Is This Team Blacklisted by Other GMs?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Nobody wants our junk and that's all we're willing to part with.

That's basically it.

BINGO!!!

Oils need to give up to get... They NEED to trade some of these bigger named players. The problem is though that I think they have waited too long and their value has dropped. Sure if I were a GM I would trade for a few of them, and I guarantee I would have given up way more in an offseason trade or a start of season trade. Honestly right now I don't know what id give for Yak.. I think he is underperforming big time and as each game passes, the more unimpressed I am. Where as in offseason I would have traded a lot.

I really hate seeing the Oilers hit rock bottom like this cause the fans are passionate and always stick behind the team no matter what. And unfortunately I think fans will be mad at the return the Oils get when they do make trades. Cause like I said, I strongly think MacT has waited too long and players trade value has dropped significantly

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Can we give him credit for TO as well:laugh:

Dissing a guy who though overrated has actually accomplished some things in this league does nothing at all to make our brilliant A team of management any better at their jobs.

You remember that 'Bold' comment? At least Burke has walked the walk on that one. I'd take Burke over our keystone cops group 10 times out of 10.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think we can at least admit he is willing to make bold moves. Sometimes they work (Sedins) sometimes they dont (Kessel).

And it is not as if Kessel has been a bum, people pick on the guy for being soft and pudgy but he's also one heck of player that has lead their team in scoring ever year he has been there i believe.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The closest offer we could have made to rival Dallas' would have been something like Eberle, Klefbom, Pitlick and Moroz.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is the problem

off the table are

Hall, Nuge, Eberle,Schultz--slightly off the table LEon and Yak and 2015 first rounder

the oilers want to get something good for the other stuff and most of the other stuff is crap

It is not about blacklisting it is about the fact for a player like PErron you are not going to get a clear 2c or a dman who cal haul 20+minutes a night safely

for what the oilers need it will cost and mact is afraid to pull the trigger on a bold move for fear of losing it

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Im not really sure what MacT is scared of. I think a huge trade will save his job where as doing nothing will have the city of Edmonton continuing their hate for him and him getting fired

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Dissing a guy who though overrated has actually accomplished some things in this league does nothing at all to make our brilliant A team of management any better at their jobs.

You remember that 'Bold' comment? At least Burke has walked the walk on that one. I'd take Burke over our keystone cops group 10 times out of 10.
Is there a neither button to press. Lowe and Burke are a wash. Both have had their success and failings at the GM position, and have been ousted at that role. Like I said earlier, by no means am I defending our disastrous mgmt. team but I don't have much respect for Burke either. Outside of hockey the guy is a very honourable and he has shown some remarkable character taking up his son's cause. Fire Lowe and hire a smart man, that's all I have to say:laugh:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Eberle/Schultz for Seguin would have easily been accepted at the time of the trade. But like everything else Schultz was a future "norris winner" and Eberle was a sure fire 40 goal man.

These guys WAY WAY over value their assets.

I couldnt believe Edmonton missed out on this at that time.

I don't disagree with the idea that our management has bought in too much to the 'rebuild' and 'core' hype. It's almost as if one of the big three got moved they'd deem it a failure. This is a factor in why it might be a good idea to purge the current management.

Those guys still have obscene value on the trade market, but I don't agree with your idea that Boston would've moved Seguin (and Peverley) for Eberle and Schultz. This is simply because I believe that Loui Eriksson had more value than Eberle at the time and Boston likely wanted him to begin with.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Piss off other GM's ? LMAO. If anything, they'd WANT to deal with us. Andrew Cogliano and Kyle Brodziak say hi.

Put away the tin foil hat.

Last edited:

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I think that it's important to note the importance that was placed on the rebuild from 2010-2012. All of Edmonton's eggs were placed into 1 basket with players like Hall, Eberle, RNH, Paajarvi, etc and trading away those players was going to be met with a ton of resistance.

So instead of doing the #boldmoves that needed to be done, the team has simply held onto it's shiny gems which aren't actually all that shiny because the future of the team was placed on THEIR shoulders.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
are you going to criticize the team for something that only happened in your head?

Agreed, people here are going crazy.

People are criticizing Oiler management over things that they have imagined have occurred...

Nuts! Isn't there enough real things that management has done to criticize over?

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Vancouver wanted to move Schnieder. Oilers couldnt execute a trade and they took "less" from NJD instead.

Seguin to Dallas. Honestly the Oilers couldnt offer a better package and get a right hand shot centre of his calibre?

Its bad enough that MacT now has to make a trade from a position of weakness but so many teams that we knowingly are aware of cant stand Oilers management and thats just compounding the problems.

:help:

Are you taking crazy pills?

Oilers couldn't get Schneider because the Canucks asked for MORE from a divisional rival and the Oilers balked at the price. What part of that don't you get?

Seguin to Dallas? You're criticizing the Oilers for not getting Seguin? The Oilers didn't have the assets needed unless you think the Oilers had anyone equal to Loui Eriksson at the time? And 28 other teams also failed to get Seguin - how are the Oilers any different?

People are going absolutely crazy here.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Not blacklisted but it's obvious that the Oilers management are desperate to improve the team and other GM's will want to take advantage of that.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not blacklisted but it's obvious that the Oilers management are desperate to improve the team and other GM's will want to take advantage of that.

That's exactly whats happening.... Other GM's are rubbing their hands together cause they know they will be able to make a trade and not give up nearly as much as they woulda earlier on. Ive said many times, I strongly feel Oilers fans will be outraged at what Oilers get in return for any trade that happens

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Im not really sure what MacT is scared of. I think a huge trade will save his job where as doing nothing will have the city of Edmonton continuing their hate for him and him getting fired

Except a huge trade in this case would be a desperation trade. Hercules is going to soon clean out the Aegean stable that is the Oilers organization... I don't want MacT making a desperation trade to save his job. Leave that core player deal to the hopefully competent GM.

Or to Mark MEssier, I mean whoever they hire.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Just looking back at a few situations where this team has pissed off other organizations and possible burned bridges or management was too inept and inexperienced to make a correct move.

Honestly if this team would have just had the gumption to acquire Schneider and Seguin when they were in play this team would be significantly ahead.

I cant believe all the managements these geniuses have pissed off. I cant imagine Holland has these type of issues with half a dozen teams in the leage.

Vancouver wanted to move Schnieder. Oilers couldnt execute a trade and they took "less" from NJD instead.

Seguin to Dallas. Honestly the Oilers couldnt offer a better package and get a right hand shot centre of his calibre?

Smyth to LA injury-gate. Well publicised issues on the integrity of Oilers management.

Offer sheets to Vanek and Penner. Two organizations openly bashing Oilers management not wanting to trade with US. Burke even said in Anaheim someone else will have to deal with Edmonton he wont be involved.

Its bad enough that MacT now has to make a trade from a position of weakness but so many teams that we knowingly are aware of cant stand Oilers management and thats just compounding the problems.

:help:

We just made a trade with VAN this year.. minor but a deal to prove no bridge was burned..

Seguin 28 other teams failed to acquire.

LA - smyth ... we traded for Scrivens

BUF - Vanek ... we traded Omark

ANA - Penner ... we traded for Fasth

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Yeah my point exactly. Say what you want about Burke being a pompous executive full of self bravado but he has definitely backed up his boldness claims.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Are you taking crazy pills?

Oilers couldn't get Schneider because the Canucks asked for MORE from a divisional rival and the Oilers balked at the price. What part of that don't you get?

Seguin to Dallas? You're criticizing the Oilers for not getting Seguin? The Oilers didn't have the assets needed unless you think the Oilers had anyone equal to Loui Eriksson at the time? And 28 other teams also failed to get Seguin - how are the Oilers any different?

People are going absolutely crazy here.

Obviously the Canucks wanted more. What was OFFERED was less than what the Devils gave away.

Eberle and Schultz werent better than Ericksson at that time?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Is there a neither button to press. Lowe and Burke are a wash. Both have had their success and failings at the GM position, and have been ousted at that role. Like I said earlier, by no means am I defending our disastrous mgmt. team but I don't have much respect for Burke either. Outside of hockey the guy is a very honourable and he has shown some remarkable character taking up his son's cause. Fire Lowe and hire a smart man, that's all I have to say:laugh:

Burke has won a cup and built a president's trophy winner team that makes the playoffs almost every year in Vancouver.

Kevin Lowe has done none of these things.

It is not a wash.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
I'm pretty sure the Oilers have made the most trades in the league since MacTavish took over, so I don't think there is no problem with the majority of NHL teams not wanting to do business with us. We have switched out two thirds of the roster since he has taken over.

The main problem is this team trading players when there value is at it's lowest point. Our top line from the cup run in '06 (Horcoff, Hemsky, Smyth) have all since been traded and the best asset we have left from those deals is a 3rd round pick in this years draft from Ottawa. Our kid line who Mr. Lowe stated was the future of this team in 2009 (Gagner,Nillson, Cogliano) are all no longer with the team and all we have to show for it is a boat-anchor in the form of Purcell and Marco Roy, who will likely never play an NHL game.

Stoll and Green------Visnovsky------Whitney--------nothing

Lupul-------Pitkanen--------Cole-------O'Sullivan--------nothing

Tom Gilbert---------Nick Schultz-------nothing

Sheldon Souray--------nothing

Raffi Torres---------Brule-----------nothing

I think I see a trend here. Turning top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen into absolutely nothing. Now what other team in the league has this kind of track record in the last 8 years? Combined with our poor drafting in this period, is it any wonder we are still at the bottom of the standings?

Well thats just depressing.

Its true though about trading players when they have value. We're looking to move Perron this year when he has 2 goals ..why not trade him last year then?

Looking at the history wanna guess what happens to Petry? :help:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
No, the opposite.

Other GM's know this team usually makes trades out of desperation, or which are emotionally driven. As such, they hold their ground, and take advantage of our management 9 times out of 10.

Any GM that would kill a trade of Comrie for Corey Perry and a 1st, because Comrie wouldn't pay back his signing bonus, is a GM you can take advantage of.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Obviously the Canucks wanted more. What was OFFERED was less than what the Devils gave away.

Tell me what the Oilers offered?

The Canucks wanted a first round pick (Nurse), second round pick and a prospect that was Marincin. Oilers decided that was too much. Here's a link.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/20...nucks-premium-edmonton-oilers-cory-schneider/

In the end the Canucks traded Schneider for just the Devils first round pick (9th overall) (Bo Horvat). Here's a link from a Vancouver writer.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/0...ls-for-the-9th-overall-pick-select-bo-horvat/

Eberle and Schultz werent better than Ericksson at that time?

No they most certainly weren't.

At the time, Eriksson was a 27 yo winger scoring 60-70 pts a season with a reputation for strong two way play. That was exactly what the veteran Bruins were looking for - someone they could plug into their system and help them compete for a Cup. He had a cap hit of 4.25 million.

Along with Eriksson, Dallas traded top prospects Joe Morrow and Reilly Smith.

At that time, Schultz had just finished his first lockout shortened season with a mere 48 games under his belt bleeding -17 for the season.

Eberle just finished his third season but was signed to a new contract with an annual cap hit of $6 million per season.

Neither Eberle or Schultz were what the Bruins were looking for - veteran first line player who could play a two way game. And Eriksson's cap hit was lower than Eberle.

If the Bruins wanted more kids like Eberle and Schultz - they would have simply kept Seguin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad