Burke loves to make good press. And if you think our mgmt. is arrogant, I think Burke takes it to a whole new level. And my dislike of him has nothing to do with defending Lowe in any way. I think Burke made Lowe look really stupid and although his reasons were very self centered, he didn't like being taken advantage with the Penner offer sheet. The reaction was completely justified and I think RFA offer sheets are pretty under handed. The Oilers have done some pretty dumb **** over the last few years, that being one of them. In TO, I think Burke's arrogance got the best of him but I can't really say Lowe is any different, both are egomaniacs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Jackets were hesitating.
No trade.

are you going to criticize the team for something that only happened in your head?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad